PDA

View Full Version : Going into neutral too often! What to do?

2Blue
May 27th, 2008, 05:49 PM
This has happened to me more than once. I'm sure it's bad technique that's causing it. I think it's happening when going from 3rd to 1st. It gets scary when trying to re-enage a gear. Sounds like somethings going to break or snap! Why does that happen? Once I finally get it into gear, I put my hand up to signal I'm off of my pace. Am I not putting enough pressure on the gear lever. Should I blip to second then blip to first and then fully let the clutch out or should I pull the clutch in and stomp down until I'm in first and then let the clutch out?

Thanks!

glenngsxr
May 27th, 2008, 08:46 PM
definitely don't stomp down until in first then release clutch. Good way to lock the rear tire and put you on your head. Blip the throttle and match the revs, then slowly ease the clutch out to not disrupt the bike too much.

polar x
May 27th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I always go up a gear (back to 2nd) then let the clutch out like a slipper. I found that my false neutrals were caused by a poorly positioned shifter. Once I got it adjusted for my foot position the false neutrals went away.

Just a thought....

Racing616
May 27th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Guys, PLEASE, don't use first.....unless you have a kit tranny setup in the bike, the travel is far too long to go from 2nd to 1st. Just use 2nd.

bluedevil
May 28th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Guys, PLEASE, don't use first.....unless you have a kit tranny setup in the bike, the travel is far too long to go from 2nd to 1st. Just use 2nd.

Im gonna ditto that... Why the heck would you use 1st on any track we race at?

Secondly: I also had this issue as do most from time to time... My personal issue is lazy down shifting... Not putting enough pressure on the lever to get it to fully go into gear properly and ending up in a false N. This usually happened when I broke to early and came in to a corner to slowly and got lazy, or when I was banging down 3 gears and just didnt have the foot speed I needed to get all of them in...

Best thing to remember is not to pannic, this will cause riders to often go off track due to panic. Remain calm, pull clutch lever in, get through corner and shift on the way out.....

The GECCO
May 28th, 2008, 08:02 AM

Im gonna ditto that... Why the heck would you use 1st on any track we race at?

Another ditto, if you are finding that you MUST use first, you need to change your sprockets (go smaller in the front and/or larger in the rear) so that you only need to go down to 2nd gear to get the pull you need coming out of the tightest turn on the track.

Otis
May 28th, 2008, 08:37 AM
What they said.
Change your gearing

Lel399
May 28th, 2008, 09:47 AM
yup one more on dont use 1st gear

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
May 28th, 2008, 10:19 AM
You guys have to shift? That must be annoying.

Tumbleweed
May 28th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Yes, who needs to shift. I broke my shifter going down the frt straight on the start of the second lap in HWSB on Monday and was luckily stuck in third. I got very lucky that nobody assended me down the back straight. And even better I still beat Dingle :D

DingleBerns
May 28th, 2008, 12:21 PM
you had like a 30 second lead..... :lol: :lol:

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
May 28th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Yes, who needs to shift. I broke my shifter going down the frt straight on the start of the second lap in HWSB on Monday and was luckily stuck in third.
Hey See-Weed - what were you looking for outside of turn 4 Monday afternoon? I saw you head out there on lap 1 or RoR and thought you might know of a shortcut over to turn 13.

Oh, and thanks for being nice when you ended up passing me. :cry:

Tumbleweed
May 28th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I saw something shiny out there and was just curious what it was. It turned out to just be some wet alfalfa. slipery slipery. I had to work hard to get back up to you. I'm just happy I didn't put it down again. Got in a little hot into 4 trying to hold of Jon and Ben. Woops. I don't think Ben wants to be around me on the track anymore, I think he has seen enough. 8)

2Blue
May 29th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks everyone! I'll research the best sprocket combo for my bike.

Wahooman
May 29th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Well for myself and several others this weekend I know we all hit some "false" nuetrals. I was hitting them during practice on Saturday morning going into turn 4. As stated above it was just fast down shifting 2 gears and getting lazy causing it. I also hit one on the start of NGTO I believe and went through turn 1 in nuetral and could do nothing. I am sure I pissed off a bunch behind me but nothing I could do until I got back upright.
As for first gear.....YIKES! I am changing gearing myself since 2nd just doesn't have enough pull out of 13 at MPH or turn 7 at PMP.

cu260r6
May 29th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I guess I'm the odd one out, but I use first gear in the last turn at Hastings and occasionally in the hairpin at Pueblo. My r6 with the stock ecu and fly-by-wire junk retards the throttle below 10k in the first few gears, so if the revs drop below that in second I have to switch down. It's a compromise though because it costs me a couple tenths on entry while waiting for the rear to settle, even with a slipper clutch.

If you have to use first gear kicking the lever harder is only going to cause damage. Since the difference between second and first is the largest in your gearbox you have to rev match a ton more and be careful when releasing the clutch. I sometimes hit the throttle stop when reving between gears. Again, since the difference is so large between the gears you also have to be careful when shifting up out of first. When going from first to second I usually shift manually and avoid the quickshifter.

LEVIATHAN
June 3rd, 2008, 12:46 AM
Charles, you mean there is a clutch on these things? :lol:

That's just great, one more thing to learn how to use.

-Ron