PDA

View Full Version : Trophy Poll

Lel399
April 30th, 2008, 02:43 PM
This is an adhoc poll of what people would like to see for the first place trophies. This in NO WAY means that the trophies can or will change; so this is nothing other than an opinion poll.

Donna has put in A LOT of hard work to make the trophies what they are, and she deserves everyones thanks for the effort she puts into each weekend's trophies so we even have anything to have an opinion on; so thank you Donna!

Below I grabbed some pictures off of the crowntrophy site of the crystals and motorcycle man for some reference.

'Pewter Man' (6x9 1/2")
http://www.crowntrophy.com/images/Sculptures/resins/2006_CRMML.jpg

Crystal Trophies - (4 1/2" tall)
http://www.crowntrophy.com/images/optiGlass/2840sw-sm.png

dragos13
April 30th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I agree with the Pewter guy, and would also like to revert back to the plaques for 2nd and 3rd.

bluedevil
April 30th, 2008, 03:04 PM
voted... I like the crystals for 2nd and 3rd.. just not for 1st place.....

Id even settle to see a larger crystal for 1st... something that sets it apart.....

Side bar: I searched for hours to see if there were other options of the "Pewter man" out there... Unfortunately for the dirt riders there are lots of options... but for the road racers... Not so much...

Jon
April 30th, 2008, 03:16 PM
After racing for years and years, I assure most all of you will begin to question just what to do with the boxes and boxes of paraphernalia that racing will bring you. I remember this one fellow who used to race, when he didn't like the trophies he just went to the trophy store and bought himself what he did like. I think the crystal ones are kind of cool, different and look great displayed in a case though I haven't been able to yet pry it from my five year sons hands!

Slider
April 30th, 2008, 03:22 PM
+ 1 Donna has done a great job!

I had some friends form work over last night, and they had asked me why i was displaying my work achievement awards. After taking a closer look they realized there was something different written on them. Point being is i don't work hard at work... but i try my hardest every weekend at the track. Long live the "Pewter Man"

clowe
April 30th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Donna,
Great work! I love the new trophies but it would be cool to maybe just have a bigger one for 1st. That is my thought.
Keep up the great work....

polar x
April 30th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I agree with Crash (though I will never see one) I think a bigger version for first then smaller for 2nd and third.

I though they looked nice.

Clarkie
April 30th, 2008, 07:52 PM
hated the plaques, like so much i just keep them in a box, the motorcycle guy was ok, but just ok.

i like the idea of the new ones, they are really smart, professional and look good anywhere in the house or office. I guess I am not the typical racers as i dont have a 'trophy room' in the house and there arent even any photos or pictures of bikes in the house. A bit of stuff in the garage but mainly just stuff stacked in a corner.

Could the 1st place crystal ones be a ittle larger? Sure, but I would rather see the club spend money on other things first rather than just more expensive trophies.

if you dont like my answer/opinion tough, you asked for it :D

Racing616
April 30th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I agree with Clarkie, completely, verbatim, even the garage with the box of plaques. The glass is the best I have ever seen. Lets put the money elsewhere, well done Donna.

Clarkie
April 30th, 2008, 08:20 PM
completely, verbatim

what did you call me? :lol:

Racing616
April 30th, 2008, 10:15 PM
vermin, sorry for the confusion, lol.

chris nami
April 30th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I am with Clarkie and B-rad! (i can't spell Ver...bate...whatever)
Donna, you did a great job with the crystal and All i have to say is this...F the pewter guy and the softball / bowling trophies! :mrgreen: -C

bluedevil
May 1st, 2008, 07:16 AM
The glass is the best I have ever seen. Lets put the money elsewhere,

I thought the class sponsors paid for the trophies?

Jon
May 1st, 2008, 07:26 AM
We trophy sponsors do pay for the trophies. Personally, as a longtime trophy sponsor, suggested a couple years ago, allowing us sponsors to choose the individual trophies we wanted for our class, take care of purchasing them and get them to the track each weekend. At the time it was voted down as not being in the spirit or something along those lines.
I through my years of racing have won some pretty neat, as well as some pretty lame trophies. I would be glad for what you have now.

glenngsxr
May 1st, 2008, 07:33 AM
I am glad for them, seeing how I have never gotten one. but, I do hope to change that one day. Let's keep them. Glenn #62

Clarkie
May 1st, 2008, 07:33 AM
vermin, sorry for the confusion, lol.

that's better :lol: :lol: :lol:

dragos13
May 1st, 2008, 10:00 AM
So the racers who have "tons" of trophies want to keep the crystals, where as the racers who have yet to take a first place, want the Pewter guy back. I can only guess who the club is going to listen to.

From what I understand, it was stated that the crystals actually cost more. If everyone is supporting the idea of putting money to good use somewhere else, wouldn't it make sense to go back to what was cheaper? I wish I had an excess of trophies filling my garage but I dont. I have a couple plaques from last year and thats it. To be honest, these crystals aren't even noticed when sitting on my shelf. I guess it must be nice to have to worry about where to stack the boxes of trophies that some of you racers have. I just feel that our time and money spent to practice and race, should be awarded with something that people would atleast take a glance at. I do race to WIN, not to win a trophy. I just always thought it was cool to see the Pewter man. I mean, its something unique to roadracing, and is clear as to what type of award it is.

I hope not to make anyone upset, and I'm not trying to offend any of you fast guys. I respect the club and all its members.

HAMMER
May 1st, 2008, 10:49 AM
love the glass... just make 1st a little bigger!!!!!!! or put it on a wood stand or somethin.....carve a bike in it?? glue a gold "one" on top of it

a++++++ on the new trophys...... verry classy :D

T Baggins
May 1st, 2008, 10:54 AM
We trophy sponsors do pay for the trophies. Personally, as a longtime trophy sponsor, suggested a couple years ago, allowing us sponsors to choose the individual trophies we wanted for our class, take care of purchasing them and get them to the track each weekend. At the time it was voted down as not being in the spirit or something along those lines.
I through my years of racing have won some pretty neat, as well as some pretty lame trophies. I would be glad for what you have now.

Historically we've barely been able to get the trophy sponsors to pay for the sponsorship before the season is over - and some have never paid at all. Some of this was due to our poor billing processes, some due to slow payment by the sponsors. So, to expect them to have trophies prepared, ready to go, and delivered to the track consistently is unreasonable. That's the biggest reason it was voted down.

As I said before - if the pewter man is so critical - you can certainly buy one for under $20. I'm in the same boat as Jon. I have everything from AMAZING to crappy and everything in between. The 4th place plaque I earned at Daytona for the CCS National championship is actually suckier (and smaller) than any plaque we've ever done in the MRA. But that doesn't make it any less meaningful...

If you've looked at the Poll, it's about even between leaving them as is, and going back to pewter man...

It's gonna take way more support from the membership to initiate a change - imo.

chris nami
May 1st, 2008, 10:57 AM
good point Casey, but as a new class sponsor i was very happy to just see some effort and creativity put into our trophies. i am proud to have my company's name on the new stuff.

Question; if someone was looking at your trophy at home or the office, would they know it was any less or better than any other?...

i think the racers who have been around a while are not only tired of the same old stuff year to year but most of us like to show our accomplishments in a little more mature and sophisticated way. not to say that pewter guy is not mature but long ago were the days talking my wife into putting the pewter guy on the mantle for the world to see.
...the five foot tall Mx trophies are sweet for disco ball style effects in the house when cars drive by at night. they also look cool next to my posters of Voltron and Quiet Riot. i would be happy to trade some pewter guy slash moto-bowling trophies for some of the new ones. -JYD

Wild Cheetah 612
May 1st, 2008, 11:39 AM
love the glass... just make 1st a little bigger!!!!!!! or put it on a wood stand or somethin.....carve a bike in it?? glue a gold "one" on top of it

a++++++ on the new trophys...... verry classy :D
Forget it, Hammer! Not only am I a music teacher, but I teach art at my school. I am personally making one for you! :twisted:

loujr
May 1st, 2008, 12:33 PM
I personally think the new look is awsome! I do think that 1st place should stand out from the 2nd and 3rd place trophy, but overall the rock! I don't know if the MRA will ever be able to have a trophy that everyone agrees on with all the different dislikes, and likes. I am just glad we get them!

