PDA

View Full Version : Please! 5 year old English Pointer needs a good home

ctb
June 20th, 2008, 09:48 AM
It pains me to have to do this, but ...

Sparky, the ~5 year old Male (neutered) tan & white English Pointer, who I've been "fostering" for 2 and 1/2 years now, needs a new/permanent home.

I acquired Sparky through my former life as a Vet Tech, and took him to foster him when we found out he has a severe heart defect and would most likely not be successfully placed through the shelter he was at. He is a great dog, and earned his AKC Canine Good Citizen certificate. He is house trained, with the exception of VERY few accidents, when his humans don't get home fast enough (he can usually hold it up to 10 hours+) and he is good in a crate. His heart condition is called Subaortic Stenosis (severe grade) and requires a daily medication which costs about $250/year. He needs to see a cardiologist once a year, which can run anywhere from $75 to $300. He has food allergies, but does well on IAMS lamb & rice food, and is on no medication for this. He is VERY loving, and a big smoosh-ball. He is good with other dogs, has lived all this time with a cat, who he likes to sniff incessantly, but would never hurt. He is obedience trained but is not reliable off leash if there is a bunny or bird in the area. He is well-behaved at the track and does not spook around bikes/crowds.

He has obviously had some gun training in his previous life (we estimate that he was about 1 and 1/2 when I took him in) but he seems to rush birds a little too eagerly. His heart condition does not effect him in the least, and he is able to run along side me while bicycling for 10+ miles. His heart condition is expected to cause him sudden death, most likely while under physical exertion, but he has done really well on his medications thus far.

We recently had a baby, and we already had our hands full before I took him in...which was never supposed to be permanent, but the right home had not ever come along. There are many people in this club that can attest to this dog's AWESOME personality (James, Dion, Curtis) and I of course, would love to introduce you, if interested. Please contact me or forward this along to any potentially interested parties. Sparky will have to go to Pointer Rescue or another no-kill shelter soon, but I'd love for someone I know to take him. Please help!

Lauri Filar
(303)452-2381, (303)995-3058
laurifilar at yahoo dot com or PM me here
I would be happy to email pics, but I don't know how to post them here

ctb
June 21st, 2008, 10:37 AM
ADOPTION PENDING, but please do keep in mind in case it does not go through.

bluedevil
June 23rd, 2008, 08:26 AM
Oh man... Anyone is lucky to get Sparky... This is the sweetest, smartest, most lovable baby..... I hope you find a wonderful home that will love him as he deserves...... This pup has single handedly made me love this breed of dog....

T Baggins
June 23rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
My neighbor is a vet student, and has plenty of room to let the dog run. I'll ask him if the current deal falls thru.

ctb
June 24th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I will keep you posted...I have yet to talk to the prospective adopter again. As Dion said, this dog will seriously steal your heart. He is goofy, loving and kind-hearted.

Please see a picture here
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhoto&albumID=528323&imageID=55371&MyToken=b34b8dda-37d6-4bd8-b3c8-26c25431c6dc

bluedevil
June 24th, 2008, 08:41 AM
For the non-myspacers......

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w211/bluedevild/Sparky.jpg

ctb
June 24th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Thank you...technologically challenged over here. I spoke with the prospective owner and she is meeting him on Monday, so I'll keep everyone posted. Thank you!

ctb
July 2nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
ADOPTED!!! Great home in the foothills where he will get the attention he deserves! :D

Wahooman
July 3rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Nice Lauri!!!!