PDA

View Full Version : would this bike be legal in the colorado class?

motobum
July 3rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=S3FDUBv34Kk

looks like fun!

phildrummond
July 3rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
If these things weren't $25-30,000, they'd catch on pretty quick. No matter what, after watching him, I'm not calling it a swingarm anymore. I'm switching to "swingin' aaahm"

dave.gallant
July 3rd, 2008, 09:19 PM
Yes, it is legal.

You must have been living under a rock because Roland has been pushing this as a spec class for the AMA for a while now, and WERA has a national class now.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
July 4th, 2008, 12:33 AM
... waiting for Jeff Winter to respond ... http://users.frii.com/jjb/emote/popcorn.gif

motobum
July 4th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Yes, it is legal.

You must have been living under a rock because Roland has been pushing this as a spec class for the AMA for a while now, and WERA has a national class now.

i heard that the wera deal is not going very well... do you think its because the bikes suck?

Clarkie
July 4th, 2008, 08:32 AM
No way Benny, there has been 5 rounds so far and they have had 5 entries (not riders) and 1 DQ for the year, I think it's a HUGE success! :lol: :lol: :lol:

dave.gallant
July 4th, 2008, 08:37 AM
How in the hell did you get DQd Clarkie?

:D

Clarkie
July 4th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Maybe Benny Solis didnt spend enough money on his 450Moto bike so the DQ'd him :roll: , the class was never going to succeed this year, why would people spend 10K+ on a 450 when they can spend $4000 on and SV and earn contingency :wink:

dave.gallant
July 4th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Maybe Benny Solis didnt spend enough money on his 450Moto bike so the DQ'd him :roll: , the class was never going to succeed this year, why would people spend 10K+ on a 450 when they can spend $4000 on and SV and earn contingency :wink:

It is obvious you have never ridden an SV, have you? :shock:

:)

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
July 4th, 2008, 09:15 AM
why would people spend 10K+ on a 450 when they can spend $4000 on and SV and earn contingency :wink:
Yeah - I was so sad when I heard Sands was asking (now) $11K plus for the super single bikes. :cry: If they'd be somewhere in the $3-4K range I think we'd see them everywhere.

Clarkie
July 4th, 2008, 09:24 AM

It is obvious you have never ridden an SV, have you? :shock:

:)

lol you havent ridden a 450 have you, let just say from what I heard first hand the mighty SV handles better :wink:

motobum
July 4th, 2008, 01:19 PM
If they'd be somewhere in the $3-4K range I think we'd see them everywhere.

ya no kidding

motobum
September 24th, 2008, 10:48 AM
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/btozzi/IMG_0048-1.jpg

holy crap i want one! i should build one out of a cr500 or something!

http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=66792

dave.gallant
September 24th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Wonder if the damn thing chatters as much as my 450??

motobum
September 24th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Wonder if the damn thing chatters as much as my 450??

check it out he has stock forks lowered like a ft. !

im building one and then you and me are going to battle! :lol: :wink:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/btozzi/IMG_0054.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/btozzi/IMG_0058.jpg

if you had a spare shock and fork set you could ride MX, supermoto, and roadrace...

Scored51
September 24th, 2008, 01:38 PM
What I don't really understand is why people think these things have to be sooo expensive.

1 - Buy a dirtbike off Craigslist ($2,500)
2 - Put wheels on it like all motards ($600?)
3 - Complete the deal with fairings (less than $1,000)

IF you needed to go nuts, pickup an old 600 front end off eBay for less than $500. Just as an example, Chuck Shetsline's CR500 had a Honda Shadow front end. In and case, the necessary modifications to dial in the suspension are what all road race bikes have to go through anyway.

Am I missing something here? Please let me in on where the $15K goes.

motobum
September 24th, 2008, 01:58 PM
What I don't really understand is why people think these things have to be sooo expensive.

1 - Buy a dirtbike off Craigslist ($2,500)
2 - Put wheels on it like all motards ($600?)
3 - Complete the deal with fairings (less than $1,000)

IF you needed to go nuts, pickup an old 600 front end off eBay for less than $500. Just as an example, Chuck Shetsline's CR500 had a Honda Shadow front end. In and case, the necessary modifications to dial in the suspension are what all road race bikes have to go through anyway.

Am I missing something here? Please let me in on where the $15K goes.

well i guess if you figure in marchesini wheels, a ti pipe, paint, brembo's, triple clamps, and a brand new bike..

dave.gallant
September 24th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Wheels on motards are not $600.

You need different brake pads, and a stainless line is a good idea.

You will need at least a rear sprocket, and most likely a front as well.

Trust me - the stock suspension will not work well. At least valves, oil, and springs.

The offset of a dirtbike is crazy - you will want triples with less offset if you want the thing to handle at all.

If you are doing the roadracer (and not motard), you will need clipons and rearsets.

