PDA

View Full Version : HPR UPDATE!!

The GECCO
August 7th, 2008, 08:00 PM
A ground breaking ceremony has been scheduled for this coming Friday, August 15th, at 1:00pm out at the HPR site.

Everyone is invited to attend and I hope many will make it, but FYI this will be rather short and sweet, mostly geared towards the media as a way to get the word out. We plan to have some other events in the near future that will be more for the members.

Well, guys and gals, this is the one we have all been waiting for...

August 7, 2008 – HPR What's Happening!

It's been a very, very busy and productive period. There is much to report, but the good news is that construction of High Plains Raceway is now underway!

We'll summarize the events of the past six weeks:

*To investigate cost reduction possibilities, CAMA issued Requests For Proposals to selected contractors for firm bids. The RFP's included a laundry list of alternates, including options to reduce the track width, track length, grading aspects, etc. This was necessary to offset the dramatic price increases for asphalt oil and diesel fuel over the past months.

*The proposal process generated two distinct options: a $3.2 million project for a 2.0 mile track or a $3.6 million project for the full length, 2.55 mile design. After a great deal of consideration, the CAMA reps voted unanimously to go for the full length option. The consensus is that building the "best” circuit will catalyze future improvements and amenities, and that having configuration options will cater to a wide spectrum of uses and revenue opportunities.

*To fund the $3.6 million project required increasing the debt ceiling from $1.6 million to $2.0 million. This change to the release conditions was approved, and the additional funds have been committed. Available funding now exceeds the expected cost to complete the project (based on firm bids), thus satisfying the construction release conditions.

*Construction contracts have been signed. The project has begun!!

All the exciting features of the road course remain intact. In the configuration under contract, we will have a full 2.55 mile, 36 ft. wide road course, a paddock with 40 ft. wide paved asphalt lanes and crushed recycled asphalt in the interior islands where the tow vehicles park. As we have known all along, it has the potential to be one of the most interesting and challenging circuits in the country! At the present level of funding, there is very little in the way of "creature comfort” amenities, but CAMA is keenly aware that everyone wants amenities, not just a bare track and paddock. The question is how to get there? It is clear that the Capital Campaign will have to continue. A continued Capital Campaign has the potential to attract additional funds to provide very adequate amenities. Future donations (personal and corporate) plus some possibly "self-funding” amenities (e.g., garages, RV hookups, and a fuel station) are, we believe, quite achievable over the next year.

On this note, there are still a lot of potential users of HPR who have yet to contribute. Perhaps some have taken a "show me first” attitude, wanting to be sure there will be a facility before donating. CAMA is planning a ground breaking ceremony in the next week or so, and we hope those potential donors will finally be convinced to join their peers who have already contributed.

Yes, HPR will be a reality!! Yes, we need more dollars to make High Plains Raceway the great facility we all want.

Your CAMA Board,

Glenn Conser
Bob Darcey
Walt Fricke
Bill Kephart
Kyle Popejoy

Dirt moving equipment will be on site early next week. I have been put in charge of organizing ground breaking ceremonies, more on that soon.

Obviously this is a huge milestone in the history of this process, and the history of our clubs, and I'm glad that all of you will be part of it.

toptier
August 7th, 2008, 08:33 PM
awesome. Great news

trophywife626
August 7th, 2008, 10:19 PM
\:D/ YAY!! =D>

Dodd
August 7th, 2008, 10:34 PM
AWESOME! As excited as I am about PPIR, I'm jumping out of my leathers for HPR. Thanks Glenn and all involved, you guys just made my week! THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Dodd

glenngsxr
August 8th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Good stuff. I almost prefer to wait it out. We will have better asphalt this way! Good job. Glenn #62

turbohoje
August 8th, 2008, 06:54 AM
That is fantastic! I feel very fortunate to be part of this club who has such a dedicated president.

NICE WORK

bluedevil
August 8th, 2008, 07:27 AM
wait, hold on, no, wait.. yup its official I pooped :shock:

cant freekin wait !!

jenners225
August 8th, 2008, 08:13 AM
This is truly excellent news! Can not wait! Glenn you honestly ROCK!

grant_me_rev's
August 8th, 2008, 08:18 AM
WoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoW!!!!! Excellent news - Great job!

froth
August 8th, 2008, 10:06 AM
In the voice of Dr. Evil;;;
You freakin mean we'll have freakin four freaking tracks within a day's freakin drive!

I nead a freakin tissue!

WOW! Pueblo and PPIR, a stone's throw from each other, HPR, and MPH.

What a gnarly bunch of leadership we've got! Many thankyous all round.

HAMMER
August 8th, 2008, 12:59 PM
top notch!!!!!!! :P

i have a boner :shock:

Ashli
August 8th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Yippeee!! Nice Job Glenny Poo! [-o<

The GECCO
August 8th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Yippeee!! Nice Job Glenny Poo! [-o<

For what? Givin Hammer a chubbie?? I dunno if I should be proud of that... :shock:

*GSXR~SNAIL*
August 11th, 2008, 07:20 PM
http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=97454&catid=345&GID=0

The GECCO
August 12th, 2008, 03:20 PM
A ground breaking ceremony has been scheduled for this coming Friday, August 15th, at 1:00pm out at the HPR site.

Everyone is invited to attend and I hope many will make it, but FYI this will be rather short and sweet, mostly geared towards the media as a way to get the word out. We plan to have some other events in the near future that will be more for the members.

pilot
August 18th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Say, I understand that money is not growing on trees, but are there plans for pedestrian pathways to access turns on the new track? Even gravel paths that bicycles and baby strollers would be helpful (with hopes to someday overlay with asphalt). This would make the track more spectator friendly.

Thanks for the review/comment on this question.

The GECCO
August 18th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Spectating will largely be confined to the pit area and the areas immediately surrounding the pits so I don't see any plans for pedestrian paths out to other areas of the track.

rforsythe
August 18th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Cornerworking: The ultimate spectator experience!

dirkterrell
August 19th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Spectating will largely be confined to the pit area and the areas immediately surrounding the pits so I don't see any plans for pedestrian paths out to other areas of the track.

Let me stand in support of Pilot's idea. Due to my broken collarbone, I was only able to spectate at the first MPH races and while the track may be awesome to ride, it really sucked for spectating. Now, before everybody jumps on me :D let me say that I am merely pointing out the way things look from the spectators' point of view and I am not at all alone in this opinion. I want to see our sport grow in terms of racers and spectators. I think it would be a mistake to be so focused on the track from the rider perspective that we fail to make the track enjoyable for spectators.

Dirk