PDA

View Full Version : Pueblo - XT Lap Timer users!!!!

GNGSXR
August 6th, 2008, 09:34 PM
ill have my beacon setup on the left side this weekend at start/finish.
the XT timers dont seem to always pick up a signal if the beacon is on the right side.
so put your receivers on the left side of your bike. 8)

Clarkie
August 7th, 2008, 07:04 AM
i dont think the lap timer cares which side the beacon is on :lol:

rforsythe
August 7th, 2008, 09:14 AM
+1

That said, sunlight can interfere in some cases, and since the Pueblo straight runs north/south, the potential is there particularly in early morning or late afternoon. Having a beacon on each side won't hurt (if you remember to move the receiver).

But yeah, the receiver really doesn't care. ;)

The GECCO
August 7th, 2008, 10:25 AM
The receiver doesn't care....unless the distances are different.

Since we are all the way to the left side of the track as we cross start/finish, perhaps the XT transmitter isn't strong enough to reach all the way over there. Putting it on the left side means the beam has to cover a lot less distance to reach the receiver.

ZiaThunder
August 7th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Since we are all the way to the left side of the track as we cross start/finish, perhaps the XT transmitter isn't strong enough to reach all the way over there. Putting it on the left side means the beam has to cover a lot less distance to reach the receiver.

I always have to change the position of the receiver on my bike to point at the transmitter as I'm going by it. If it isn't, then most of the time it just doesn't work, or it is really far off from the official times.

GNGSXR
August 7th, 2008, 02:48 PM

I always have to change the position of the receiver on my bike to point at the transmitter as I'm going by it. If it isn't, then most of the time it just doesn't work, or it is really far off from the official times.

+1.
my XT receiver needs to be aimed towards whichever side the beacon is at or else it wont pick up the signal.
the range of the transmitter is only about 20 feet so the right wall isnt the best palce for one.

dragos13
August 7th, 2008, 02:54 PM
+1.
my XT receiver needs to be aimed towards whichever side the beacon is at or else it wont pick up the signal.

Thats pretty much standard isn't it? I mean, if you are pointing your XT to the left, yet the signal is coming from the right, what would you expect?

I think if you cannot get a signal from a transponder on the right hand side, yet everyone else at the track is picking up, it might be your XT. I usually have to replace the battery in mine every couple months. Check into it.

rforsythe
August 7th, 2008, 10:35 PM
+1.

It's just an infrared signal, much like your TV remote. You can't aim your remote at the wall behind you and expect it to change the channels in front of you; same thing with your lap timer. It needs to have an actual line of sight from the little lens on the receiver module to the beacon transmitter.

Lap timers are basic technology, all things considered. They don't work off of magic. ;) (Unless you have one of the fancy new GPS ones, in which case it's still not magic, but considerably higher tech.)