PDA

View Full Version : SV brake- Can I borrow a grinder in Hastings?

phildrummond
May 22nd, 2008, 06:24 PM
Kate just bought an SV but with the racing rearsets, the rear brake is too high for her foot. There is no way to angle it down anymore without some creative machining. So I'm wondering if anyone has a grinder I can borrow to shave off some washers as spacers. I need to grind 2 flat sides on 3 washers to make them fit. The plan: place them on top of the locking nut (the bottom of the 2 nuts) and add some height to the bracket connected to the actual brake pedal/lever.

Or, if you have a GSXR or SV and can give me a better solution, I'm all for it. With the brake setup now, the adjuster bottoms out on the threaded part that pushes up into the master cylinder. So, I can adjust the pedal higher, but not lower. So, I can either cut that piece shorter or I can put spacers in to lower the locking nut and get about 4mm more room.

I can email a pic if this makes no sense. Help me out. It's keeping me up nights! I swear I heard it mocking me in the garage last night.

Thanks.
Tom[/img]

DingleBerns
May 22nd, 2008, 06:42 PM
we should have a grinder if you want to use it in hastings......stop by the professional privateer pits, #48 & #50....

Derek

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
May 23rd, 2008, 12:01 AM
I'll have both electric and air die grinders w/cutoff wheels and carbide bits.

Now if someone was bringing a bridgeport mill, that would be COOL.

froth
May 23rd, 2008, 07:12 AM
I've already packed my junk, but when we get there, I'll look and see if I have a different length shift rod that might work.

phildrummond
May 23rd, 2008, 09:46 AM
thanks for the offers, guys. I used a bastard file with a lot of time and patience and got the spacers shaped right. I didn't get exactly the distance I needed but it lowered the brake about 1/2 inch.

I think the only remedy is either more adjustable rearsets or a shorter length on the part that pushes the piston on the rear master.

So...I'll just tell her not to use the rear brake!