PDA

View Full Version : If you donate at a Bonfils building...

chrobis
April 12th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I brought this up at the February meeting, but it keeps slipping my mind until donation day.

I donate platelets on a regular basis at Bonfils, and every time they ask me if I am donating for a group. I would like to, and I would like that group be the MRA. All this does is get some recognition for the group on Bonfils quarterly and annual lists - there is no benefit come time when you might need blood products.

Is anybody else interested in doing this, and if so what would you like the group to be called? This is just for folks who go to a permanent Bonfils location - if you donate at a mobile Bonfils drive, the group is predefined by the organization that has invited Bonfils.

My suggestion would be: Motorcycle Roadracing Association (MRA)

but I am open to others, and there may be legal requirements as to how we promote ourselves. (Board members ?)

I have made contact with Bonfils, and would be happy to see this through.

For more information on donating blood products, visit http://www.bonfils.org. It's easy, and much less painful than crashing (I kinda wish I didn't know that last part, but... :oops: ).

rforsythe
April 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM
The timing of this thread is tragically appropriate as well.

Yesterday, a member of the CSC northern group was involved in a single-bike accident. I don't know specifics on injuries or what caused the accident, except that people I've spoken to have said this guy was a safe, dedicated rider, and the accident was likely just a horrible turn of events.

Randy (the rider) lost control somehow and ended up head on into a telephone pole. You've all seen pictures of cars wrapped around trees, and the bike was in similar condition. Unfortunately Randy's injuries were very severe, and this morning he passed away in a Ft Collins hospital.

During the course of Randy's treatment, the doctors used over 100 units of blood - basically depleting a good portion of the blood supply for many surrounding hospitals in the area.

This Wednesday, we are asking everyone to visit a Bonfil's center and donate blood - any type, any location - to help replenish what was used this weekend. You can go up north if you like, but anywhere around the area will be helpful as I'm sure they can move it around to some degree to restock.

Nothing is going to bring Randy back, but hopefully many of you will do what's needed and donate! Take the time off work, and go help the local riding community possibly save some else's life.

chrobis
April 23rd, 2008, 08:49 PM
I have created a group for which we can donate; since Ralph's was the only reply, and since this has a much better ring to it, the group name is:

RACING 2 SAVE LIVES

To repeat myself, this is only for donations made at permanent Bonfils locations. They don't care if it's whole blood, plasma, or platelets. Give what you can.

rybo
April 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
I give once a month, and will start using the group name. Thanks for setting this up!

Scott