PDA

View Full Version : Start of a Transponder Streak

Scored51
July 15th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Hey All,

Thanks to everyone who rented transponders this weekend for returning them before leaving the track. I'll post up the new class records as soon as I've updated the files.

Thanks again,

phildrummond
July 15th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I need to buy one, as the $50 gets steep after a few races. I'm looking for used ones but I read last year the MRA bought and sold them for $180 somewhere. Will there be a deal on them this year? I'd hate to spend $250 for a used one that has been thru who knows what, only to read a post that they are for sale brand new and for less $ thru the club.

Help...I'm going broke racing these damn bikes.

Jon
July 15th, 2008, 09:11 PM
You may want to look at the one for sale in the classifieds as though not new, it's one bought from the MRA with warranty.

Scored51
July 15th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Last year the club sold off 170 units of its rental fleet it already owned. There were no purchases made for resale. These units were offered to the active membership at a price of $240. There was also a limited time offer which applied a season rental fee already paid by licensed members of $60. This was the $180 price you must have read about somewhere. There aren't any plans at the moment to sell off any more as the club needs to maintain a small rental fleet for obvious reasons.

It's highly unlikely that you'll find a used unit without physical damage that doesn't work. In fact, I saw one this past weekend that was so badly beaten that the LED was crushed yet the transponder still registered properly with the timing system. Another thought is if a seller is willing to give you the ID number from the unit they are selling, AMB-it may be able (willing) to give you the original date of purchase which will tell you how much of any pro-rated warranty is still available.

They do go fast because every racer needs one and many clubs use the same timing system. I would continually check the WERA boards, but here is the link to the sale Jon was talking about. http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=6887