Lel399
May 1st, 2008, 04:45 PM
It looks like its pretty 50/50.

One quick question though... it was said these trophies have been around a 'long time'.... from my knowledge I think they have only been around 2 years.... so they arent that saturated are they (other than in shane and clarkies garage)

2005, Justin Meyer won MWSS and AMU the first weekend and got two plaques... and I think in 04 he won a sportsman race when he started (and there were still trophies for sportsman) and that was also a plaque. So were the pewter mans used prior to 04 and rotated out for plaques and then back again for 06 and 07 seasons?

just curious.

lel

Wild Cheetah 612
May 1st, 2008, 06:22 PM
Just went through Otis' collection of Motorcycle Men and found them as far back as 2002. My first one came in '05.
Sorry for the fuzzy cell phone pic...
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/wcr612/2002.jpg

dragos13
May 2nd, 2008, 09:50 AM
what a sweet trophy :cry:

T Baggins
May 2nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
I've got like 30 of them Casey... you want one? :lol:

dragos13
May 2nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
I've got like 30 of them Casey... you want one? :lol:

no i want to win one. can you help me with that???

I'll take care of the racing part, you just make sure thats what the award will be :twisted:

T Baggins
May 2nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
well, if you'd try to keep up with me for a lap - I'd show you the lines... - and then you would win! :twisted:

When you finally win a race, I'll personally get you a pewter man - if they club isn't providing them at that time. :wink:

dragos13
May 2nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
well, if you'd try to keep up with me for a lap - I'd show you the lines... - and then you would win! :twisted:

When you finally win a race, I'll personally get you a pewter man - if they club isn't providing them at that time. :wink:

Thanks Tony, I imagine thats what I'll have to settle for.

As for keeping up, do you have a remedy for that?

You are fast as hell Tony, and I'm sure thats why you have a bunch of Pewter Men. I wish I could fully explain how being a newer racer, I was always looking forward to winning one. I'm even happy with the plaques I got but they are nothing compared to the Pewter Man. I really hope we can go back, and I'm sure lots of newer racers agree.

Wild Cheetah 612
May 2nd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Just a rough general demographic of responses.

Older racers (watch it! I'm talking about my age) and regular podium finishers are happy with the new trophies. Probably a result of maturity and an overabundance of "men."

Younger racers and those chasing the podium prefer the "man." Probably a result of youth and lack of "men."

What I'm thinking at this point is to stick with the crystals for now (I am researching something a bit different for 1st). When you youngsters start winning more we can revisit this issue again.

T Baggins
May 2nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
As for keeping up, do you have a remedy for that?

Simple. More gas, less brakes - and for whatever reason most all of you new guys are turning in waaaaay too early, and it's 'effing up your drive out of the corners.

Oh, and you're not riding a TZ250...

dragos13
May 2nd, 2008, 11:39 AM
What I'm thinking at this point is to stick with the crystals for now (I am researching something a bit different for 1st). When you youngsters start winning more we can revisit this issue again.

I figure you are going to listen to senior racers more then us novice guys. They have been around and we are new. However, my teammate took 3 first place finishes this weekend. Its funny too, one of our big sponsors asked us to take a picture with the bikes and trophies so they could hang it up in the restaurant. We just laughed.

Oh well, I'll still be driving for that first place as hard as ever (even harder now that I got tony's offer :wink: )

T Baggins
May 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
It's not a function of new guy opinion vs. old guy opinion Casey, don't take it so personally. We've just been using the same trophies for YEARS and it was time to mix it up. It's difficult for me to tell one season from the next when all the trophies are the same. I personally enjoy a little variety.

Maybe next year we'll issue vouchers for people, and they can pick any trophy they want up to a certain dollar value? That way people who don't give a crap (at all) won't get one (thus saving the club money) and those who DO give a crap can get whatever they want. If they want some thing 10' tall, that's fine - but they'll have to pay the difference.

I have no worries about whether or not you'll win a race Casey, the Youngblood team is haulin' ass this year. And as I said, the first Pewter man is on me!

cosp600rr
May 2nd, 2008, 11:47 AM
Hey Casey I think thats your problem. You need to RIDE the bike rather than drive it. :D

cosp600rr
May 2nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
I really want one of those giant motocross style trophies Thats as tall as I am.

dragos13
May 2nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
And as I said, the first Pewter man is on me!

Good enough for me Tony :D

I'll stop bitching and leave the decisions to the people that make them.

Wild Cheetah 612
May 2nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
It's not a function of new guy opinion vs. old guy opinion Casey, don't take it so personally. We've just been using the same trophies for YEARS and it was time to mix it up. It's difficult for me to tell one season from the next when all the trophies are the same. I personally enjoy a little variety.

Well said.
You and the other fast youngsters are going to start winning a lot and one day you'll understand how these old fast guys are feeling now.

Lel399
May 2nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
It's not a function of new guy opinion vs. old guy opinion Casey, don't take it so personally. We've just been using the same trophies for YEARS and it was time to mix it up.

I really dont think we have had them for years. I think maybe they were used a few times... but not at each race, or maybe just for RoR. I know for 100% that justin has 2 plaques for first place race 1 2005 for amu and mwss.

Bart and Mike who have been around years thought they have only been around for 2 years.

Although there is a certain logic behind the opinon that 'the guys that are winning the trophies want something new', I think it is abosolutely disrespectful; and furthers the stigma that the MRA is known for... ie the 'Good ole' boy club'

I also think its a slap in the face that its thought to be 'immature' or that the 'newer guys will get there'.. or that the crystal trophy is more 'mature' than the racing trophy. The generalization of immature riders want the racing trophy is well.. plainly a load of crap.

The way the poll is at this point is that 61% of the people that voted do not want the crystals for first place. That opinion should carry some weight vs that of 'the guys that win all the tim'; as immature as it may be.

Mark Schellinger
May 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
Jason

Don't pop a blood vessel.

It's just a trophy.
If it's for a first place finish it says "First Place".
Whats the big deal.

Over the years I have received many different styles of trophies.
They don't mean any more or less because they look different.

It's OK !!!!

my fifty cent

Lel399
May 2nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
lol hey sometimes i get a wild hair up my ass... :twisted:

a lot of people told me they preferred the pewter man and it happend to be my opinion too! thats the fun part of the forum :) lol

lel

cosp600rr
May 2nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
All I have to say is for the first time my trophy gets to be displayed in the living room instead of in the back room. My wife said it was nice and it could be put in plain view.

dragos13
May 2nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
Well from what I have been reading, the fast guys like the change. They either have too many MEN and dont know what to do with them, or they basically could care less and just figure its easier to stay with the crystals. I mean, the crystals should pack up easier to sit in those boxes in the garage. I think if you dont display them to the public, it should make no difference which trophy is given.

Then you have the racers that don't podium every weekend. They have a thought in the back of their heads that one day the MAN will be theirs. Its like a symbol of acheivement. They REALLY REALLY REALLY want the 1st place trophy to be the MAN. It would be displayed with pride in the living room or whatever. Obviously it means more to the people who actually "display" their awards.

Why not listen to the group that really cares. Sure they are hard to store in the garage. Maybe they aren't "mature" enough for everyone but atleast they get noticed for what they are: a MOTORCYCLE ROADRACING trophy.

cosp600rr
May 2nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
I hope you are not putting me into that fast guys that have lots of them. I only have 1 1st 2 3rds and a 2nd. I also display them. If my wife would let me put the man in the living room I would but thats not the case.

Wild Cheetah 612
May 2nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Guys,

I meant no offense nor did I mean to imply you youngsters are immature. You young guys and ladies are the future of racing and this club. We want you here, you are important, and your opinion matters.

Being fast and having a lot of trophies doesn't mean you don't care. Our garage is full of trophies proudly displayed. They are not in the garage for lack of pride, but for lack of room. Our living room is entirely dedicated to motorcycles (don't you wish your wife was so cool?). I have tire tracks on one wall where the end of season trophies hang. A huge trophy case full of "men" (only like four are mine) and plaques is part of the centerpiece of the room. Walls covered with race photos by Wieland, Margaret and others carefully framed and evenly hung. The room is a shrine for God's sake!
Turpin's house is covered with even more racing trophies displayed with the esteem they deserve.

I am doing my best to serve the members of this club. And yes, if I give a little more weight on this issue to those who have been around longer, paid their dues through time and service to the club, and accomplished a great deal in their racing efforts, then I'll take the heat for that. It's not a "good old boys" thing. It's a way to honor these gentlemen.

And in the end, it's not what anyone else thinks or notices about me and/or my accomplishments. It's what I think.

Jon
May 2nd, 2008, 06:29 PM
With regards to trophies, how cool they are or aren't, a little something that some clubs have on top of the various trophies are year end cash rewards. For instance, in the CCS Southwest various class sponsors pay the top three a sum of cash, in my primary class Supertwins, if I win, I'll get $500, second gets $300 and third $200. Pretty neat really. If we wanted to forget the trophies and the trophy or class sponsors just pay a cash prize that might go further. Presently, the price of trophy sponsorship's $700 for another $300 we could go this route. Thoughts?

cosp600rr
May 2nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
I personally like the trophies. They will stay with me forever but the money will be spent on something I will probably forget about.

turbohoje
May 5th, 2008, 11:19 PM
besides up front purchase cost, is there any other considerations to make for the trophies?

such as: a plaque or pewter man, if not claimed, could be recycled and save the club some money. i believe the printed face plate could come off. though i have not seen one, i imagine the crystals are CNC etched and are in no way re-usable.

i dont typically keep my trophies unless have some greatly significant sentimental value to them (i'll autograph and give to sponsors or mom). i accumulated quite a few regular style trophies in the garage (motocross style), but they just collected dust and i ended up tossing them. it seems way easier to me to display plaques on the wall.

the other benefit of the plaque, is they can be stacked to go under the tongue lift or wheels to help level the trailer.

bluedevil
May 6th, 2008, 07:39 AM
i dont typically keep my trophies unless have some greatly significant sentimental value to them (i'll autograph and give to sponsors or mom). i accumulated quite a few regular style trophies in the garage (motocross style), but they just collected dust and i ended up tossing them. it seems way easier to me to display plaques on the wall.

the other benefit of the plaque, is they can be stacked to go under the tongue lift or wheels to help level the trailer.

[-X

dragos13
May 6th, 2008, 09:52 AM
So nearly 2/3 of the votes want something different, and many of those want it to be the Pewter Guy. Any chance this is going to be considered? I mean, you said us 'youngsters' are the future of the club.

I also agree that plaques are easier to display. Hang them up on the wall or something. Maybe we should do plaques for 1st 2nd and 3rd. Atleast then there would be a reason to display that stuff, as people could actually notice.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii206/dragosracer/trophy.jpg

And yea, thats a third place "crystal" on the mantel

Wild Cheetah 612
May 6th, 2008, 11:49 AM
You could look at the results as that 52% as of right now like the crystals but some would like something a little different for 1st. I am currently looking into something different for 1st.

Let's work with what we have for now and look into changing in a year or two.

