PDA

View Full Version : neck brace???

d_mob
July 25th, 2008, 10:41 AM
after noticing a rider at hastings wearing a foam neck brace, i got curious and did a little research...

aside from the $600 BMW motorrad and leatt neck braces, it doesn't seem like there are any options, with the exception of some over the counter foam wraps.

question is, who was wearing it the other day? why do you wear it (probably a dumb question as i'm assuming an injury)? is anyone else considering this?

thoughts???

Tumbleweed
July 25th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I'm sure I am the guy you saw with the neck brace. I started wearing mine after a very near highside. The whiplash of the episode caused my helmet to contact my collar bone. Although the bone didn't break, it hurt like hell for a couple of weeks. I also had a good crash a couple of years ago into a tire wall and thought I broke my neck with how bad it hurt. So starting last season I started wearing one. It takes a little getting used to but eventually you won't even notice it. It doesn't effect you in turns, just going down the straightaways you can't get your head as far back as normal.

I wear the EVS RC2 model neck brace. And it costs drum roll........$40
Go to www.evs-sports.com and go to the product thumbnail and go to the collar/shoulder section and you will find it. EVS has great products and at a very reasonable price.

On a side note always make sure you get the velcro strap all the way on or you may have it come off you down the straight and hit the rider behind you. Sorry Shannon :oops: :lol:

Tumbleweed
July 25th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Oh, and I really got to test it last race when I went down in turn 3 and tumbled for a long time and trashed my helmet. When I was done rolling I got right up and my neck has felt fine ever since so it must have done a good job.

froth
July 25th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Chris: Now we need to find one for elbows! :lol: Thanks for the information. Teri and I will be looking into them immediately.

Ciao

Tumbleweed
July 25th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I actually where double elbow pads and still messed it up. I could only imagine what my elbow would look like if I just used the elbow pads in my leathers only.

Tumbleweed
July 25th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Fred, it would definitely work good for you and Teri. You can't beat having extra protection for that price. The entire website is very good and they have very good pricing. Hope all this helps

Jakeracer
July 25th, 2008, 01:13 PM
EVS makes some very good safety products.

**not to hijack the thread**.....

Keep in mind Professional Privateer has opened up it's shopping and savings plan to the public. Check out the EVS section of our website here: http://s15677.50belowcommerce.com/productdetail.htm?productId=3354634&catalogId=&searchProducts=evs

Enjoy discounts and FREE SHIPPING!

Jake
MRA#50
www.professionalprivateer.com

Tumbleweed
July 25th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Very nice 8)

OConnell
July 25th, 2008, 02:11 PM
A bunch of companies make similar products at about the same price. They are sold as MotoX gear. A* has one for sure.

motobum
July 25th, 2008, 04:54 PM
alpinestar will be coming out with a leatte type brace designed for roadracing

i have seen pictures at a product showcase.

Racing616
July 26th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I wear the Leatt in motox and have taken some big falls (damn it) and the brace has performed incredibly well. No sore neck even after a head over heels tumble down a hill at Thunder Valley. I don't think it would work very well for road racing tho....the foam type is prob your best shot. The Astars road race on is intriguing...

Tumbleweed
July 26th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I agree Brad. I think the foam type is probably best for road racing. We have to move our heads around quite a bit more road racing then motocross. The foam type is about the most I can put up with road racing. Straightaways would be almost impossible with anything else.

willionaire
July 27th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I have been trying to find a brace for supermoto that isn't the donut style you guys are talking about.

I have called Leatte, Alpinestars, and EVS and all have told me their neck braces will not fit with leathers. If anyone has info to the contrary i'm interested.

bluedevil
July 28th, 2008, 06:31 AM
I happened to be poking around Perfomance Cycles last week and saw lots of models and price ranges to choose from.... Might be a good place to also see some other options avail and try some on for fit .....

d_mob
July 28th, 2008, 09:03 AM
thanks for the great info... i'll prob be picking up the EVS version soon.

see everyone @ pueblo in a couple of weeks!

-- david # 178