PDA

View Full Version : It costs how much to race????

24gt
September 6th, 2008, 06:58 PM
My friend was talking to a guy to a guy who races and he said that it costs around $2000 a weekend to race? Now thats at a higher level then i will proubly ever be at. But the question remains how much does it cost to race? I know theres entry fee's ($50?) plus race school ($2000) but other than that besides tires what else is there?

rforsythe
September 6th, 2008, 07:52 PM
My friend was talking to a guy to a guy who races and he said that it costs around $2000 a weekend to race? Now thats at a higher level then i will proubly ever be at. But the question remains how much does it cost to race? I know theres entry fee's ($50?) plus race school ($2000) but other than that besides tires what else is there?

Entry fees: $140 for your first sprint race, it goes down from there. Saturday endurance races cost $50 and are a great way to race for not a lot of money.
Race school: $150-ish I think. Not even close to $2K.
The rest is all up to how cheap you are, really. You can camp at the track, or stay in hotels. Buy new tires, or use take-offs from others. Use a barebones tool kit, or bring the whole show. Enclosed trailer versus open or pickup bed. The list goes on.

As a novice you won't be blowing $2K a weekend, unless you're doing a lot of races, buying way more tires than you need, and probably breaking parts on your bike. Especially as a slower newer rider, I think a $300-500 is a good ballpark depending on how frugal you can be.

24gt
September 7th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Really!!!! Race school only costs around $150ish. Dang that is way cheaper than what I thought. And I can be frugal, I have no choice I am way broke. Thanks for the info.

Jon
September 8th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Two things that don't mix are broke + racing. Because if you think about it, if your broke when you start and use credit cards and the credit cards at 7% where does that leave you?
My suggestion would be to get a cheap bike. SV or EX and do track days till you can blow all your friends into the weeds, wait till you actually have money and then go racing. You'll be way happier with the final results and so will your bank account.

cromer611
September 8th, 2008, 01:52 PM
shit, I wasnt broke till i started racin. If you combine the Ramen diet the same week you buy tires and pay for entry frees you might have enough money for gas and food to get down to pueblo. it is doable : P

besides ramen diet helps cut weight to get those good drives outa corners!

oh and also bring a tent and sleeping bags.

kfm61
September 8th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Consider Jon's advice, and take a realistic look at the cost of this new addiction you're about to get into.

Don't use credit to race. If you can't pay for it, just sit it out that race. Once you get your budget worked out you'll have more fun than you can imagine!

Racing does get expensive, and like good equipment, you can start with the basic for lessons, but in the end, you'll want more advanced lessons and those cost more as well.

Personally, I spend about 700-800 per race. If you start doing national events and travel figure a bunch more! I normally spend some time with my camper, and the rest renting hotel rooms.

Good luck!

bluedevil
September 9th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Don't use credit to race. If you can't pay for it, just sit it out that race. Once you get your budget worked out you'll have more fun than you can imagine!

Thats a toughy.

I raced ONLY Endruance this weekend, total price to enter and pump gas for bike and ride to Pueblo. $127.00. 8) so it can be done cheep. just depends on what you are looking to get out of it.

My average cost with tires, race fuel, entry fees for 2-3 sprints and 1 endurance, and travel expenses is $600-800 a weekend.

Though I have spent as much as $1100 ish on a double header event.

So there is a wide range of cost and Im sure some spend far more than I ever have.

Id say my cheepest season (total cost) in the last 6 years was about $3500 ish and the highest was about $16,000

T Baggins
September 9th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I raced an RS125 (competitively I might add) last year and literally ran the entire season on one set of tires. $300

About 3 gallons of gas per weekend. $500

One top end kit mid season. $200

Bike was $3500, but I had raced two years on it so $1750.

$2750 for the year, bike and hard parts.

$3000 for the year for food, hotel and gas.

$6000 is about as cheep as you can do it, imo.

Definitely DON'T race on credit! It took me 7 years to pay off my first full season of racing. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Begin each weekend with the assumption that you will be tossing your bike in the dumpster on the way out of the track on Sunday night. If you can't live with that prospect, you're racing too nice of a bike.

NEVER NEVER NEVER race a bike you're making payments on.

The best way to make a small fortune racing is to start with a large one.

cromer611
September 9th, 2008, 09:54 AM
seriously im at maybe 2000$ for tires, gas, and entry fees this year so far.
yall got some deep pockets.

T Baggins
September 9th, 2008, 10:38 AM

so the bike was free? Gotta figure that in too don'cha?

Hotel or are you "sleeping rough"?

dave.gallant
September 9th, 2008, 12:08 PM
You have not had to replace a chain or brake pads or pay for oil changes this year?

How about fuel to get to the track? That is a big budget item now for many of us.

