PDA

View Full Version : New Helmet Stickers **all funds go to the new track**

jplracing
July 8th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Do to the new rule about Helmet stickers http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=6831

Frank Diranna has offered to make the stickers for $5.

The stickers will either be a chrome background with black numbers or a black background with chrome numbers....your choice. You will receive 2 number (one for each side of your helmet)

Frank will donate the time and materials to print them up and will donate 100% of all proceeds to the new track fund.

Since we are only a few days away from leaving for Hastings Frank will need you to email him at diranna@comcast.net prior to Thursday 5pm. Obviously he needs to know your number as well

I will be delivering them at Hastings and will be there sometime on Friday afternoon early evening

Any questions please get ahold of me at joe@rebellionmotorsports.com or Frank at the above email

Thanks

Joe

T Baggins
July 8th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Count me in! Nice gesture Frank!

The GECCO
July 8th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks, Joe and Frank, great idea!

rybo
July 8th, 2008, 03:04 PM
order placed.

Thanks for doing this guys!

Wahooman
July 8th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks! Order Sent!

JoeCat
July 8th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Thanks Frank! Great idea!
Ordered!
joecat

polar x
July 8th, 2008, 07:09 PM
8) 8) Your gonna ruin your rep dude.... :wink: :wink:

Ray-Ray
July 8th, 2008, 07:37 PM
You guys ROCK! Please count me in!!

Earlene
July 9th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Obviously I don't need a sticker but I will donate $20.00 for the new track. Doesn't sound like much but if a lot of riders match my donation, who knows it can only help the new track. $20.00 X's how many ???? For fun let's keep count on those matching my donation.

ldenvermom
July 9th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I PM'd an order for two sets :)
Just pop to the race day office and I'll pay you ... or let me know where you will be pitted and I'll send Racer over to get them !
Drive safe!
Lynette Fuller

bluedevil
July 9th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Frank rocks !!! email sent..

TBSgraphics
July 9th, 2008, 08:21 AM
All that have order so far are completd,
I will not be going to Hastings, so Joe L. is taking them out there for me

Look for him to pick them up..

I know there's more people that need them, I can still work on them tonight and tomorrow (to get them for hastings but will continue making them all season long)

ZiaThunder
July 9th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I'm just curious... does anyone else use the same helmet on the track and for riding on the street? I do have two and I generally use one for track and one for the street, but not always.

Personally, I don't want to draw that kind of attention when I'm riding my street bike.

I can see where this might cause issues with our friendly law enforcement officers. If they see race numbers on my helmet it will give them more cause to be.... shall we say, more aggressive in their enforcement of traffic laws. Which most motorcyclist experience too much of, as it is.

Then there is also the issue of someone going down, damaging that helmet and having to use another. If I had to use my street helmet to finish out the day. You are telling me that I have to keep extra numbers around to put on that helmet for that day?

It really doesn't seem to address the issue. The numbers can be rashed off the helmet. If the numbers are only on one side then they would have to move the helmet/head to read them. Not something you want to do before you are ready to stabilize them, unless you need to preform CPR, then stabilization goes out the window.

Why not have the riders wear the needed information on a card around the riders neck tucked inside the leathers.

It would be some what harder to enforce, for every rider, but for ones that go off the track the corner workers can check for that while assisting them. If your corner workers are adequately trained.

rforsythe
July 9th, 2008, 11:34 AM
It really doesn't seem to address the issue. The numbers can be rashed off the helmet. If the numbers are only on one side then they would have to move the helmet/head to read them. Not something you want to do before you are ready to stabilize them, unless you need to preform CPR, then stabilization goes out the window.

EMS crews are not going to dig out a rider's information before they start helping them. Stabilization happens very quickly with these guys.

dragos13
July 9th, 2008, 11:36 AM
This decision really has nothing to do with street riding. That being said, having the numbers near the chin section of the helmet means they will be visiable after being stabilized. If it helps the medics help us, then I'm all for it.

hcr25
July 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I personally dont want anything around my neck while racing.
I would think an exception could be made by using duct tape and a black sharpie. This is up to VP of rules and tech though.
mike

T Baggins
July 9th, 2008, 12:39 PM
zia,

If you rash a helmet - you shouldn't continue wearing it regardless of whether or not it tears the sticker up.

