PDA

View Full Version : Bio's for MRA Board Nominees

Wild Cheetah 612
September 16th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Just thought I'd start a thread for the nominees to post their online bio's just in case some of you would rather see them now than just on your ballot.

Guess I'll go first...

Being a member of the MRA Board of Directors is all about time, dedication and service to the club. It is a tremendous amount of work if one is in it to better the club. A Board member, especially Rider Representative, must listen to the racers, conduct conversations to get racer input and advocate for the racers’ wants and needs at all times.

My first objective as Rider Representative is to make sure your race weekend goes smoothly. I don’t choose to bust you, the racer, for infractions, but inform you and help you ride smoothly through the protocol and modus operandi of the MRA. Other Board members have jobs that require them to act as the police. My job is to represent you, not work against you. Though there are times when I've not been able to support a member due to a large infraction. I many times ride around the pits to make sure all is well with you, all your responsibilities with regard to the rules are being met, help you with concerns or problems that arise and celebrate your successes with you.

I began my service to the club with the usual four hours of novice time cornerworking. Since then, I manned the booth at the International Motorcycle Show, worked the booth at many MRA PR events at Fay Meyers and Arena Cross at the Pepsi Center. I attend and contribute my ideas at the Rules Committee Meetings. I’ve worked with and continue to work with novices on and off the track. I wrote a column for over a year for the now defunct Rocky Mountain Rider newspaper discussing the MRA, races, and how to become a racer. I was a member of the Board of Directors of R2SL and worked the events in 2004 and 2005. I’ve been a Board Member of the MRA since 2006 as a Rider Representative. I’ve attended and taught at all of the MRA Race Schools since. In 2008, I headed up the PR Committee for the MRA and completed many objectives to get the MRA name out to the public to attract racers, spectators, and cornerworkers. And I’d like to give special thanks to Marty (of 12Volt Tavern) and Glenn Carlson for their dedication to this past year’s PR Committee. I’ve been in charge of the trophies and trophy sponsors for two years. I’ve fought for many riders with issues and represented them to the Board to resolve their problems.

The MRA is a family and we must work and live together if we are to continue to be the best we can be. I would appreciate your continued support and your vote in the 2008 elections!

Thank you,
Donna (Bowden) Turner
MRA#612
MRA Rider Representative 2006-2008

rybo
September 17th, 2008, 03:34 PM
My name is Scott Rybarik, and I approve this message.

Last week I took the opportunity to nominate some folks that I thought would be assets to the MRA board, so you can imagine my surprise when one of them contacted me, thanked me for the nomination and then said “glad you got a nomination too”. I returned to the thread to see that it was indeed true. I’m thankful for the vote of confidence and the opportunity to serve the MRA community.

I didn’t expect to get nominated, so I have been spending the last few days thinking about what it is that I can bring to the community, and why you might want me on your board of directors. Here is what I’ve come up with. I’m not one of the fast people, and I’m never going to make my living racing motorcycles. As a result I view my “paycheck” from the racing experience as the amount of fun I have doing it. I get paid when I get to the starting line knowing that it’s racing, and anything can happen. I get paid when I stand on the sidelines and cheer for my friends who are out on the track dicing it up with another rider, I get paid when I have a great battle with another rider on the track and they come over to my pit afterwards to shake my hand and tell stories about the race. Most of all, however, I get paid when I get to help introduce someone to the sport, help them find a line, or assist them in getting their bike running so that they can go racing. These are the kinds of experiences I like having at the track, and ones that I would hope to be able to cultivate for more riders if elected.

There are a lot of things that go into having fun on any given race weekend. Fair and honest competition, an adherence to the rules and a community where it’s safe to disagree are all part of the “work” that goes into making this fun. If you decide you’d like to have me as one of your rider representatives in 2009 you will have someone committed to these values and someone who cares deeply about our reputation beyond the paddock. You will have someone that will listen carefully to you when you have an issue or a suggestion and work with you to improve our community. Most of all you will have someone who enjoys the camaraderie of the MRA and will work diligently to maintain and improve our organization so that we can continue to attract and retain people that love the same things we do.