I have found a different area in my house to display the crystals away from the plaques and pewters. Just gotta use your decorating skills, Casey. I will personally buy you a "man" with your next 1st place win, Casey.
And, hey, If I didn't want you opinion on this topic, I would have never asked for it last week on the forums. Doesn't mean things will change for this year, but I like to know what's going on.

dragos13
May 6th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Sweet, so once I can actually win a race I'll get two Pewter Men. :D :D :D

I really appreciate you listening to all my bitching Donna, and I'm sure you will find something even better for the first place win. Sorry for being a PITA, I will stop posting and let the thread die now. Hope to see everyone on Sunday in Pueblo!!!!

Wild Cheetah 612
May 6th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Wait, Casey! One more post!
Check out this lame "unmotorcyclelike" tiny POS end of season trophy Otis got from the AMA...
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/wcr612/IMG00090.jpg

It's his most prized trophy!
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/wcr612/_DeviceMemory_home_user_pictures_IM.jpg

In case you can't read it, it says
Dan Turner
1994 Superbike
Rookie of the Year

Does size REALLY matter? Ask any woman in at least her mid 30s and she'll say, "Only a little bit."

dragos13
May 6th, 2008, 05:56 PM
You just had to keep this going, Donna :twisted:

I think that trophy looks pretty cool. I guess you are right, its not the size or shape that matters, its what it means to ME. I'm sure that why Otis loves that one, its AMA stuff.

I guess my only problem was all last year all I wanted was the Pewter Guy, mainly cuz it represented a first place victory. This year I was thinking maybe I had a chance to win one, and BAM they are changed. No big deal what you decide, if you would find something just a little bigger for first I think everyone would be happy.

Or, how about we do the Pewter Man for first place Amateur and Novice races? That way everyone will be happy :D

DingleBerns
May 6th, 2008, 05:57 PM
she'll say, "it's how you use it!"

Fixed that for you Donna! :wink:

Wild Cheetah 612
May 6th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Or, how about we do the Pewter Man for first place Amateur and Novice races? That way everyone will be happy :D
Casey, you're brilliant! I can do that! There you go, instead of living in the problem, you live in the solution and come up with a very workable idea.
For the rest of you, I will have something a little larger for 1st place along the same lines as the crystals.

Cool, you youngins out there?

Wild Cheetah 612
May 6th, 2008, 06:10 PM
she'll say, "it's how you use it!"

Fixed that for you Donna! :wink:

This'll be TMI, so turn your children's eyes, but Dingle, I used to think that whole heartedly until one night, not long after my divorce and before I found Otis, when I realized that size does play supporting role in certain ventures. I mean, c'mon...the size of a lighter?

dragos13
May 7th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Casey, you're brilliant! I can do that! There you go, instead of living in the problem, you live in the solution and come up with a very workable idea.
For the rest of you, I will have something a little larger for 1st place along the same lines as the crystals.

Cool, you youngins out there?

Donna thanks so much for putting up with me and listening. I just hope everyone else is happy that way I dont get hunted down in practice for being the guy that took away the crystals from novice and Amateur lol.

hcr25
May 7th, 2008, 09:43 AM
was the digital camera you took that picture with new in 1994 or what. :?:

Slider
May 7th, 2008, 09:51 AM

Cool, you youngins out there? :D :D

Wild Cheetah 612
May 7th, 2008, 11:37 AM
was the digital camera you took that picture with new in 1994 or what. :?:
Just my cell phone and my shaky little hand

DingleBerns
May 27th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I'd have to say after this weekend, I really like the crystals, over the plaques, as they are easier to display, and they look professional. Knowing what I placed means more to me, and the crystals are just the icing on the cake. Thanks Donna!

Dingle

Wild Cheetah 612
May 27th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Thank you, Derek! You deserve them after the way you rode this past weekend!

Y'all out there like the new 1st place crystals?

Clarkie
May 27th, 2008, 08:45 AM
kick ass Donna!