PDA

View Full Version : World SBK - Spoiler Inside

d_mob
April 7th, 2008, 09:02 AM
So as everyone probably saw, there was a HUGE upset as Checa's boneheaded ass took out Neukirchner on the last turn of the last lap...

I was just curious as this is my first season racing with the MRA, has this ever happened to anyone in the group? I'd be curious to hear some stories...

cu260r6
April 7th, 2008, 09:44 AM
That's a bit of a spoiler for those that haven't seen the race, so you might want to edit your title.

Once Checa committed to going up the inside he was way too fast to make the pass and the apex. He should have just run a bit wide and accepted Max would square the turn off behind him and beat him to the finish.

It does happen occasionally in club racing, but since none of us are fighting for our first WSKB win and we have to repair our own bikes it's not common.

DingleBerns
April 7th, 2008, 09:57 AM
First race day, last race of the day, AM O. I got taken out that same way. I was dipping into turn two and bam! Obviously we weren't fighting for a win but I guess this white plate expert didn't want me ahead of him. He stayed up and kept going. He pitted right next to me that weekend, and never said a word to me after the fact. I know that's part of racing and I can deal with that, but maybe a "sorry" or "I came in way too hot, my bad" would have been nice.....but I got nothing....wait I take that back, a couple of laughs...

bluedevil
April 7th, 2008, 10:28 AM
:shock: Oh it happens... it happens often... even in club racing....

I can think of a few that I will not discuss on an open forum...... :wink:

none the less.... When Neukirchner finally got his leg out from under that Gixx..He should have beat the hell out of Checa....... (Oh wait he couldnt Checa got up and still finished the race in 5th) Im sure it will be about another 2 seconds before someone posts up the infamous catch all way out of accepting responcibility for being an idiot phrase "Thats Racing" :roll:

Hell I can remember in 2006 a$$-ending James W. at Miller in T2...... Though I didnt take him out, I had the respect enough to apologize to him after the race..... and several times over the last couple years... Though now its a funny story to tell between us...it was my mistake.

d_mob
April 7th, 2008, 10:39 AM
first off, title has been changed. sorry to those that hadn't seen the race...

second, interesting stuff in the responses. the funny thing is that everyone agrees that checa totally took him out, but noone really said anything negative regarding the move on TV or online (except for neukirchner himself)! in fact, what's his face announcer was even defending the move saying that checa had committed to the line and that it didn't actually cause the accident.

you can clearly see neukirchner brake as soon as he sees checa out of his peripheral and can also clearly see checa's lowsiding bike sliding into the other bike, which seemed to cause the entire accident.

alas, i'll just hope that this doesn't ever happen to me. even though "that's racing"...

bluedevil
April 7th, 2008, 10:47 AM
(except for neukirchner himself)!

Link?

in fact, what's his face announcer was even defending the move saying that checa had committed to the line and that it didn't actually cause the accident.

Yeah that was a dumb thing to say.... They tried that when Biaggi took Haga out... (3 times ago) haha They tried to say it was Haga's fault for not letting him through and closing the door.... hahah

even though "that's racing"...
:shock: :lol:

Oh no you didnt....haha

glenngsxr
April 7th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I remember when my good man Zach got traberted last year. glenn #62

Scored51
April 7th, 2008, 11:05 AM
...and wasn't it Trabert who took out Donny H. at Hastings last lap, last corner?

glenngsxr
April 7th, 2008, 11:34 AM
yes. That's why i have coined the term "traberted".

Traberted-verb, (tray-burt-ed)-to take someone out in an untimely and unfashionable manner.

BTW, this is all in good fun so if anyone gets butthurt about this I will get them a phone book and they can call someone who cares. In all seriousness though, it happens. Nobody intentionally wants to punt someone off the track. Sometimes we all ride over our heads. Some get lucky and others don't. Glenn #62

froth
April 7th, 2008, 11:35 AM
C. Weed ran into me in 7 at Pueblo one time, neither of us went down, and it was because of my strange lines, and checking up at the wrong time. He recovered in front of me, and made sure I was okay, while apologizing profusely through his helmet. no harm on that one.

d_mob
April 7th, 2008, 12:13 PM
(except for neukirchner himself)!

