PDA

View Full Version : Mountain biking in Golden

Tumbleweed
May 5th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Just wanted to see if anybody is interested in doing some mountain biking in Golden. I have been riding Matthews Winters Park and Apex Park lately to have a little fun and train for the race season. It is getting a little boring riding by myself so I just wanted to see if anybody wanted to hit the trails with me. I rode both Sat and Sun this last weekend at about 8am. I was home by 10am. It was a little cold this last weekend but when the weather is better I figure we can start the ride around 7am. That way it won't affect our other weekend plans. And by the way if you have never riden Apex and Enchanted Forest Trails you are missing out. They are a blast. Very technical and a hell of a kick but climb to get to the downhills. Please novices need not apply. You need to be an experienced Mountain Biker or you will probably just get hurt. Anybody in?

Spicee Brown
May 5th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Tumbleweed,
I didnt even finish reading your message...and Im in. Im in decent MTB shape, Ive been riding near rattlesnake gulch, Heil and the occasional Hall. Apex is fun, and its time to up my program. Still havnt done Walker, but thats my fave.
Friday looks like rain, Sat I work at the dealer, and Sunday is the VanMar Pony Express(which Im trying to conivince Dale, justin, Dion and anyone to do. So this week is out. Im limited to riding my road bicycle to work and back, which includes 3 major climbs to Louisville.
In other words, Im training while you sleep..heh hehe...

Tumbleweed
May 5th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Awesome, keep up the training on the road bike and we'll hook up as soon as you have a free sunday. This is gonna be fun.

Who else is in.

gsnyder828
May 5th, 2008, 10:39 AM
=P~ Enchanted Forest =P~

That's fun riding - haven't ridden there in a few years - but it seems I don't have a free weekend until July...

and by then Apex is too damn hot for me - even in the early morning.

Have fun.

bluedevil
May 5th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Sunday is the VanMar Pony Express(which Im trying to conivince Dale, justin, Dion and anyone to do. . ..

No go for me... Homeboy is between vehicles right now so Id be riding the ole race bike down I25 :roll: that and Im broke.. HAHA

I need to get me a mountain or road bike though... Been wanting to for years and have yet to pull the trigger on that one yet... Since Weed has 37 two wheeled modes of transportation currently, maybe Ill have to borrow his Barbie bike and go wit cha.... :wink:

Tumbleweed
May 5th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Dion, I think we will have to start you off on something a little mellower than enchanted forest. But I do have two mountain bikes now. But you will have to ride the hardtail. The full suspension bike is for me.

bluedevil
May 5th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Dion, I think we will have to start you off on something a little mellower than enchanted forest. But I do have two mountain bikes now. But you will have to ride the hardtail. The full suspension bike is for me.

(Fights off hard tail joke and walks away) :wink:

Tumbleweed
May 5th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I wasn't calling you fat. I was just saying the good newer bike is mine and the 13 year old bike you can ride. ](*,)

bluedevil
May 5th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I wasn't calling you fat. I was just saying the good newer bike is mine and the 13 year old bike you can ride. ](*,)

doofus.. It was a A$$ joke.. HAHA Are you new here?

JimWilson29
May 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM
And by the way if you have never riden Apex and Enchanted Forest Trails you are missing out. They are a blast. Very technical and a hell of a kick but climb to get to the downhills. Please novices need not apply. You need to be an experienced Mountain Biker or you will probably just get hurt. Anybody in?

No shit. I still have a big scar on my knee from when I went off the trail at Apex and tumbled down the side of the mountain... :|

Tumbleweed
May 5th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Sweet. Does that mean you are in Jim. 8)

Sorry Dion. I'm a little slow. :D

JimWilson29
May 5th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Sweet. Does that mean you are in Jim. 8)

My old pos cannondale cant make it up Apex. :( i'll stick with Waterton canyon till i get a new bike and then i will take you up on it. :D

Tumbleweed
May 5th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Sweet. I understand the old bike thing. I rode Apex yesterday with my dad. I was on my Nishiki. I bought this bike 14 or 15 years ago when I was in high school. It has Judy Rock Shox. I think they have like 2 inches of travel. That was a bouncy ride but I caught some sweet air going down Enchanted Forest. My dad is buying a new bike so he is giving me his old bike. I don't even know what it is. I just know it is better than what I got. Time to kick some Apex ass. :D

Brian38
May 5th, 2008, 05:46 PM

doofus.. It was a A$$ joke.. HAHA Are you new here?

