PDA

View Full Version : WARNING:COUNTERFIT BREMBO CYLS

marty
May 15th, 2008, 10:37 AM
i saw this thread on the usgpru forum and wanted to give everyone a heads up. if you see a deal that is too good on a brembo, be weary. stick with reputable vendors like TAW or yoyodyne. keep checking the thread, they will be adding pix soon
http://www.usgpru.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5900&highlight=

Faster Motosports
May 15th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Faster does have 19x18 and 19x20 Master Cylinders in stock as well.

marty
May 15th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Faster does have 19x18 and 19x20 Master Cylinders in stock as well.

:lol: or faster, they are reputable also

T Baggins
May 15th, 2008, 11:54 AM
yeah, but you might have to deal with Leleck :shock: :lol:

Lel399
May 15th, 2008, 12:10 PM
yeah, but you might have to deal with Leleck :shock: :lol:

:lol: :shock: isnt that a bonus? :lol:

glenngsxr
May 15th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Has anybody tried the fakes? Do they work? Just curious? glenn #62

cu260r6
May 15th, 2008, 01:34 PM
They're going for something absurd like $30 on ebay, and I might try one. Unless the bore is not round or the metal just crumbles they'll work, right? I just don't want to reward Chinese counterfeiters though.

Lel399
May 15th, 2008, 01:39 PM
They're going for something absurd like $30 on ebay, and I might try one. Unless the bore is not round or the metal just crumbles they'll work, right? I just don't want to reward Chinese counterfeiters though.

it is your brakes... whats keeping you from dieing! haha thats definately one place i wouldnt risk

Throttleroller277
May 15th, 2008, 02:03 PM
it is your brakes... whats keeping you from dieing! haha thats definately one place i wouldnt risk

I second that!!!!!

glenngsxr
May 15th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Charles,
let me know if you decide to try one and they work. A lot of what we are seeing on ebay are refurbs as well so they are not all knockoffs. If I can save $270 for the same performance, then that means one thing to me. brembo is charging way too much. i wonder what it does cost to make a master cylinder. The R&D costs can't be that bad can they? Of course, I probably won't get a straight answer from anyone cause people are to afraid to admit that these companies are charging way too much for their product. especially the tire warmer business. Glenn #62

cu260r6
May 15th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Dont' worry I'm not going to take it for a spin for the first time during a race as everyone heads into T1. :D

Lel399
May 15th, 2008, 02:22 PM
a cast part (or billet part) that probably cost hundreds of thousands to create the mold to be able to cast them for mass production and not lose quality (if not millions), the R&D to find what works best, the manpower behind it. People tend to forget your not paying for just a part

Simple supply and demand. The demand is definately there (19x20's had been backordered most the spring) so the supply is low, so they can charge what they want, is it a lot of money, definately! It comes down to what is in your wallet.

Hindsight is 20/20... its pretty easy to look at it now and go 'OH! i want to build a 19 bore master cylinder, that has a 20 pivot! because that rocks!' Its not the part you are always paying for, but the technology. Could the $30 master work? hell yea it might, but it is my brakes and I am not willing to take that risk with my life for $270. My ability to walk talk and eat on my own is worth way more than that.

guess thats my opinion :P take it as you will

lel

hcr25
May 15th, 2008, 02:23 PM
We are more worried about your axle nut or steering stem nut being tight! of course you need to make it past pre grid first :wink:

glenngsxr
May 15th, 2008, 02:31 PM
maybe a gsxr 1000 frame, but not a master cylinder. I know I am not paying for just a part, but a master cylinder is not rocket science. It's a moot point so I will just shut up. Glenn #62

Hotrod
May 15th, 2008, 03:24 PM
We are more worried about your axle nut or steering stem nut being tight! of course you need to make it past pre grid first :wink:
Awesome! Just awesome! :lol:

Lel399
May 15th, 2008, 03:48 PM
maybe a gsxr 1000 frame, but not a master cylinder. I know I am not paying for just a part, but a master cylinder is not rocket science. It's a moot point so I will just shut up. Glenn #62

:roll:

and tires are just big black round doughnuts with no technology behind them, its just rubber in a circle! not rocket science :lol: :twisted:

PremiumBlend
May 15th, 2008, 06:07 PM
People on my stunt website call them "Frembo's"... they actually work ok for rolling long endos. Smooth feel, not to mushy which is really surprising... but until I can afford a magura or brembo, I'll stick with my 1000RR MC.

DingleBerns
May 15th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Bought mine at Faster! Thanks Guys! 8)

cu260r6
May 15th, 2008, 07:15 PM

Ouch. Mike, you of all people should sympathize with my propensity to get intimate with the pavement unexpectedly. :D

hcr25
May 16th, 2008, 09:16 AM

Ouch. Mike, you of all people should sympathize with my propensity to get intimate with the pavement unexpectedly. :D

Very true i have had more then my share of crashes. Although i have never highsided on pregrid :oops:

Im just poking fun at your bike preparedness. Hire a mechanic already

:)

cu260r6
May 16th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Im just poking fun at your bike preparedness.