** Nevermind - just went back and re-read your post. Took it out of context, my bad.

At any rate, the likelihood of the sticker getting rashed off to the point that it is illegible to the EMS's is infinitely less than them being unable to read a sticker that wasn't there in the first place.

Ray-Ray
July 9th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I personally dont want anything around my neck while racing.
I would think an exception could be made by using duct tape and a black sharpie. This is up to VP of rules and tech though.
mike

Yes, WHITE duct tape and a black sharpie would be ok.

rforsythe
July 9th, 2008, 12:56 PM
It's worth noting that black marker rubs off duct tape with VERY little effort whatsoever. You can do it with your finger, and anything abrasive is even faster, regardless of whether the tape stays attached. Masking tape keeps the marking permanently, but the tape itself is weak and will come off at some point.

Honestly, what we're talking about here is $5 in decals to ensure your healthcare is not compromised from something as simple as the medics not being able to find your info. Just buy an extra set, surely your life is worth that much.

ZiaThunder
July 9th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Honestly, what we're talking about here is $5 in decals to ensure your healthcare is not compromised from something as simple as the medics not being able to find your info. Just buy an extra set, surely your life is worth that much.

Wow, it really got some of ya going.. ;-)

Sorry, but I think ya-all are missing my point. This rule makes it so you have to have TWO helmets.

Given that I only have Suomy & Shoei helmets, it gets rather expensive. So it isn't the cost of the stickers. I do value my head and health a great deal.

It is the cost of the extra unwanted attention that you get by having racing numbers on your helmet while riding on the street.

Rather then making me ruin an expensive helmet why not just have the correct numbers on the bikes???? Those numbers are cheap and easy to change.

I've worked as an EMT, believe me, they are not going to be looking anything up.... they are going to be concentrating on their patient.

Someone in the club should be looking that up and providing that info to them. When they ask for it, they don't have time to search through the paperwork. There really isn't there enough information on that form, it also isn't the most current information, unless you provide some means to update it.

dragos13
July 9th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Again, the rules of this club are based on racing, not street riding. No where does this require you owning two helmets. It also doesn't require you running numbers when riding the street.

I wanna thank Joe and Frank. Not only for getting this done for us, but also contributing all funds to the track. +1 thanks guys!

hcr25
July 9th, 2008, 02:55 PM
how are you going to ruin a helmet by putting a sticker on it?
Mike applehans #25

T Baggins
July 9th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I'm missing the two helmet argument as well? Why do you "have" to have two now? (for what it's worth, I ALWAYS have two at the track in case I damage one - and I encourage the rest of you to do the same.)

How would a simple number on your chinpiece alert the po-po that you're any more squidly than the rider who doesn't. Hell, for all they'd know you're paying tribute to your favorite AMA or Moto GP racer. If this logic is correct, then I'd have to assume they pull over every redneck who has Dale Earnhart or Jeff Gordon's number on the back of their pick-um-up truck because they assume they're gonna do 200mph simply because they have a race number on their vehicle?

The EMS's have copies of everyone's medical forms IN THEIR TRUCKS at all times (except for the WOW ladies, I forgot to make you all do one... :oops: ) - and I assure you they use them when necessary. Oftentimes they use the back to take notes and whatnot.

If a bike really comes apart, or ends up far away from the rider - they're not gonna go looking for the bodywork and try to piece together the number - even if it IS the correct number on the bike.

In the event of a multi-bike incident - how do we know who belongs to which bike? Especially if they're non-responsive?

If it's really a concern, it would be cheaper, frankly, to just buy several sets of numbers and take them off when you're riding on the street. At only $5 per set (assuming you buy them from Frank - which you certainly aren't required to), you'd have to go thru 4-5 race seasons before the cost equalled what a new helmet would. And by our rulebook, you'd have to replace the helmet at that time anyway.

Sorry. Rules are rules.

TBSgraphics
July 9th, 2008, 04:45 PM
(1) Sorry, but I think ya-all are missing my point. This rule makes it so you have to have TWO helmets.

(2) It is the cost of the extra unwanted attention that you get by having racing numbers on your helmet while riding on the street.

1: The clubs requirs helmets, colorado doesn't, just stop weraing one on the street :wink:

2: The bling-bling chrome, stoppies, longswingarms, neon and a host of other BS on bikes gets more attention then a 1inch square number sticker, If you think a cop is really looking at your number your super-paranoid and should seek concealling

And what about all the "46" helmets and leathers around, think the cops leave Rossi allone cause the know he's ok it be doing 150mph or do they bust all 250,00 rossi squids everyday...

on your street helmet it would be good also to put a sticker on it, but put your blood type not a number, also if your a donor..

