PDA

View Full Version : Glenn, we gonna switch to this sometime?

glenngsxr
September 10th, 2008, 07:02 AM
We should at least look into it. Glenn #62

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=34111

chris nami
September 10th, 2008, 08:00 AM
oh, imagine that...an idea that could actually save a racer some f'n money. LOL its a scam couldn't possibly be true...

dave.gallant
September 10th, 2008, 08:04 AM
oh, imagine that...an idea that could actually save a racer some f'n money. LOL its a scam couldn't possibly be true...

It won't save us any money if the complete system is more expensive since our entry fees would be paying for it.

And, RFID is one of the least secure protocols on the planet right now, and a decent programmer could do some serious damage to the "results" if given the chance... 8)

Obviously everyone will be watching this very closely, including AMB!

rforsythe
September 10th, 2008, 09:17 AM

It won't save us any money if the complete system is more expensive since our entry fees would be paying for it.

And, RFID is one of the least secure protocols on the planet right now, and a decent programmer could do some serious damage to the "results" if given the chance... 8)

Obviously everyone will be watching this very closely, including AMB!

I guarantee you our transponder system is equally insecure, just less-easily attacked since the technology takes a little more knowledge to toy with. RFID hacking can be done with electronics you can get for $50 now. RFID at least has the potential to be encrypted (though weakly at best), an example being newer access badges that actually employ a challenge-response method since they were being easily cloned (we had a security engineer at work even demo that a couple weeks ago). Any idea if these RFID scoring transponders use that as a security method? If so it would at least move the chances of tampering into the "extremely unlikely at club racing levels" range due to the knowledge and cost required.

It'd be an interesting way to cheat, by toying with the electronics. Certainly easier to use a funny windscreen or those evil air ducts. :lol: (Ok just kidding.) In the MRA at least, it isn't a foolproof method to win however, since we have humans backing up the transponders taking scoring as the bikes cross. In the case of a gross discrepancy, the scorekeepers' multiple records would likely override the transponder system, assuming the results were protested (properly...sigh) in time.

benfoxmra95
September 10th, 2008, 09:31 AM
so all i need is a gp bike and to attend a uspru race, and gallant in my pit with a laptop and I'll win every race and set lap records that no one will ever touch.

Davey, you ready to do some traveling?

dave.gallant
September 10th, 2008, 09:32 AM
so all i need is a gp bike and to attend a uspru race, and gallant in my pit with a laptop and I'll win every race and set lap records that no one will ever touch.

Davey, you ready to do some traveling?

Sign me up! I love GP bikes...

Scored51
September 10th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Damage to the results? That would never happen in the MRA. :D Actually, there's enough going on that results seem to need constant massaging at this point anyway. Anyone trying to maliciously distort the results would simply be another interference.

These passive chip systems have been used in triathlons and bicycle races for some time. It's funny how at the larger races (registration of a couple of thousand) give the things away, while the small time race organizers still want the ID tags turned in after the race is over. Our racers would love the $25 late fee for a $0.40 item.

I'll give them a call to find out if they have any product information that can be sent out. However, it is true that changing systems will cost money, and I"m certain the club members will not want to burden themselves by spending a dollar in order to save a few pennies during their racing careers.

dave.gallant
September 10th, 2008, 09:47 AM
While your sarcasm is noted, I am not sure the exact intent or reasoning behind it?

Scorekeeper
September 10th, 2008, 10:49 PM
So, what will an old, blind lady do for fun on race days? It keeps my mind active, trying to figure out all the Novice bike numbers on the left side, hauling down the straight at Pueblo, and hoping that if I miss one or two that the transponder system will catch what I miss. Talk about massaging....Ben??? I'm still laughing :lol:
Chris

chris nami
September 11th, 2008, 08:26 AM
my sarcasm comes from a place deep in my gut... cuz i know that no matter what it is, it always costs the racers...kind of like taxes. :shock: :lol: