PDA

View Full Version : Legality of exhaust wrap?

Aracheon
May 15th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Another n00bish question that I wasn't able to find a quick answer for in the rulebook, and I've had conflicting opinions from different people.

Is exhaust wrap legal?

The pipe on the R6 runs dangerously close to the right rearset, and I REALLY, REALLY don't want to melt my brand new Vertigo Corsas. I'd feel much better if I'd be able to wrap just that part of the pipe.

OConnell
May 15th, 2008, 08:53 AM
From the rule book:

14. Exhaust systems.
a. Wrapping of exhaust systems is prohibited, except in the area of
the rider's foot for protection from heat.

There is a link to the rule book on the main mra-racing.org page if you want to look through it further.

Aracheon
May 15th, 2008, 09:05 AM
From the rule book:

14. Exhaust systems.

There is a link to the rule book on the main mra-racing.org page if you want to look through it further.

How in the hell did I miss that?

I guess maybe I'll learn how to read first... thanks man. :D

hcr25
May 15th, 2008, 09:31 AM
From the rule book:

14. Exhaust systems.

How in the hell did I miss that?

I guess maybe I'll learn how to read first... thanks man. :D

Actually you didnt miss that. That is a supersport rule only and since you are a novice you only need to worry about superbike rules. So you can wrap your exhaust from header to can and be 100% legal.
mike

The GECCO
May 15th, 2008, 09:52 AM
^^^

What he said, that rule is ONLY for Supersport classes. All other classes have no rules regarding exhaust wrap.

Aracheon
May 15th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks fellas! :D

mbohn
October 17th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Actually you didnt miss that. That is a supersport rule only and since you are a novice you only need to worry about superbike rules. So you can wrap your exhaust from header to can and be 100% legal.
mike

Does exhaust wrap give a performance benefit?

Aracheon
October 17th, 2008, 04:29 PM
mike

Does exhaust wrap give a performance benefit?

Yeah, albeit a very miniscule one on bikes I would think - it's old hot rod technology. The theory is that the hotter the exhaust is, the faster it moves through the system.

I was using exhaust wrap to prevent the pipe from melting my boot, though - not for any performance benefit.