PDA

View Full Version : Track condition...

DingleBerns
March 22nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Just wondering how the track, specifically T10, was today during the school. Anything else new around the track that we need to look for?

Dingle

EdDuenez
March 22nd, 2008, 11:59 PM
Donna, She is the one knows

phildrummond
March 23rd, 2008, 11:27 AM
After 2 hours of trying to make a smooth line through it with cones...well, just tip toe through it. I was not a fan. The exit will make you pucker every time. I liked it much better before.

DingleBerns
March 23rd, 2008, 11:52 AM
I guess we will see tomorrow, as brownie said, its the same for everyone else so we just have to suck it up and grow some balls!

Moto-Mania
March 23rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
I guess we will see tomorrow, as brownie said, its the same for everyone else so we just have to suck it up and grow some balls!

We'll be expecting a full report tomorrow, Bernsie, with pics.

dave.gallant
March 23rd, 2008, 12:23 PM
we just have to suck it up and grow some balls!

That is exactly how and why people get hurt. If you make it past a few seasons of this Derek, you will find we don't have to prove anything to anyone regarding the risks we are willing to take.

If the track is unsafe, say so.

If the track is safe, just less than optimal, say so.

Personally, bumps are the norm for Colorado; It is concrete walls that concern me. Hopefully they will not be an issue.

DingleBerns
March 23rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
Yes Dave, a track day is not a place to practice that but a race situation is a different story... I was looking at it from a race day point of view.

Clarkie
March 23rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
we just have to suck it up and grow some balls!

That is exactly how and why people get hurt. If you make it past a few seasons of this Derek, you will find we don't have to prove anything to anyone regarding the risks we are willing to take.

come on now Dave, Dingle hangs with the tough guys, you have to talk the talk even if you cant walk the walk :lol:

DingleBerns
March 23rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
Yep you got it clarkie, I suck at racing...

dave.gallant
March 23rd, 2008, 04:48 PM
Yes Dave, a track day is not a place to practice that but a race situation is a different story... I was looking at it from a race day point of view.

I don't get it.

Your life is worth less during a race than during a practice day?

DingleBerns
March 23rd, 2008, 04:55 PM
Its not about the cost of life...do you push as hard during practice at race pace? Probably not. That's what I'm talking about. Things are different during practice and race day...

Clarkie
March 23rd, 2008, 05:02 PM

never said that Dingle, it's bad form to put words in another persons mouth :wink:

tell me, you have how many years racing?
how many bones have you broken racing?
how many times have you hit a wall or tire barrier?

when you spend a few more years racing you will learn that self preservation is very high on a lot of racer's list. Saying someone should "grow a set of balls and suck it up" is insulting to those people that have been seriously injured on the track and as a result choose to ride/race at their own pace.

Just remember we all ride for different reasons Dingle, and I can guarantee you will be surprised at how different each racer's reasons can be :wink:

dave.gallant
March 23rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
Its not about the cost of life...do you push as hard during practice at race pace? Probably not. That's what I'm talking about. Things are different during practice and race day...

That is exactly what I referring to.

I do push as hard in practice as I do in the race. I know how fast I am able to go before the green flag drops, and I know before hand what kind of chances I am willing to take.

If you are doing things that are new to you during a "heated" battle, chances are higher you are going to make more mistakes. I don't like seeing our racers get hurt, and you will find that the top racers in the club don't like being told which risks they are going to take "because everyone else is".

Yes, we will all man-up and ride the bumpy tracks. But, there is a big difference between sucking it up and taking chances you are not personally comfortable with.

Side Note: I am always very pleased when the MRA Board consults with the fastest riders in the club when assessing a track condition. Timmay!, Mark, Glenn, Tony, Jimbo have always been good about this.

DingleBerns
March 23rd, 2008, 05:10 PM
You stated that I can't walk the walk, which means I can't ride. That's what I gathered from your statement....and any reasonably intelligent person, I feel, would view that statement the same way.

6 months racing
0 bones
0 tires/walls

If I insulted anyone viewing this forum please call me at 303-667-5859 so I can personally apologize to you....