Hotrod
July 9th, 2008, 04:55 PM
If you think a cop is really looking at your number your super-paranoid and should seek concealling

Yup. You guys totally should hide!

:lol:

ZiaThunder
July 9th, 2008, 06:27 PM
1: The clubs requirs helmets, colorado doesn't, just stop weraing one on the street :wink:

2: The bling-bling chrome, stoppies, longswingarms, neon and a host of other BS on bikes gets more attention then a 1inch square number sticker, If you think a cop is really looking at your number your super-paranoid and should seek concealling

And what about all the "46" helmets and leathers around, think the cops leave Rossi allone cause the know he's ok it be doing 150mph or do they bust all 250,00 rossi squids everyday...

on your street helmet it would be good also to put a sticker on it, but put your blood type not a number, also if your a donor..

1. Not wearing a helmet isn't an option, for many reasons.

2. From experience, I know that some cops are azzh*les. And have know people for being pulled over on bikes for wearing that helmet with the 46 on it. We all know that the cops target bikes far more often then cars or truck drivers. I've been pulled because I was riding a motorcycle on a road that a number of bikes have been speeding on and they just want to know who they should go after if someone who matches my description runs from them in the future or because it looked I "left that stop sign too quickly, even though you didn't exceed the speed limit". So no, I'm not paranoid, I don't need counseling or even concealing for that matter....

3. It does absolutely no good to put your blood type on paper or your helmet. No blood bank / hospital will take your word for your blood type. It has to be re typed every single time, there is a possibility of your needing any blood product. Yes, I do know what I talking about I do this for a living....

4. I never said that I didn't appreciate the stickers being offered for only $5, or that I wouldn't do it. I just offered up an opposing position, and that I don't feel it was the best way to go about it. Apparently, having an opposite opinion is not a good thing with this club.

rforsythe
July 9th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Having an opposite opinion is absolutely a good thing in this club, or any other for that matter. If nobody ever did that, nothing new would get done. :wink:

That said, having been on the track/crash response side of things for several years now, I think this is a great rule to make. Yes it requires something sticky on your lid, but hey -- nobody is making you put it on your street helmet, that choice is yours. Bottom line is, it makes something that is instantly recognizable, standard, enforceable, and usable to identify a traumatically injured rider in about half a second. I honestly wish someone (even I) had come up with this idea years ago, because it would have saved a lot of time trying to figure out who less-known but unconscious riders were; sometimes even just having their name helps when trying to get them back to reality.

No system is perfect, but I think given the ease of use and ability for the MRA to ensure every rider is doing it, this is a terrific system that might actually help in a very real way. Props to whoever came up with it, and to the MRA for putting it to action.

hcr25
July 10th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Hey Edda, doesn't the SMRI inspect your helmets at tech and put a big orange sticker on your helmet after they look at it?
I think mine says SMRI tech or something like that on it.
I had them put that tech sticker right next to my number on my helmet :)

http://www.eventpictures.com/app/event/zoomPictures?eventInstanceId=12250&picture=2321227

Jakeracer
July 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Dude-

If your so worried about it, then buy 2 sets and dont apply them to your street helmet...unless you "need" to...

problem solved...

DingleBerns
July 10th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Frank, can you do names and numbers in one box where the name is under the number? I was thinking for like +/- $3 more one could get that done....

ZiaThunder
July 10th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Hey Edda, doesn't the SMRI inspect your helmets at tech and put a big orange sticker on your helmet after they look at it?
I think mine says SMRI tech or something like that on it.
I had them put that tech sticker right next to my number on my helmet :)

Not Edda, but yes. They do place SMRI tech stickers on your helmets.

hcr25
July 10th, 2008, 05:44 PM
ooops, sorry :oops:
i finally took of the helmet tech sticker from the last race of 2007 :)

vonconcepts.com
July 11th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Ordered Stickers.... cool idea.

Kurt

cromer611
July 11th, 2008, 09:38 PM
If this logic is correct, then I'd have to assume they pull over every redneck who has Dale Earnhart or Jeff Gordon's number on the back of their pick-um-up truck because they assume they're gonna do 200mph simply because they have a race number on their vehicle?

