PDA

View Full Version : PMP Go bye bye ?

bluedevil
June 11th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Eeeeek... . :shock:
http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=93480&catid=295+

6/11/2008

PUEBLO - It appears that the city of Pueblo is exploring its options regarding 2,300 acres that is currently home to a motorsports complex.

Sources at the Pueblo Chieftain newspaper say that a security training outfit, possibly military-related, is planning to lease the land for training purposes.

The full-time lease would be much more lucrative for the city – and would effectively close the road course to car clubs. It appears the current lease by Pueblo Motorsports runs out at the end of the year.

In an article published last week in the Pueblo Chieftain, Tracy Renck reported that Jay Gilman, longtime vice president and general manager at PMP, resigned in late May.

According the Renck, Pueblo's city manager, Dave Galli says the city is ready to begin to address what it's going to do with the land and the surrounding area.

The Pueblo City Council approved the building of Pueblo Motorsports Park in 1974. It sits on 900 acres west of I-25 near U.S. 50.

Renck quotes Galli as saying: "We're now in a position to look for a more long-term relationship with some organization in regards to the property at Pueblo Motorsports Park and that doesn't exclude the current organization (Pueblo Motorsports Inc.) that is managing the track."

Pueblo Motorsports Inc., a nonprofit organization, has had a management agreement with the city to manage Pueblo Motorsports Park since PMP opened for racing back in September 1975.

Galli tells Renck that Pueblo Motorsports, Inc., has a managing agreement to run Pueblo Motorsports Park until Jan. 1, 2009. Galli said as long as Pueblo Motorsports Park, Inc. and the city honor the respective terms, the contract will be honored.

According to the Pueblo Chieftain article: "We haven't sent out any Request For Proposals to any prospective organizations that would like to manage Pueblo Motorsports Park, but we will probably start sending out those RFPs in the next 60 to 90 days," Galli said.

Pueblo Motorsports Park consists of a quarter-mile dragstrip, a 2.2-mile roadcourse, a one-fifth mile quartermidget track, a motorcross track and Pueblo Speedway.

(Copyright KUSA*TV. All rights reserved.)

hcr25
June 11th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I thought this (Copyright KUSA*TV. All rights reserved.) meant you could not copy and repost the article :)

glenngsxr
June 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I remember when the first part of the honor farm was taken away and everyone said, "PMP will never go away." Please, give me a break. It's as good as gone.

bluedevil
June 11th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I thought this (Copyright KUSA*TV. All rights reserved.) meant you could not copy and repost the article :)

hmmm Well I think that is claiming it as your own property or making moola on it... I left the CR on there as a bibliographical citation :wink:

I know Mark is on the board now... Mark: Is there anything John Q. Public can do, or is this a City only thing......?

St. Hubbins
June 11th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Lame. Par for the course in Pueblo really. Too bad Pueblo has a hard time hanging on to good things. Still have the State Fair though! :roll:

T Baggins
June 11th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I'm sure there's more to the story than what 9 news and the paper are reporting - so don't get all riled up just yet.

The Honor family donated the land to the City of Pueblo as part of a public trust in which it says, essentially, that the land MUST be used for public recreation.

The company referenced is a private company, that HAS been using the track for the last 2 or 3 years (along with the rest of us) - so it's not like they came out of nowhere and took over the track. It hasn't been sold or anything... so even if they take over the management of the facility there would be no compelling reason for them to close the track to the rest of us. IMHO anyway.

If the new management of the track ceases to allow "public recreation" it would be in direct violation of the land grant - and that would create a significant "issue" with the State of Colorado.

Now, public recreation could be horseshoe pits, a dog park, or an 'effing picnic area - so certainly we need remain vigilant.

Mark-e-mark is close to the situation, Glennie knows his statutes, and certainly the Colorado Motorsports Council folks are watching this intently.

Think happy thoughts, be a good citizen, and let's not give them any reason to WANT to close the facility to motorsports.

Oh, and one more REALLY GOOD GAWD DAMN REASON to donate to the new track - if you haven't done so already. :shock:

The GECCO
June 11th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Everyone relax.

I think the article is incorrect. As part of the terms of the original agreement reached when the Honor Farm property was swapped to the city from the state it was contingent on the property continuing to be open to the public for recreational use. If the city were to lease it to a private entity who closed it to the public then there are legal remedies available and/or the state could repossess the property. Either way, my information is that this is not the intent of the entity that is interested in taking over the lease.

I and others have been aware of this since long before Jay resigned and don't think we have reason to be concerned. The management will change, but I don't see the track closing any time soon. In fact, it's possible that this is a good thing as far as future improvements go.

Mark Schellinger
June 11th, 2008, 04:17 PM
About all I can tell you for sure is;

Our 2008 schedule is intact.

Tony is right in the respect that the park must maintain it's recreational use.

The new guys claim it will keep motorsports going.

The park IS NOT CLOSING.

God, I don't know where some of this sh!t comes from.

Let's give it a chance before we condemn the place, or the new management.

I will try and keep ya'll up on whats happening, but realize I don't have much to say yet.

later

neh
June 11th, 2008, 05:01 PM
All of this is ASSUMING the "new guys" will be considered in the bids.

What exactly did they do to the track that got jay pissed at them?

Earlene
June 11th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Thank you Glenn and Mark.

Let's start a new rumor and see if it's as exciting as the stuff that is being said.

THE PARK IS NOT CLOSING ! If it was Mark, Glenn or myself would tell you. Yep, there are a lot of folks wanting the management of the Park. Who wouldn't, it's a great place with great people, great customers, and great management. I am so proud to be on the Board. This board is bustin their rears to make improvements, keep positive communications open with the City and serve you with the best we can possibly offer.

Yes, the General Manager, Jay Gilman resigned. Change happens every day but one person telling another person telling another person a lie.......doesn't eventually make it the truth. IF new management comes to pass, the park will still be the greatest possible.

What the PMP Board needs is your continued use of the facility and to ask directly before we all become part of the "news worthy" excitement.

Thanks to all,
Ene

bluedevil
June 12th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Thanks Mark, Glenn, Erlene......... If one thing is for sure news media gets a lot wrong (or skews the info), Ive witnessed that 1st hand.

See ya at PMP is 2 weeks !!!!

Vanmar Racing
June 12th, 2008, 09:22 AM
How can a private entity "take over" "Public Land" so that it can make private revenue??? Seems like a Conflict of Interest to me...

And if they ??? claim that they will still allow public activities to take place at the Pueblo facility, it will be up to them as to how many days will be their own, private revenue earning days, and how many days they will allow for public use.

It just seems to me that the existing board has made so many great improvements at the facility and it has been constantly booked for public events. We have been going to Pueblo for 20 years and it has never been better.

748vinny
June 12th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks Mark, Glenn, Erlene......... If one thing is for sure news media gets a lot wrong (or skews the info), Ive witnessed that 1st hand.

Especially FOX.....I guess that's what happens when your related to the Bush family!

St. Hubbins
June 12th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Guys/Gals