I'm not fat I'm just big boned...... :lol: :twisted: :D :P

phildrummond
May 5th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Another good loop is Mt Falcon to Lair of the Bear. It's my favorite Front Ranger. Park in Mt Falcon's East lot out of Morrison, climb Mt Falcon to the peak to the West lot, then down the paved road to whatever that main road is. Turn right and head down the hill (on the road). The fun part of the loop is just down the road to the right. After all the climbing you just did, it's mostly rolling, largely downhill and will spit you out on Hwy 72 from Evergreen. A few miles down the road, turn right in Morrison, and it's an easy road ride back to the car.

I'm a roadie at heart, so this loop is like mountain bike supermoto! I ride with a Cat II road racer and neo-pro MTB rider who kicks my arse, but I hang in.

Apex and Chimney gulch rock, I hear. I have an aluminum hard tail so that rocky stuff shortens my spine.

phildrummond
May 5th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Another good loop is Mt Falcon to Lair of the Bear. It's my favorite Front Ranger. Park in Mt Falcon's East lot out of Morrison, climb Mt Falcon to the peak to the West lot, then down the paved road to whatever that main road is. Turn right and head down the hill (on the road). The fun part of the loop is just down the road to the right. After all the climbing you just did, it's mostly rolling, largely downhill and will spit you out on Hwy 72 from Evergreen. A few miles down the road, turn right in Morrison, and it's an easy road ride back to the car.

I'm a roadie at heart, so this loop is like mountain bike supermoto! I ride with a Cat II road racer and neo-pro MTB rider who kicks my arse, but I hang in.

Apex and Chimney gulch rock, I hear. I have an aluminum hard tail so that rocky stuff shortens my spine.

phildrummond
May 5th, 2008, 08:32 PM

MSienkiewicz
May 5th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I'll hook up with ya'
Not sure if I'll be able this Saturday, but will be looking throughout the summer.

Keep me posted.

Tumbleweed
May 5th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I'll keep this post updated towards this weekend and in the future. As of now the weather does not look promising for Saturday. Sunday looks like it should be good. I plan on riding Sunday morning. I am thinking 7am will be a good time to start. We can do different rides but I do want to do Apex and Enchanted Forest this weekend. Whoever shows up shows up and we'll have a good time. If nobody shows up I will still have a good time. The trailhead for Apex starts in the lower lot of Heritage Square. I park in the lower lot and ride from there. The ride should take no longer than 2 hours. If we have a fast group it can be done in 1 hour. I'm thinking it will probably be done in 1 1/2 hours. This means we will be on our way home around 9am.

Tumbleweed
May 9th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Alright, if anybody wants to tag along I will be riding the Apex, Enchanted Forest Loop both Sat and Sun this weekend. I will be leaving the Heritage Square lower parking lot at 7:30am both mornings. Should be done with the ride around 9am. The weather as of now shows no rain either morning and in the 40's. Anybody interested can call me at 303 261 2938 or just show up.

Chris Weed

Tumbleweed
May 10th, 2008, 09:46 AM
The weather was perfect this morning. Not too cold, not too hot, not too busy. Plus there was a nice pack of dear along the trail. I'll be hitting it up again tomorrow morning at 7:30am. If you are interested I'll see you there.
later

DingleBerns
June 4th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Chris, I'm going to go to Apex with a buddy of mine this saturday, you going to be there?

Dingle

Tumbleweed
June 5th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Yes Dingle, 7am. anybody else who wants to come just show up at the lower parking lot at heritage square at 7am.