Some clubs require steering dampers.

Throw on some bodywork, a fairing stay, and maybe some paint if you have some $$ left over.

Add up the above and tell me how much cheaper it is to build one of these versus a 600 Supersport machine.

(not much!)

gsnyder828
September 24th, 2008, 02:27 PM
http://www.rolandsands.com/FAQs.html

See #8.

A turnkey, brand new bike is $15k. Even Roland himself says you can put something together for $3k + the bike.

froth
September 24th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I can't speak for J-Winters, but...Okay, I'll speak for him :lol: . His bike runs great and now that it's dialed in, doesn't really cost a lot to run. I don't know how it turns vs the mighty SV, as he and I haven't swapped machinery yet, but we have a great time "battling" each other, and trying to keep Marty behind us for as long as possible (yes, big Marty, we know your back there, we just can't keep you there!).

I'd be in it in a minute if I could get the 4 k or so to put one together. Who knows, the Great Pumpkin might do a heart transplant? (it should be making a triumphant return to PPIR next weekend, DNA supposedly shipped my rims out Monday, WHOHOO!)

See y'all in COLORADO!

Scored51
September 24th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Wheels on motards are not $600...

Add up the above and tell me how much cheaper it is to build one of these versus a 600 Supersport machine.

(not much!)

Since I haven't ever bought the wheels I'm just going by what I've heard. I have paid to have wheels put onto non make/model bikes. Could it be accomplished to machine an SV wheel to fit into the swingarm and then use the entire front end from the SV? With the exception of the custom triples (admittedly to correct trail issues) there isn't anything listed above that isn't done to a 600 supersport bike before it hits the track. So track prep is equal to all.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm actually arguing for creating race bikes from the new generation thumpers. Just wondering about the price tag everyone seems to associate with these bikes. If everyone had a balance sheet of what it costs to create and run a 450 single vs. 600 inline 4 we would most certainly be holding heat races for Colorado Class regardless of the economy. Especially how cheaply you ran one this last round at Pueblo. :D

dave.gallant
September 24th, 2008, 04:05 PM
To be perfectly honest, I don't think the low price tag will sway people towards the class.

I can say "Hey, I spent under $40 total for the weekend not including entry" and people will still want to spend $4000 on "Supersport" motor mods. I wish it were not the case but many (myself included) can get wrapped up in having the most efficient (& expensive) racing machine rather than having the most fun possible while actually racing.

What is true however is that if you put 3 guys on CRF50s, we will race them as hard as we can. Racers race, and the longer we all do this sport the less important the specific motorcycle becomes and more important it is to have other great riders to compete against.

froth
September 24th, 2008, 08:01 PM
So, what you're saying, Dave, is. I'm slow because....I'm slow. Works for me :lol: btw, it was a blast watching you rail turn 1.

dave.gallant
September 24th, 2008, 09:40 PM
So, what you're saying, Dave, is. I'm slow because....I'm slow. Works for me :lol: btw, it was a blast watching you rail turn 1.

Remember that our Number 1 plate holder spent years racing 250s. Just because your bike makes less horsepower doesn't make you slow.

FWIW: Josh Graham spent his time on 250s as well.

Little bikes. Fast riders. See a trend???

froth
September 25th, 2008, 05:56 AM
You mean I'm a trend setter! Another reason I like the smaller machinery, besides affordability (the way I go about things, at least) is the way they DO teach things. Now, if I could just regain that old Hare and Hound ranking......

JWinter
September 25th, 2008, 08:45 PM
O.K. guys here's the lowdown! I bought a brand new RS 125 rolling chassis from Rising Sun for $5,000, new complete CRF 450X from Interstate Honda for $5,200 (racer discount), Jay Wright (Bare Bones Machine) fabricated the conversion for $3,500. I than sold the CRF rolling chassis for $1,500. So grand total I invested 12,200. In two full seasons of racing I have bought 4 sets of tires (GP slicks cost about $270.00), used pump gas, changed oil and raced. The engine has been very reliable. I haven't even touched the valves yet!!

A 200 pound bike with 45-55 HP isn't setting any track records; but I am getting better every time I race and having the time of my life racing it.

For me I am learning how to pick up speed in the corners and it is making me a better racer. I have to be a little bit more strategic when passing, because when I turn the throttle not much happens.

As far as the homemade Husky...my computer is to slow to run the video. I imagine its pretty fast though. The Roland Sands 450 deal can be done lots cheaper than 15k. Even what I did can be done for alot cheaper.

Besides I love racing against Fred, Marty, Kevin and Gallant. We have a blast and have some good close racing with lots of great passing.

Jeff

froth
September 26th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Sure, Jeff, you haven't touched the valves yet, but the (1) Piston and rings will cost you like, $125 for a top end rebuild :lol: ! See you at PIR.