Dingle

phildrummond
March 23rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Some details about T10 we saw working corners on Saturday...It's slower and more of a 90-degree than before. Late turn-in should treat you best. It will push you to the outside and you'll be at the edge much sooner than before. The hard accelertion comes when you're on the concrete so the back will step out and the big bikes spun it up at 50% power. It's a slower start to a longer straight.

We set cones a few different ways and had MRA instructors running the different lines. No one loved it but only one guy went off in T10. I'm not sure how it will be without MRA there on Monday to set cones.

Walk it before riding it. No air fence on open track days...

marty
March 23rd, 2008, 07:42 PM
i'll be down there tomorrow and i have some cones i ways gonna bring. i'll try to remember to bring my camera and throw some pix up tomorrow night. is the curbing set up on t10 to reference the cones or should i just set them beside the fresh asphalt?

phildrummond
March 23rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
We laid cones down and put yellow chalk marks where the ends were. The inside-most marks are what we wound up using. Not sure if the marks are still there or if they got scrubbed off today. Should I bring a broom. The new pavement can get gravelly in spots.

No curbing yet.

polar x
March 23rd, 2008, 08:00 PM
Set them by the asphalt. Its pretty easy when you see it.

The only person who went off just barely blew the corner and then plowed the front in the dirt. No damage to him or the bike other than scuffed paint.

The corner got better with heat is what I heard. But it now requires more air fence to cover. The biggest thing I noticed was if you blow the corner you have less room to spare before going off in the dirt which is rough as heck right now. AND if you run wide on the exit and fall off the track it is a BIG drop till the burn out trap. It wont be a fun ride. But they are not done with the dirt I think....

Clarkie
March 23rd, 2008, 08:08 PM
You stated that I can't walk the walk, which means I can't ride. That's what I gathered from your statement....and any reasonably intelligent person, I feel, would view that statement the same way.

nah, I was referring to talking tough, not racing ;)

i have hit many unprotected walls and tire barriers, i have also hit airfence, slid under improperly installed airfence and even caught a footpeg on airfence which dragged me down.

I have also broken my back in 4 places after hitting a tire wall at Loudon in 2004, it sucked but many others that have hit walls at Loudon are in wheelchairs so I count myself lucky.

As someone that has ridden and been hurt badly on the track I am insulted but your 'grow a set of balls and suck it up' comment, i will NOT suck it up and ride like that on a track without thinking about the consequences of what can happen. I can also guarantee you that I will push a lot hard than you will ever think is possible after 1 year of racing.

Derek your enthusiasm for the sport of Road Racing and the MRA is awesome and I applaud you on that, but a lot of your comments are uninformed, inexperienced and lack maturity. You are trying to preach a certain way of thinking to a lot of people who have seen and felt a lot of hurt from people riding with reckless abandon.

motobum
March 23rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
Some details about T10 we saw working corners on Saturday...It's slower and more of a 90-degree than before. Late turn-in should treat you best. It will push you to the outside and you'll be at the edge much sooner than before. The hard accelertion comes when you're on the concrete so the back will step out and the big bikes spun it up at 50% power. It's a slower start to a longer straight.

i am dieing to see pictures! (im pretty much scaried shitless)

did they move the concrete barriers to the edge of the track along the front straight?

do you feel like it is a better alternative to the old style t10?

fairrpe86
March 23rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
From watching riders going through T10 both from pregrid and from the outside of the turn, rear ends were sliding like no other when they hit the concrete, but that seemed to get better as the day went on. Talking to a few instructors, they were saying in the morning it was slick enough that they were bouncing off their rev limiters and not really going anywhere. The new pavement was not feathered to be level with the old pavement of pregrid therefore there is a drop off from the track back to the old stuff. Just some observations from a corner worker

froth
March 24th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I knew not building a superbike motor was a good idea! So. My old SV will hook up better due to a paucity of ponies, while those with 100 and more get to make like J-Brown speedwaying, only to the right! Cool! Looks like I'll make up at least .3 of the eight or so seconds I keep giving up each lap. Look out mid pack! Here I come!

