PDA

View Full Version : Countrywide Financial Data Theft - Beware!

T Baggins
September 17th, 2008, 02:23 PM
If you haven't heard, Countrywide Financial announced last week that they had a bunch of data lost or stolen or whatever...

If you bank with, have loans with, or have credit cards with Countrywide - you'd better watch your accounts closely. Whoever stole the data is already off and running with it. My card was used this morning to buy a bunch of computer stuff from Dell.

Countrywide caught it as fraud (the transaction initiated outside of the US) and they shut my card down before it could go any further.

Now I am without a credit card, but I guess that's better than having some JA charge shit all over the world on my account.

Just trying to spread the news...

dragos13
September 17th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Thats crazy, I dont use Country Wide however I did have my credit card number used last week by some company in Mexico. Again, the fraud group caught it and saved me alot of cash. This was with Wells Fargo. It pays to watch all your accounts very closely, daily if you ask me.

gsnyder828
September 17th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Interesting... I just had a card frauded over the weekend. No link to Countrywide, but strange that 3 of us in such a small group had it happen.

Moto-Mania
September 17th, 2008, 06:23 PM
My chase VISA card was frauded with purchases in Australia last month.

JenJen
September 17th, 2008, 06:48 PM
well well well you guys are in luck that I happen to work at a bank & I see this stuff all of the time.

Advice: Do not use your debit or credit card to pay for anything on-line if you have on-line banking and on-line bill pay use the bill pay option.
The way bill pay works is if your bank has a relationship with a certain company the money is automatically debited from you account, If they do not have a relationship with your bank then you bank will debit your account and make a check payable to the company you need to pay. Your account number will not show up on the check it will show an account number that in monitored by the bank.
If you have any other questions about it i would be happy to try to help!! :D :D

benfoxmra95
September 17th, 2008, 07:26 PM
"T Baggins"]My card was used this morning to buy a bunch of computer stuff from Dell.

sorry tony that was actually me I needed a new laptop...