PDA

View Full Version : CAMA's "What's Happening" June 3rd

The GECCO
June 3rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
The latest from Charlie Thompson

June 3, 2008 – HPR What’s Happening!

Where to start? There has been so much happening since my last letter.

First, when we received the approval of our Use by Special Review application (USR) from Arapahoe County, several conditions were listed which as of today have now been completely satisfied. Our use permit can now be signed. This will allow for the final negotiations to conditions and collateral assignments required to obtain our Grading Erosion and Seeding Control permit (GESC). This permit is necessary to break ground.

In the meantime CAMA has obtained and is analyzing several bids for grading and asphalt. Needless to say, with the current costs of diesel and oil, these bids are all higher than hoped. Your representatives have been working very hard to analyze these bids and find the right combination of contractors and options to ensure a raceable facility close to the available budget.

Speaking of the budget, CAMA selected to stop updating the thermometer until after current market costs could be better identified, however it will now be updated to reflect our current funding level of $3,024,000. This represents $1,500,000 in loan commitments and $640,000 in member contributions. While race clubs are generally not political, we do applaud Washington for their program of distributing Economic Stimulus checks. Please send your economic stimulus money to CAMA and we will ensure it is utilized to stimulate a deserving asphalt contractor.

CAMA’s negotiations with the Champ Car bankruptcy court resulted in nearly 1,000 Gran Prix concrete barriers being given to our organization. The move required 210 truck loads costing in excess of $80,000 however this investment will provide us with all the safety barriers and facility control we will possibly need. We even obtained enough of the 2’ pit lane walls to set up a safe car service and signaling area along the pit lane.

Track tours of the HPR site are becoming even more popular. Utilize the website, www.highplainsraceway.com , CONTACT US page, if you would like to do a walk-about. The Capital Campaign committee has expanded a program for first year advertisers called the Founding Sponsor program. Contact a CAMA representative if you or a friend has a business which could enhance our fundraising through advertising.

This unfortunately will be my last letter as other business opportunities are forcing me to step down from my Manager role. It would take pages to thank all of the members who have provided the support I needed to perform my duties. The timing is good as the HPR plan and funding are in place allowing me to pass the baton to a fresh set of legs as construction begins. All of the clubs, members, and race fans who have contributed to date should be very proud of what we have accomplished so far - - a spectacular achievement.

Inscribe your ‘Brick’ today and let’s keep HPR on-track!

Charlie Thompson
Former CAMA Manager

I would like to add that we are pleased to announce that Steve Peterson has come on board to assist Project Manager Matt Proehl with the bidding. Steve brings with him decades of experience as an asphalt contractor and is recently retired, so he will be able to dedicate the time that this phase of the project will require in the next few weeks to complete the contractor selection process.

Glenn

froth
June 3rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
Who is in line to replace the man. May I suggest a shortish semi former motorcycle racer and active club prez? Just spitballing.