In my short tenure as an MRA member I’ve done my best to be an active participant. I don’t always make the monthly meetings, but I have participated in the rule change meetings each year. I’m an active member in the Colorado Sportbike Club and use that venue to introduce new riders to the track. Many of these folks have taken the MRA school and some of them are racing with us today.

Again, I’m glad to have this opportunity. See you at the track!

Scott

T Baggins
September 17th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks for starting this thread Donna, I'll chime in as well...

If elected Vice President of the MRA for 2009, this will be my third consecutive term as VP. Prior to that I was a rider rep multiple times, worked on the yearbook committee, made all the trophies, etc, etc, etc... I've been a member of the MRA since Mark Schellinger was a young man and since before half of you were out of diapers (1990).

For better or for worse, being the VP of the MRA in many ways defines who I am as a person. I'm nutty, but accountable. Competitive, but careful. Firm, but compassionate. Intelligent, but full of crap at least half the time. I have committed a fair amount of my adult life to competing in, and serving the MRA - and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm far from perfect, but I care about this club more than any of you could ever know. I feel it MY job, first and foremost, to ensure that the MRA continues to live and thrive as we move ahead into what will be a very exciting time for roadracing in Colorado. I don't expect everyone to agree with every decision I make, but I hope history will show that I always acted in the best interest of the health and future of the MRA.

I could still do better with the contingency part of my job, as far as getting it all turned in to the manufacturers more timely - but frankly it has been MUCH better this year (save for the times we couldn't get accurate results out of the database) than in years past. I've been able to get the bike manufacturers results within 24 hours of receiving them from Jen (or Kristina) which has never happened before! This is mostly thanks to Jen and her efforts - so thank her, not me.

Certainly there are numerous people in the MRA who are better qualified, and would be probably be more competent in the position of Vice President than I. Should any of these individuals ever run for the position, I hope that you would give them strong consideration and not just blindly vote for me because I've done the job for so many years, or because I'm funny, or handsome, or whatever. Whether or not they would share my passion and committment to roadracing, and whether or not they would keep coming back for better or worse would ultimately be the burning question I'd want answered before I cast my vote.

I've been around for some of the best and worst times in the history of the MRA, and with the opening of High Plains and the resurrection of PPIR I am confident that the next few years will be among the best ever! I hope to be your Vice President as we move ahead into these great times, but rest assurred - I'll be there and involved whether I'm re-elected or not.

Peace!

dragos13
September 17th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks Donna!!!

My name is Casey Dragos and I ride for team Young Blood Racing. Currently, I am completing my second season with the club. I have not been around forever like some other members, however I am very dedicated to the growth and direction of this club. I am a younger guy that will bring new ideas to the board and be a voice for other newer racers and old racers alike.

About me, I regularly attend the riders meetings at the Walnut room. I have been to the rule change meetings for the last two years and I am very familiar with the process. I help to promote the club at various events, trying to bring in new racers and spectators alike. I understand that this club is here because of its members, and the board should be here to represent those members. It’s not the staff that makes the MRA, it’s the racers who show up every weekend.

I am positive in my ability to represent all the riders in this club. I will work hard to make sure every voice is heard and create an environment where protests can be made without someone being called a crybaby. I know the rule book from front to back and would make every attempt to create something that works for everyone.

I enjoy helping out new riders who are just getting into the scene. Our team has picked up 4 new riders this year and has been helping them to succeed. Being a novice just last year, I understand how intimidating and just plain scary the race scene can be. Aside from attending nearly every trackday, creating a relationship with novice riders, and assisting as much as possible, I will promise continued support and accurate representation of the riders that usually need a rider rep.

The club has a great future in front of us with the opening of HPR, and the return of PPIR. I will do what is in the best interest of the club, and whatever it takes to keep tracks open and riders racing. I plan on staying with this club for many years to come, and will continue to provide both on and off the track regardless of this election.

