PDA

View Full Version : Shame on Us!

Wild Cheetah 612
May 13th, 2008, 07:32 PM
There was a huge call for more PR for the MRA. We created a PR Committee and started out doing some good stuff.
Unfortunately, things have fallen off dramatically. There are a about four or five of us still active out of about 20 or so who signed up.
The latest fall out from this was the Meet and Greet at BMW-Ducati in the Springs was attended by Erik Peat, who works there, and Darin Clark, a first year novice. Vinny drove the MRA truck down there all the way from Ft. Collins on Friday and returned Sunday to pick it back up. It was a pretty poor showing by us! I apologize that I couldn't attend, but I was obligated to help my sister move and was in California. BMW-Ducati in the Springs is sponsoring the MRA and it would have been nice to support them in return.

Don't mean to rag on you guys, but we need your help at these events.

Racing616
May 13th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I agree, more needs to be done. An idea, can we PLEASE put together some press releases after the races. We have some of the most competitive racers in the country (I plan on representing that a few times this year) and think we need to bring some of that feeling back to the country. How about Cyclenews, Roadracing world? I read about other clubs, and then think back to our weekends and how good our racing is.....I am always amazed when a guy on an R6, who reads these magazines, asks me where we race, and who races.......

JimWilson29
May 13th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I agree with Brad. Someone with a subscription to RRWorld asked me not long ago why they never saw any press releases or other articles regarding the MRA, yet most other regional clubs had some mention. I realize the issue is finding someone that will write an unbiased release and do it consistently. I think we can find someone within this club to do it.

On a positive note, there was a good MRA turnout this evening at Bostons in Highlands Ranch. We distributed MRA fliers and programs to those that attended.

glenngsxr
May 14th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Jim,
great event last night! I noticed the pile of fliers was considerably lower when I left last night and I saw a ton of racers and street guys mingling so that was good.
We have done some good things to get visibility with things like the displays stands, fliers, open houses, and banners(thanks Marty), but the bulk of the people are nowhere to be found. It would have been nice to get more people at the Southern Colorado BMW-Ducati open house. I planned on going until my friends in Ellicott called me to help them evacuate their house. It didn't help, the fire burned everything they owned and killed their pets so the last thing I thought about was the open house. Plus, with the cost of gas, it does not have to be me at all these open houses. All of our riders are sponsored by a shop somewhere and I think it it also their responsibility to be there. I can get you fliers if needed. Just contact me. All of the other ideas at the PR meeting have not been followed through on. It also does not help that the new track is not going to happen this year since that was supposed to be a facelift for the club. Glenn #62

Jon
May 14th, 2008, 07:16 AM
As I at first was part of the PR committee I had to formally announce my resignation to Donna a while back due to my child duties during my ongoing and never ending divorce proceedings. After seeing the turnout at the first meeting however I thought (or should I say assumed) the PR enthusiasm would reign on. But as in the past, people are way more enthusiastic in the beginning and it goes away once the choirs are handed out. I sorry to see those folks who committed to our club, drop the ball and sorry that one of our sponsors had to see this first hand. Wasn't someone going to write press releases for the mags and see that these events at the various shops were attended? I saw Donna post asking people top sign up but no one responded. The few who are actually carrying the ball already have enough on there plates, thanks to them we still have a PR committee to you others your letting your club flounder.

Wild Cheetah 612
May 14th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Great idea, Brad! Can you help by writing one?
I know Sasha is out there writing stuff for LoR, but we need more help.
Jon's right. Glenn Carlson, Marty, Sasha and I have a ton on our plates with this and can't do it all. And with respect to our Meet and Greets, it would be helpful if those living in around the area of the shops where the events are could show up. I don't expect people from the Springs to drive all the way up to Ft. Collins to an event and visa versa. So let's try to help out locally.
I spoke with Erik Peat down at BMW-Ducati and asked him to send along my apologies to the owners and requested that we do this again and try to make up for our poor attendance.