Link?

look towards the bottom for n-kirch's comments...

http://www.suzuki-racing.com/news_page.aspx?OBJ_ID=12509

Max Neukirchner - Race 1: DNF, Race 2: DNS:

"I am more than disappointed. I could almost see the chequered flag when suddenly I was hit by Checa. He tried to dive up the inside of me in the last corner, but I don't think there was enough room for him to do what he did and we both crashed. I broke my collarbone but, to make matters worse, he was able to get back on his bike and score some points. My weekend had gone perfectly up to that moment. I had been consistently fast and I had felt very comfortable on the bike. There was no problem for me leading the race, the only problem all weekend was what happened in the last corner."

Tumbleweed
April 7th, 2008, 12:50 PM
C. Weed ran into me in 7 at Pueblo one time, neither of us went down, and it was because of my strange lines, and checking up at the wrong time. He recovered in front of me, and made sure I was okay, while apologizing profusely through his helmet. no harm on that one.

Yes I did hit you in 7 and yes that was one weird line :lol: .

Sometimes bumping somebody can't be avoided. Especially when you get faster. Hoopty and I had a hell of a bumping battle at Hastings last season. I believe we hit about 6 times throughout the AO race. Including me hitting his back tire with my front tire on the last lap in the Turn 3 kink. Luckily we didn't go down but I lost two positions because of it. You can also ask Muldoon about me running him off the track at pueblo in turn 8 at the first race weekend of the season. He had an amazing save and he caught it on video and posted it on his myspace. I even had a guy highside himself in the start of MWSB at hastings in turn 2 of the first lap. He left a tire mark from my shoulder all the way down my leg and cracked my tail section and somehow I didn't crash and continued in the race.

So to answer your questing bumping and taking eachother out happens all the time. I don't know of anybody ever doing it on purpose in the MRA while I have been racing but it still happens. So ride smart and be prepared for anything and you should do just fine :D

And that was just in 1 season for me. Those are only the really close calls. There were more that I can't quite remember. Boy I love racing. When does this sh!t start again. Oh yeah, less than 3 weeks. =P~

bluedevil
April 7th, 2008, 01:43 PM

Yes I did hit you in 7 and yes that was one weird line :lol: .

Sometimes bumping somebody can't be avoided. Especially when you get faster. Hoopty and I had a hell of a bumping battle at Hastings last season. I believe we hit about 6 times throughout the AO race. Including me hitting his back tire with my front tire on the last lap in the Turn 3 kink. Luckily we didn't go down but I lost two positions because of it. You can also ask Muldoon about me running him off the track at pueblo in turn 8 at the first race weekend of the season. He had an amazing save and he caught it on video and posted it on his myspace. I even had a guy highside himself in the start of MWSB at hastings in turn 2 of the first lap. He left a tire mark from my shoulder all the way down my leg and cracked my tail section and somehow I didn't crash and continued in the race.

So to answer your questing bumping and taking eachother out happens all the time. I don't know of anybody ever doing it on purpose in the MRA while I have been racing but it still happens. So ride smart and be prepared for anything and you should do just fine :D

And that was just in 1 season for me. Those are only the really close calls. There were more that I can't quite remember. Boy I love racing. When does this sh!t start again. Oh yeah, less than 3 weeks. =P~

Careful Carlson will create a verb about you soon: "Weeded" (verb) meaning to be unexpectingly bumped from a "wierd line". or to be weeded from the competition.

Wait thats not right.... Did that come out right..... Dood you got Weeded... HAHA

OMG I cant stop laughing.....

Tumbleweed
April 7th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Weeded :lol:

glenngsxr
April 7th, 2008, 03:07 PM
"Eaded"--verb--one who has already been weeded. ha, now that's funny. Glenn #62

Jon
April 7th, 2008, 04:12 PM
In club racing if someone rams you, takes you out or Etc. You are owed an apology. I find that often that doesn't happen and the offending rider continues to be an unsafe rider. Not that I've ever narked on someone but remember a certain rider after being blackflagged and frustrated, showing no sign of actually seeing the blackflag then he decided to turn right in front of me from the outside of the track and I almost collected him. How close? A couple inches maybe, I was livid.
These situations should be looked at but first they must be brought to someones attention. I believe that this should be looked at at a case by case basis. Thoughts?

gixxermike
April 7th, 2008, 04:36 PM
These situations should be looked at but first they must be brought to someones attention. I believe that this should be looked at at a case by case basis. Thoughts?