1ofTheBoys
September 22nd, 2008, 07:25 AM
Some of you know me as 1 of The Boys but my name is Sheila Paul. I have been racing with the MRA for the past two seasons. My daughter, Amanda has been very active in helping me with racing and I would not have been able to make it through the season without her help. We are at almost all the MRA meetings and I have been active at the rule change meetings.

I am also a board member for the “Racing 2 Save Lives” (R2SL) charity and have been successful at promoting the charity for the past two years. I have attended many events around town as well as out of town to help promote R2SL and the MRA.

Starting out as a new rider is not easy, especially if you do not know anyone in the race community. Many new racers don’t know where to go or what to do to get started racing. That is where a Rider Representative comes into play. The current Rider Representative have been very helpful answering questions, showing me lines, even working with me to get my bike ready for the race weekend.

It is in my nature to help people and I get a personal sense of accomplishment when doing so. I am active in answering questions for new racers as well as pointing them in the right direction if I do not have the answer. As a Rider Representative I will continue to promote the club as well as work to recruit new racers and spectators. I enjoy being a part of the MRA and would like to have the opportunity to be a Rider Representative and give back to the racing community.

I want to take this moment to thank all my sponsors as well as all the people in the race community that have helped me make it through the past two seasons and look forward to racing and being an active member of the MRA in the years to come.

Lisa G
September 29th, 2008, 07:55 PM
First off, I want to say that I am thankful for the nomination. This past year I have gotten the chance to get to know a lot of you and I am looking forward to being a part of the MRA board if I am elected. I started coming around the race track in 1994, when I was pregnant with our first child and was hooked. It started out as a spectator sport, until 2002 when my husband, Ray-Ray #16, started racing, yes I gave in! We have made this sport a family thing for us. Both of our children have grown up around the track and some of the MRA racers have gotten to know my son Logan very well this year. He certainly enjoys coming to the track and cheering on his favorite racers.
I have been in the mortgage industry since 1992 and have been a treasurer for various non profit entities including Racing 2 Save Lives. My current position is Operations Manager for a branch in Parker, CO. This current job holds me accountable to timelines, reports and checks and balances.
During my time as treasurer of Racing 2 Save Lives, I was blessed, and I do mean that, with the task of collecting monies and disbursing these funds to Children’s Charities. I was also responsible for registering riders at the events, collecting the fees and donations and balancing the books for the end of the tax year preparation.
My goal as Treasurer of the MRA is to keep the Board members up to date on all finances. I am a very organized, dedicated person who will be at every general meeting to answer your questions. I plan on working closely with the Secretary to insure that the race day go as smooth as possible.
Thank you for this opportunity!

Ray-Ray
September 30th, 2008, 10:30 AM
To the MRA family,

If I were to be elected for the VP of Rules and Tech for 2009 it would be my second consecutive term. I was the air fence caption from 05-07. I was the head corner marshal from 03-04 and corner worked several years prior to that.

Well, were do I start? 2008 had many challenges for me as the VP of Rules and Tech. I feel that I have made a positive impact on the MRA during this time. I made safety a priority and made sure we all are abiding by the rules. Helmet safety was an example. How many people actually checked the manufacture date code on your helmets prior to this year? How many people finally safety wired their exhaust springs? This year has been a HUGE learning opportunity for me and I’d sure like to continue that in 2009.

So why would I like to continue being the MRA’s VP of Rules and Tech in 2009? I would like to continue my work with the club. I feel that because of my proven dedication to the MRA, my enthusiasm for racing, and my previous experiences I would make a great VP of Rules and Tech. I’m very approachable and I would be fair and ethical in all decisions I would need to make, both large and small. I’ve been involved in the club long enough (in a variety of capacities) to understand what it takes to be the GREAT VP of Rules and Tech - and I would be honored to take on the responsibility again in 2009.