JimWilson29
May 14th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Jim,
great event last night! I noticed the pile of fliers was considerably lower when I left last night and I saw a ton of racers and street guys mingling so that was good.
We have done some good things to get visibility with things like the displays stands, fliers, open houses, and banners(thanks Marty), but the bulk of the people are nowhere to be found. It would have been nice to get more people at the Southern Colorado BMW-Ducati open house. I planned on going until my friends in Ellicott called me to help them evacuate their house. It didn't help, the fire burned everything they owned and killed their pets so the last thing I thought about was the open house. Plus, with the cost of gas, it does not have to be me at all these open houses. All of our riders are sponsored by a shop somewhere and I think it it also their responsibility to be there. I can get you fliers if needed. Just contact me. All of the other ideas at the PR meeting have not been followed through on. It also does not help that the new track is not going to happen this year since that was supposed to be a facelift for the club. Glenn #62

Thanks Glenn! I am glad you had a good time.
If you haven't seen them yet, Mark Nudelman and Ricky Orlando got these really cool displays for the MRA Programs-

http://home.comcast.net/~jimwilson7020/Images/MRA_program_display.jpg

glenngsxr
May 14th, 2008, 09:40 AM
They are pretty sweet indeed. they came right to about waist level and it gave tons of visibility to the fliers and programs. Glenn #62

gpsigs
May 14th, 2008, 01:06 PM
i do live in the springs, however unfortunately i was dedicated to an open house that same day in longmont for my sponsor.

there is not an easy fix to the situation as many people who race do work in the motorcycle industry, which means their busy day is saturday, and thus its extremely difficult to show up to a sponsors event which would also most likely be on their busy day (saturday)

the other thing is that those who most likely would respond and be active in volunteering are the type of people who are also probably very actively involved in their own race programs, which means they are already stetched to the limit as far as what they may be able to offer.

sorry i do not have an answer, I am definitely willing to help. it becomes difficult though as i'm sure many of you already have to compromise some of the potential of different parts of your own program due to a lack of enough time before you even begin trying to be involved in bigger things suchs as the MRA. i am constantly finding myself having pushed to the limit even while not sleeping enough and living racing as I try to handle racing, physical fitness, , practice, sponsorship seeking, public relations, mechanical work, and working to pay for all that we do.

i'm learning quickly that its extremely difficult and inefficient to be trying to handle all of a programs needs on one's own race program or similarly for you few that are working so hard on MRA PR stuff to do it on your own.

i guess this doesn't get us anywhere, just trying to reason through frustrations of ours

polar x
May 14th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I am more than happy to attend an Open house too, but so far your schedule has conflicted with my schedule. But anything on the south side is doable for me if I am in country.

cu260r6
May 14th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I use to draft press releases as part of a past job, and I'd be happy to write one up after each race, but I didn't want to send out the MRA logo and info on a release without the board's consent. I can write one on my laptop on the way home from Hastings on Monday night if one of the board members gives me the ok.

polar x
May 15th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I use to draft press releases as part of a past job, and I'd be happy to write one up after each race, but I didn't want to send out the MRA logo and info on a release without the board's consent. I can write one on my laptop on the way home from Hastings on Monday night if one of the board members gives me the ok.

I CAN GUARANTEE YOU WILL GET AN OK. So you may as well start writing it. and that's Coonshead with a C.....lol

Wild Cheetah 612
May 15th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Great! Write it, email me a copy, and we'll get it approved. Easy as that! Thanks!!!!

VParra '06EquipMgr
May 15th, 2008, 04:55 PM
The M.R.A. Truck will be down in Littleton in the early AM.
Grand Prix Motorsports
3105 W. County Line Rd.
Littleton, CO 80129

Then I'll head up to Thornton for the early PM. Just need a place to park when I get to Thornton. So I am putting in my reservation for a highly visible parking spot for the MRA truck.
Colorado Powersports in Denver.
2050 W 104th Ave.
Thornton, CO 80234
(303) 427-9000.

Also, might drop on-bye @ BMW / Ducati of Northern Co on the way home in the late PM as NORTHERN COLO. BMW / DUCATI MORORCYCLES AND DUCATI NORTH AMERICA INVITE YOU TO THE MONSTER 696 NATIONAL PREMIERE
6002 Byrd Drive
Loveland, CO. 80538

See you ALL there, here and there.