PDA

View Full Version : how often do you change brake pads?

toptier
August 14th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I'm a noob when it come to stuff like this but just like the title says. How often do you change your pads? Are brake pads like tires and have heat cycles? TIA

dragos13
August 14th, 2008, 02:04 PM
First, what type of pad do you currently use?

When I was using Ferodo Carbon pads, they would be low in life after one race weekend. I have since swapped to Carbane Lorraine and they last about 2-3 race weekends.

Most pads are like tires, there may be meat left but the material will not "bite" like its suppose to. Some fast guys change pads after just one ROR race.

toptier
August 14th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I'm using EBC HH, they have 2 race weekends and two track day's on them and still have some meat on them. So I guess I should probably change them out for the next race.

DingleBerns
August 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM
i thought the fast guys don't use their brakes.....

motobum
August 14th, 2008, 02:26 PM
holy shit... i use like 2 or 3 sets a season

T Baggins
August 14th, 2008, 02:32 PM
holy shit... i use like a set every two or three seasons.

JimWilson29
August 14th, 2008, 02:36 PM
i thought the fast guys don't use their brakes.....

Dingle you're a fast guy! Do you use your brakes?

I just changed mine the first time this season prior to last weekend and the pads i started the season with were not new. That could be why I suck on the brakes and Doug keeps outbraking me into turn 1..... :roll:

motobum
August 14th, 2008, 02:38 PM
holy shit... i use like a set every two or three seasons.

ya but you and your bike are a combined weight of 300lbs

polar x
August 14th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Veshra pads. They last me one season on the big bike. The TZ will prob get a change just for the hell of it at the end of the season regardless of whether it needs it or not.

Jon
August 14th, 2008, 03:37 PM
What are these brake things you guys are talking about?

JimWilson29
August 14th, 2008, 04:07 PM

http://smiliesftw.com/x/eyeomfg.gif

2Blue
August 14th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Good question! Mine have 9k miles, 6 race weekends and a few track days. I guess I need to spend some more money! :roll:

bluedevil
August 18th, 2008, 06:07 AM
mmm I was using EBC HH's and Kit pads and only got 1 weekend out of them (Bout 4 sprint races and pactice)

Switched to Ferodo 211's and I have the same set on my bike I had 3/4 the way through last year 8) Though they dont bite quite the same as when they are fresh, they are just now getting noticably softer (to me)
Love the 211's

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
August 22nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
They're things like Ducati cam idler wheels & "rubber band" cam drives. You know, things that break. 00--00

isbkracing
November 5th, 2008, 05:06 AM
I guess a lot has to do with the type of track, in india, on one track (kari speedway) eats up your break pads a bit of a stop and go track , and the other (MMSC Track) very flowing corners, doesnt eat up too much, but, as you lap time goes down, the effectiveness of the pads matter a lot, towards the end of the season, I was going through 1 set a race weekend (practice, qualifing and 2 races) Could sneak in a few more laps but I am more comfortable to change them for the next weekend.

I use Brembo & Moriwoki pads on my bike, the brembo is the best I ahve ever used, the feel, bite and feed back is just awsome.

Question - do you guys bed in your pads with any particular procedure.