No crash damage this season? (if not, keep it that way! :) )

Just a note for our novices: Please check your brake pads and sprockets on a regular basis. Those things do indeed wear out. It is also a great idea to flush your brake fluid once per season (some of us do it much more) as racing fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs water).

Oh yeah, and change the oil and wash that darn motorcycle while you are at it!

motobum
September 9th, 2008, 03:55 PM
918$ what am i doing wrong? does that sound right? how are you guys only spending 500-700$ a weekend?

rybo
September 9th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Benny,

That's about what I'm doing.

Ways to make it cheaper:

Camp at the track
Run take offs
carpool with another racer, split hotel/gas costs

froth
September 15th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Dude! You're riding WAY too fast, and wearing out the tires! Back off to my pace, and just see how long they can last :lol: Of course, not many bike have reverse, like mine :wink:

bluedevil
September 16th, 2008, 11:44 AM
entree fees for 2 races 210$
tires 368$
hotel/food 160$
gas (pump gas for generator, bike, and truck) 150$
oil change 30$

total = 918$

what am i doing wrong? does that sound right? how are you guys only spending 500-700$ a weekend?

Endurance race entry fees = $60
Tires = Significantly cheeper on Bridgies than $368 (and get on the box 2 times in 1 weekend and they R FREE )
Gas: Drive a 4banger Honda CRV with Harbor Freight trailer behind it getting ~22 mpg.. PMP and back in less than 1 tank ~ $52.00 (Generator is Champion Checker and runs forever and a day and a a half on a tank. = $12) (Pump gas in bike (~$20 helps, but if need to run VP add ~$80 bones)
Hotel: No need sleep at the track or run only Endurance and go home, or split hotel with some one to lower costs.
Oil change: Who does that? haha unfortunately with K&N filter and Silkoleen Pro 4 it does cost me a smidge more than $30 on that one. so U win

Total = ~ $400-700

froth
September 16th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Second what Dion is saying. When you're on a really tight budget, endurance give you the most bang for the buck. IMHO

elvis8310@hotmail.com
September 21st, 2008, 09:31 AM
Got to love racing in America. Here is the run down on racing in Europe.
150 euro race fee's= $220
360 euro for 1 set of tire(we use 2 sets a weekend)= $530
$4.15 per gallon gas(some of our tracks are 8 hrs away)

Then you have food, race gas at $9 a liter and all the other stuff. I spend at least $1500 or more a weekend to race.

Hell, you all race cheap. I am so looking forward to hitting Colorado in December. If I don't get sent to the desert again I am so racing.

cromer611
September 21st, 2008, 08:09 PM
You have not had to replace a chain or brake pads or pay for oil changes this year?

How about fuel to get to the track? That is a big budget item now for many of us.

No crash damage this season? (if not, keep it that way! :) )

Just a note for our novices: Please check your brake pads and sprockets on a regular basis. Those things do indeed wear out. It is also a great idea to flush your brake fluid once per season (some of us do it much more) as racing fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs water).

Oh yeah, and change the oil and wash that darn motorcycle while you are at it!

chain is nice and clean/lubed all the time. Just changed pads in round 9.
fuel isnt much in my beep beep jeep.
and no crash dmg this year so far

cromer611
September 21st, 2008, 08:11 PM

so the bike was free? Gotta figure that in too don'cha?

Hotel or are you "sleeping rough"?

bike was free, came with my wife : P
And no I sleep very well in my tent and blow up mat. I dont "Sleep Rough" at all.

cromer611
September 21st, 2008, 08:15 PM
Oh yea, and food..... go to safeway, buy bread, and ham. maybe some mayo, mustard...maybe some cheese? $8?

dave.gallant
September 21st, 2008, 09:31 PM
OK - So there can be some cheap racing.

I raced on $9 worth of pump gas, free take offs, and travel $ this weekend. 4 races and an endurance.

(on my CRF450 motard ) :shock:

Cheap thrills. More cheap than thrilling, but a good time none the less and something to consider for those on a serious budget. Stock motor, stock suspension slightly lowered, 17" wheels, go race. Not fast, but it is racing none the less!

Scored51
September 21st, 2008, 10:14 PM
Fast enough to take home third place in Colorado Class!

BTW, I have your trophy and it will be available for pickup at PPIR. I'm sure it will be the start of a pile now that your racing again Dave. :D

cromer611
September 21st, 2008, 11:27 PM

I raced on $9 worth of pump gas, free take offs, and travel $ this weekend. 4 races and an endurance.