And I'll admit there's a lot to poke fun at. I'm like Cole Trickle, but not as fast. I just don't know anything about bikes. :lol:

hcr25
May 16th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Im just poking fun at your bike preparedness.

And I'll admit there's a lot to poke fun at. I'm like Cole Trickle, but not as fast. I just don't know anything about bikes. :lol:

If you are Cole Trickle, make sure you dont put me into a wall when you leave the pits :)
That movie was awesome!

marty
June 12th, 2008, 03:30 PM
i still don't have a pic from the original post, but here is a link to one of the fakes on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-GSX-R-G-Front-Brake-Radial-Master-Cylinder-Leve_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35615QQihZ019QQite mZ290236808411QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
the one big difference that has been noticed is the fakes are powdercoated instead of anodized. i can't tell from the pic, but the real ones have the size stamped on also (ie 16x18 or 19xwhatever big bikes use)

dragos13
June 12th, 2008, 03:41 PM
good find marty. here is what the real ones will look like:

http://www.oppracing.com/images/uploaded/pr3747_1.jpg

marty
June 12th, 2008, 03:47 PM
it looks like the real one is a lighter color than the fake and the brembo logo is stamped on the real on instead of painted

OConnell
June 12th, 2008, 04:11 PM
i still don't have a pic from the original post, but here is a link to one of the fakes on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-GSX-R-G-Front-Brake-Radial-Master-Cylinder-Leve_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35615QQihZ019QQite mZ290236808411QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
the one big difference that has been noticed is the fakes are powdercoated instead of anodized. i can't tell from the pic, but the real ones have the size stamped on also (ie 16x18 or 19xwhatever big bikes use)

Well, at least that seller is coming out and saying that it isn't genuine.

T Baggins
June 12th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Somebody 'splain me why all the fuss?

I've never used my brakes hard enough to think "Gee, these stock brakes suck - I think I need to spend $300 on a Brembo master cylinder."

Am I missing something here? Would spending that $$ actually make me faster - or would I better off spending it on 4 track days, or a set of new tires, or 5 bottles of Patron Reposado??

The brakes on my two TZ's have a distinctly different feel. One is ROCK HARD, right now. The other is 1/4 travel to start, 1/2 - 3/4 travel to full braking (no matter how much I bleed it). I adjust my riding and braking accordingly.

I wish I sold Brembo's - I could take all you guy's money and still be as fast as most of you... :wink:

DingleBerns
June 12th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I saw a difference on my R6 and love it! But I'm still slow so what's the difference....

dragos13
June 12th, 2008, 04:23 PM
For you Tony, spend it on the Patron.

Once you step up to a big boy bike and need something strong to slow down the 400 pounds between your legs, then you might understand.

Even on your small bike you are still faster then me so i'll just shut up now.

marty
June 12th, 2008, 04:31 PM
need something strong to slow down the 400 pounds between your legs

:shock:

DingleBerns
June 12th, 2008, 05:24 PM
to slow down the 400 pounds between your legs

You need Brownie's advice regarding that one! :D

marty
June 12th, 2008, 05:47 PM
to slow down the 400 pounds between your legs

You need Brownie's advice regarding that one! :D
:shock: :lol:
u cheatin' on bubba dingle?

Throttleroller277
June 13th, 2008, 08:43 AM

The brakes on my two TZ's have a distinctly different feel. One is ROCK HARD, right now. The other is 1/4 travel to start, 1/2 - 3/4 travel to full braking (no matter how much I bleed it). I adjust my riding and braking accordingly.

Exactly!! Both my R6's are essentially the same, but one of them has a stock master cylinder, and the other has a Brembo. Does the Brembo make me any faster?.......not really. I rode the bike with the stock one all season last year in Middleweight Endurance, and obviously it did the job just fine.

I do notice a big difference in the "Feed Back" and "Feel" that the Brembo gives me though. But just as Tony said, I adjust my braking accordingly. ...........just my 2 cents.

You shoulda saw the size of the one I was Throttling the other night Dingle!!! :shock: I had to break out the ol' Power Assist. 8)

DingleBerns
June 13th, 2008, 09:46 AM
You shoulda saw the size of the one I was Throttling the other night Dingle!!! :shock: I had to break out the ol' Power Assist. 8)

:lol: Just be sure you have a bottle of that gear lube! and some crackers for that blue cheese!

Throttleroller277
June 13th, 2008, 09:48 AM
YamaLube!!

OConnell
June 16th, 2008, 10:44 AM

Exactly!! Both my R6's are essentially the same, but one of them has a stock master cylinder, and the other has a Brembo. Does the Brembo make me any faster?.......not really. I rode the bike with the stock one all season last year in Middleweight Endurance, and obviously it did the job just fine.

I do notice a big difference in the "Feed Back" and "Feel" that the Brembo gives me though. But just as Tony said, I adjust my braking accordingly. ...........just my 2 cents.

To be fair, your R6 came with a brembo master. Granted it is a smaller brembo, but I digress.

On my GSXR 1000, my brakes will pull to the bar half way though the race with the stock master, even freshly bled. With the bremo, they are pretty much the same though the race, and at no point can I pull it to the bar without flying over the top.