Agreed they should be, granted we can protest them and their actions, but habitual offenders, oh like say protested 3 times in 3 consecutive race weekends need stiff actions taken ie...suspensions. I still have problems from an elbow fracture from the last race weekend last year from an "unsafe rider" per say.

dave.gallant
April 7th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I know accidents happen, and it often hurts.

But the next time someone points out "rubbin' is racing'", I think we all should take a step back and keep in mind that we all have to go to work on Monday.

Please, please, please don't hurt anyone to win a $5 trophy. Ride hard, but ride smart.

dragos13
April 7th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I made a stupid decision last year, race 1 NovO. I was all pumped up and in-experienced. Tried to pass a GSXR 1000 on my 99 R6 between turns 6a and 6b. Well, he shut me down, I crashed and he managed to stay up. Right after they cleared the field, I went over to his pit to appologize (hadn't even dropped off my busted bike at my pit yet). Well, he treated me like shit, like I didn't know anything, which I was admitting to. Regardless, I gave him no respect after that. Life went on, I kept racing, and learned alot about safe passing and what can happen when you ride over your ability. Needless to say, there is a time and place to get aggressive, its still on the passer to make the safe pass.

dave.gallant
April 7th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I made a stupid decision last year, race 1 NovO. I was all pumped up and in-experienced. Tried to pass a GSXR 1000 on my 99 R6 between turns 6a and 6b. Well, he shut me down, I crashed and he managed to stay up. Right after they cleared the field, I went over to his pit to appologize (hadn't even dropped off my busted bike at my pit yet). Well, he treated me like shit, like I didn't know anything, which I was admitting to. Regardless, I gave him no respect after that. Life went on, I kept racing, and learned alot about safe passing and riding in over your head.

This is actually a pretty common story line.

The real question is this:

Knowing now what you didn't know then, how could you have convinced yourself you take it easy instead of giving in to the red mist?

Learning things "the hard way" in our sport hurts like hell (or at least is expensive as it).

gixxermike
April 7th, 2008, 05:20 PM
But the next time someone points out "rubbin' is racing'", I think we all should take a step back and keep in mind that we all have to go to work on Monday.

Nicely put Dave but how can we convince everyone of that

froth
April 8th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Dittos Dave: We're all here for a lot of the same reasons, and some different ones. I am out to have as much fun as I can while learning about max performing a road race motorcycle without the inconvenience of a little old lady in a Buick helping me to learn about orthopedics. While I'm old enough to know I won't whip Clarkie, Dingle, Brownie, et al, I'm still young enough to laugh with all the fun.
If someone does something that puts you at more danger than we do on our own, talk to your rider reps. I've talked with all of them over the last few years, and they will help your case. Some have different methods, so you can't just say "Fred ran me off course, kill him." Explain what you feel went on, and follow up with them. They are people too, and can use the help just like anyone.

Just my .o2 worth.

Tumbleweed, I really apreciated your checking on me after our contact. Makes me more glad you're coming back! Plus your wife and friends are about the funniest ladies talking/cheering through 7. Laughter keeps this whole orb spinning!

Tumbleweed
April 8th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks Fred. I definitely felt bad about that one. I didn't want to go up the inside of you and spoke you so I figured I would take the long way around and do it as safe as possible. Of course that didn't work out too well. But luckily we saved it. Wherever my bodywork is now it still has a little piece of your bike to remember it by. :D I didn't want to look back at first cause I thought for sure you went down. But when I turned around I was happy to see you upright and waving at me to stop worrying about you and get on with the race. I appreciate the good sportsmanship from you in that situation. Have I already said I can't wait for this season to start. 8)

froth
April 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM
You may have mentioned it, just in passing, once, maybe, when you were drunk!

Are you racing heavyweight endurance this year??? I'll be stepping up for that one, so you can have more (strange) passing practice! CU there!

Tumbleweed
April 8th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I can not disclose that information. You will see soon enough. 8)

froth
April 8th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Please: I'll even try to take a relatively normal line in EVERY turn! I promise (and I'll feed the dog, clean the kitty box, do my homework, wait, crap, I've turned into my kids!)

Tumbleweed
April 8th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I plead the fifth.

You mention feeding the dog but what about the mess he makes after you feed him.