PDA

View Full Version : Lap Timer Beacon / THANK YOU CLARKIE!

The GECCO
June 30th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Aaron Clark has generously donated an AIM lap timer beacon to the MRA! We didn't have it out this past weekend but I will get get a spare MC battery (that will easily run it for an entire weekend) to power it and we will have it set up at the remainder of the races this season. This eliminates the racers needing to remember to put theirs out and collect it, and will also eliminate the problems that can happen when there is more than one out there.

So the racers can plan, it will always be set up on the same side of the track as the starting light tower (right at PMP and left at MPH) and will be just last the start/finish line so that bikes on the grid won't get any false signals.

Thanks, Aaron!

Scored51
June 30th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks Aaron!

Glenn, you may want to check out Batteries Plus for a better battery. The draw on one of these beacons is something like 6 milli amps. A dry cell would much more easily handle the deep cycling and long periods of storage than a standard MC battery.

Just a thought... If some of the people who were using AIM lap timers wanted to organize themselves, they could arrange to set up there own beacons at agreed upon places around any track. The result would give everyone using AIM timers split times! The more beacons sitting track side would just mean more splits (yes, that splits not sh...). Another bonus is this information would be kept private until the bench racing started.

gpsigs
June 30th, 2008, 12:53 PM
thank you clarkie

Clarkie
June 30th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Thank Shannon!

He gave it to me to stop me pissing and moaning :lol: , I simply passed it on to the MRA :D

I know you can use a simple 12V drill battery to power them and the spade terminals push straight onto the battery.

The GECCO
June 30th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Thank Shannon!

He gave it to me to stop me pissing and moaning :lol: , I simply passed it on to the MRA :D

I know you can use a simple 12V drill battery to power them and the spade terminals push straight onto the battery.

Cool, I'll hit batteries plus and find the right part for the application

rybo
June 30th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Glenn,

If you don't find exactly what you're looking for, I have a brand new battery for a bike I no longer have. Meant to sell it with the bike, but forgot.

I'd be happy to donate it to the cause.

Scott

rybo
June 30th, 2008, 01:55 PM
double post....deleted

gpsigs
June 30th, 2008, 01:58 PM
oh splits would be awesome!

cu260r6
June 30th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Just a thought... If some of the people who were using AIM lap timers wanted to organize themselves, they could arrange to set up there own beacons at agreed upon places around any track. The result would give everyone using AIM timers split times! The more beacons sitting track side would just mean more splits (yes, that splits not sh...). Another bonus is this information would be kept private until the bench racing started.

AIM actually makes a spit time beacon that's red instead of white. I think it gives you an accurate split time that displays for a few seconds before going back to the continuing lap time counter.