Thanks,

Ray-Ray #16

grant_me_rev's
October 1st, 2008, 12:15 PM
Aye Everyone, its Sash! You guys have got me hooked, let me tell ya… starting with just a single race in ‘06, partial season in ‘07, full season in ‘08, and now waiting for '09 to begin, I must admit… I am addicted to the MRA! With the energy and camaraderie my fellow club members have offered the past years the MRA has become a very important part of my life.

Many of you know that I am also an advocate for women participating in the sport, as displayed by the petition and creation of the Ladies of the Rockies sponsored by Michelin®. As a whole the club has embraced and encouraged LoR, in return we have seen the grid mature with women dedicated to improving their skills and returning for more. I plan to keep the momentum going with the support of the MRA, who consistently displays supportive efforts towards each and every racer.

As a devoted member of the MRA team, I would be honored to be one of your 2009 Rider Representatives. I am dedicated, friendly, approachable, and an enthusiast for the sport of racing. As an ambassador for the MRA I hope to give back as much as have received from all of you. I wish to be a strong voice in the club and for all the members that comprise it.

With the return of PPIR and the completion of HPR on the horizon, your 2009 rider representative has many opportunities to work hard for you in promoting the club and for adding new membership. New membership is the key to the continued growth and fortitude of our wonderful club. I intend, as a Rider Representative, to focus on developing members, both new and existing, to further the goals we have for this strong and longstanding organization.

I would like to thank Scott Rybarik for the nomination of Rider Representative. The opportunity to represent the MRA is a privilege and I greatly appreciate the consideration. I would also like to wish all of the candidates the best of luck with their respective nominations.

Thank you for your support in the election!!! Let’s go racing already!

Sasha Taranto, MRA #186, grant_me_rev’s

hcr25
October 3rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
I am proud to be have been nominated again as a rider Representative. I have been racing with the MRA since 1995. During this time i have seen a lot of changes in our club, some good some not. I think it is important to continue making our club grow and get better. I feel I have experience needed from racing with the MRA and numerous other clubs to be a positive impact as a rider rep.
I love being able to instruct new racers and help out my fellow competitors however I can. I have been a rider rep for the last couple of years and would enjoy to be one again next year.
I think I have missed 1 or 2 general meetings in the last 8 years and have been involved in the rules committee for the past several years.

Thank you in advance for your vote.

Mike Applehans #25

Slider
October 3rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Thank you for the nomination!!

Hello my name is Ara Maranian and 2009 will be my 3rd year of road racing with the MRA. If elected for rider representative in the 09 season, I will continue to help out new and old riders always trying to make the smoothest and most successful race weekend with track side assistance. I will help bring the voice of all riders to the board with open communication at and away from the race track by, attending meetings and local motorcycle functions. I will also spreading awareness of the growth of the club with new and old riders and new and old tracks!

About me, since becoming a member of the MRA I started to regularly attend the general meeting and still continue to this day. I ride for Team Young Blood Racing. This past year we’ve gone a different direction trying to help out new riders by actively helping them out at trackday during the off-season; and adding 4 new racers to the team. The new direction also includes helping out new riders with smooth and successful race weekends and this will continue in the years to come.

With the future of the MRA growing and the increase in the knowledge in our sport, I am very excited to be a part of it all. I am also thrilled to have the opportunity to be a rider representative for the Motorcycle Racing Association in the upcoming 2009 racing season.

Thanks

Ara Maranian | MRA #469

Timmay!
October 6th, 2008, 09:43 PM
It’s election time again, and I’m honored that I was nominated for a position on the board. I have been racing with the M.R.A. for eleven years, and served as a board member for the last four out of five. I was Track Marshal in 2006 and 2007. Before that, I served you as a Rider Representative in 2004 and 2005. I have genuinely enjoyed being on the board. To be able to help guide the direction of our club, and to take an active role in making it a better organization, is very gratifying.
If elected to the position of Track Marshal I will give you every bit of energy, integrity, and fairness I always have in the past. When making my determinations I can assure you that I am looking at the issue from the perspective of both a rider and of an administrator. I am a known quantity. Give me your vote if you like how I did the job before, if not, you can always vote for my opponent! :P