LOL

JohnGarc
July 12th, 2008, 05:44 PM
This is probably a stupid question but since I have a Rossi Helmet, does that mean I need to cover up the "46"?? I don't have a problem with that I just don't want to be mixed up with a 46 and my MRA 654#. My 46 is on the chin so I guess white tape it with 654?

If you are too cheap to buy stickers for your second lid, than you shouldn't be owning a Suomy and a Shoei???

Cheers,
John / 654
2DogsMotoSports.com / Custom Alluminum Polish and 125cc Crotch Rockets.
MotoForza-USA.com / Race Bodywork from Chezch Republic.

richlundeen
July 12th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Do you take CCs, and ship to APOs?

terid
July 14th, 2008, 07:39 AM
holy crap,
After this week at Hastings - I see where this helped!!!! Three 811 bikes on the track in one race (yes Kip, your worst nightmare). Musical bikes made my head spin ... I didn't know who to root for!

However, the numbers were too small for Autumn to see from the booth, so she was announcing me (of course, the musical transponders didn't help), LOL. Really, it wasn't me....I'm the SLOW one (yes Ray-Ray, the bike is slow :? I thought you were going to jump off and run along side it on the straight-away. You could have tried whipping it like a pony...that seemed to hep Fred on the KTM.... or if you'd been quicker, YOU could have had the TL...and Chris could've run alongside the SV)

If we keep playing musical bikes/transponders, I think we need to go to numbers that are about 6" high, LOL, and maybe have transponders surgically attached...

Of course, we wouldn't have this problem if y'all would just QUIT BLOWING UP ENGINES..... :shock:...

TBSgraphics
July 14th, 2008, 09:33 AM
holy crap,
After this week at Hastings - I see where this helped!!!! Three 811 bikes on the track in one race (yes Kip, your worst nightmare). Musical bikes made my head spin ... I didn't know who to root for!

However, the numbers were too small for Autumn to see from the booth, so she was announcing.

NOT why it's being done, the number are the corner/emt worker to identify at the crash site who the rider is and from 4 feet away they are pleanty big enough,

Question why were there different bike numbers, cant you find some duct tape and electrical tape to make a number plate??
I dont think the club should/or does ever let the same number bike on the track you all should be DQ'ed for displaying incorrect number per rule 5.3 E. Rider must display his/her MRA assigned racing number during all MRA races
and MRA sanctioned or sponsored practices. Exceptions to this rule must be
approved prior to Pre-Grid. ONLY the Pre-Grid Marshal awards this approval.
If you are not awarded approval, and you race, YOU WILL BE
DISQUALIFIED! And points will be forfeited for that given race on that race
day. If you are not awarded approval, and you practice, you will be fined $25.
....(except for the real 811)

terid
July 14th, 2008, 09:38 AM
not to worry, it WAS approved by pregrid.
and they had their numbers taped on the helmets. had time allowed between races, numbers on the bikes could have been taped too.

DingleBerns
July 14th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Frank, can you do names and numbers in one box where the name is under the number? I was thinking for like +/- $3 more one could get that done....

:?:

phildrummond
July 14th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I picked up my #s this weekend and they look great. Good rule, awesome idea and thanks Frank and Joe for putting this together.

As for the debate, I was in corners in hastings and we had a few incidents where the bikes tumbled well off into the weeds away from the riders and in one case, the bike wasn't wearing any plastics after the crash. Helmet #s are such a good idea.

If a cop can read my 1 inch # as I pass, I was going too slow for him to catch me doing anything fun anyway.

Thanks again, Frank and Joe.

Ashli
July 14th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Frank if you are still printing these for Pueblo can you please do #33 for Dave, I loved how they looked and didn't see this until after the fact. I will bring others in case but I'd love to have yours. :)

BTW what the freak is the big deal of putting a 1 inch sticker on your chin guard? As much $$$$ as we spend on racing every season this is the least of our worries. Oh and if you are worried about the cops, quit doing illegal stuff on your street bike. I had my fave # on my helmet for the hell of it and never had any problems. The argument with this topic is completely ridiculous. The rule makes sense and makes me feel alot better about the health of our riders. :thumbsup:

froth
July 14th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Actually, honey, I set up the idea of three 811 bikes to set an MRA record. Have there ever been three bikes on the grid posting the same number???

I like the idea of having my racing number on my helmet; makes the street guys/gaqls think I have a clue as to what I'm doing.

Frank- Could I get two sets of 801 and two of 811? THX

Fred