Cheap thrills. More cheap than thrilling, but a good time none the less and something to consider for those on a serious budget. Stock motor, stock suspension slightly lowered, 17" wheels, go race. Not fast, but it is racing none the less!

that was cool to watch you zip around the track on that motard : )
how is taht stock suspension in turn 1? : P

elvis8310@hotmail.com
September 22nd, 2008, 05:00 AM
how is taht stock suspension in turn 1? : P[/quote]

So as seeing I have never been on one of the Colorado tracks, is there something special I should know about turn one?

kfm61
September 22nd, 2008, 09:09 AM
Hey Dave, I followed you into turn 1 in the Colorado class. I'll tell you what, I almost forgot that 400 pounds of Thruxton wasn't going to turn like your Motard!

Dang, it's bumpy on the outside of turn 1 ! Bike jumps, parts hit, and I start muttering single word sentences like "S*&#, F@^*%, over and over really fast!

Fun time though! Oh yea, back to the point of this thread.....

Cost of this weekend racing;

Race fee $190.00
Truck fuel $130.00
Race fuel 10 gal. $162.00
Race tires $250.00
Gen. & scooter fuel $ 20.00
Safeway food & water $ 40.00
Beer for team $ 20.00
Dinner w/ team
manager $ 78.00

Total $ 890.00

Scarin' the crap outta myself ! Priceless! :shock:

I did not add hotel expenses. I also did not add my averaged maintenance costs for race or support vehicles, or averaged insurance costs of any kind. I keep track of every cost of my racing. Tracking of these costs in this manner keeps me from going out of business, in this case, going out of racing.

dave.gallant
September 22nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
Hey Dave, I followed you into turn 1 in the colorado class. I'll tell you what, I almost forgot that 400 pounds of Thruxton wasn't going to turn like your Motard!

Dang, it's rough on the outside of turn 1 ! Bike jumps, parts hit, and I start mutterng single word sentances like "S*&#, F@^*%, over and over really fast!

Fun time though!

Those Thruxtons sound so sweet singing down the front straight there at Pueblo. :)

The motard turns great, that is for sure! It definitely has some room for improvement though as I run out of gear about 100 feet before start/finish line and the front chatters so much it blurs my vision! :shock:

Still, it was a lot of fun helping fill out the class and being back in the Colorado Class. I have not raced in that class since like 2000!

http://www.12pointracing.com/albums/kx500/kx500_pueblo.jpg

(My KX500 was like twice as fast as this 450! And Mark Erickson and Chuck S have wicked fast roadracer 500s)

cromer611
September 22nd, 2008, 12:03 PM

So as seeing I have never been on one of the Colorado tracks, is there something special I should know about turn one?[/quote]

Turn one is fast and bumpy : P

elvis8310@hotmail.com
September 22nd, 2008, 12:17 PM

So as seeing I have never been on one of the Colorado tracks, is there something special I should know about turn one?

Turn one is fast and bumpy : P[/quote]

Ok, so as long as I have built forks and a new rear shock all is good then(25 mm Ohlins cartridge inserts and elk rear shock already on bike).

motobum
September 22nd, 2008, 12:32 PM

how did you gear it compared to imi?

dave.gallant
September 22nd, 2008, 12:38 PM

I put the smallest rear sprocket I could buy on it, which is 5 less teeth on the rear than IMI.

I am probably 6-8 teeth off from where it needs to be with the stock motor.

The 450X has a wide ration transmission, and Jeff Winter on his CRF450X/RS125 is 11(ish) teeth taller than I am and his works well at Pueblo.

motobum
September 22nd, 2008, 12:49 PM

I put the smallest rear sprocket I could buy on it, which is 5 less teeth on the rear than IMI.

I am probably 6-8 teeth off from where it needs to be with the stock motor.

The 450X has a wide ration transmission, and Jeff Winter on his CRF450X/RS125 is 11(ish) teeth taller than I am and his works well at Pueblo.

holy crap do you have to be on the rev limiter to get it off the line?

i bet ppir will be fun on a 450

dave.gallant
September 22nd, 2008, 12:52 PM

Nah - it out-launches anything else on the grid pretty easily still. ;)

motobum
September 22nd, 2008, 12:54 PM

lol thats awesome

dave.gallant
September 22nd, 2008, 12:57 PM

lol thats awesome

I took my time getting off the line because a few thought I jumped the first few starts since I shot through like 5 rows in the first 25 feet.

The only problem was that by the time I hit the timing light area, I was already in 5th gear at close to max RPM! :shock:

motobum
September 22nd, 2008, 02:39 PM

lol thats awesome

I took my time getting off the line because a few thought I jumped the first few starts since I shot through like 5 rows in the first 25 feet.

The only problem was that by the time I hit the timing light area, I was already in 5th gear at close to max RPM! :shock:

hahahaha man i wish i wasnt so broke and could join you... are you going to be at imi for epics race this weekend?