Seriously, I'm looking forward to seeing it Monday, and figuring out how to deal with it!

glenngsxr
March 24th, 2008, 06:30 AM
So they repaved from the exit of nine to turn ten, correct? Seems to me they should have just repaved ten altogether and left the straight in between 9 and 10 alone. I just have this weird feeling that this is going to be more ridiculous than it was before. And yes, I can speak from experience cause I hit that wall after turn ten on lap 1, race 1 last year. It hurt. It's also safe to say that watching Clarkie go through there makes me want to quit racing. Scary stuff. Basically all we have done now is make turn ten a highside corner instead of a lowside corner. Oh well. I hope we all can grow a set of balls and speak up more about safety. glenn #62

DingleBerns
March 24th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Yes clarkie obviously you will push harder than I could have imagined last year, I've only been on a bike for a year without any prior experience and I still have shit tons to learn...

I never said or implied that one had to ride reckless, unless suck it up and grow some balls means otherwise in your native country...

Again my number is 3036675859 for those I have offended, and call me anytime time clarkie before 10pm so I can apologize to you specifically.

Clarkie
March 24th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I never said or implied that one had to ride reckless, unless suck it up and grow some balls means otherwise in your native country...

yup, thats what it means in every country I have raced in ;)

It's all good Dingle, but just take notice of how many of us old farts limp around the pits, crashing hurts, it hurts more when you get old like me. I used to bounce well when I was young like you, now it's just more of a thud :D

There are corners at some tracks in this country (I have probably only raced/ridden at about 60% of the tracks in the US) where you can only ride at 80%, sure like Brownie said they are the same for everyone but 90% of people will ride at 80% just to get through that corner safely. All it takes is that 1 person to try and go into a corner balls to the wall because they are trying to 'suck it up and grow a set of balls' for bad things to happen.

A classic example is the last turn at Hastings, it is a very safe corner but most people know that it's not a 'win it or bin it' corner, unfortunately it is the same corner where Donnie Hough and Dan Turner ended up getting hurt really badly because of another riders mistake. That turn is also a great place to pass someone............. if done correctly.

I dont care who will say otherwise, but to me T10 at Pueblo will always be a corner where you just get through cleanly, now there is a good chance you will see more passing going into it but the more experienced riders will wait until the time is right. The old T10 config also had a great place to pass someone but it was very sketchy at best, I bet if you asked the top 5 ROR-U/O riders if there was a time they could have stuffed someone going into T10 they will all say sure, there were lots of times, but it wasnt worth it.

Reading a corner is a skill you will learn with time, it's like reading a wave when you are surfing, you have to pick your wave and decide when you want to drop in

The GECCO
March 24th, 2008, 09:31 AM
The old T10 config also had a great place to pass someone but it was very sketchy at best, I bet if you asked the top 5 ROR-U/O riders if there was a time they could have stuffed someone going into T10 they will all say sure, there were lots of times, but it wasnt worth it.

This is true....any turn with a big radius and not a lot of heavy braking going in is gonna be a sketchy place to pass because you have to beat someone pretty badly to take the spot away. Just getting inside of them isn't enough the way it is in a hard braking zone leading to a turn with a very specific apex. I have passed a lot of lappers going into T10, but I can't recall that I've ever made a pass for position there.

My take on the new Turn 10:

Overall, I like it. The new pavement is very good, though there is a bit of a "dip" in the new pavement in the exit. It's gentle enough that I never noticed it when I was on the bike, I realized it was there later when I watched other bikes going through the turn.

The exit of the turn is rather slick. By the time you are hard on the gas you are leaving the new pavement and going across the burnout boxes for the drag strip, this is the slick part. For the most part you are riding across a layer of rubber, you are not touching the concrete that is under the rubber. This was obscenely slick in the morning, but it was also very cold. The rubber on the ground is hard when it's cold, almost like plastic, and doesn't offer much grip. It got much better after the sun had been on it for a while. It may be an issue in the mornings at our first race, but my opinion is that once summer time temps come around it won't be an issue. Once that rubber gets warm and soft it will offer a lot of grip.

The entrance is deceptively narrow. The light pole and the tires/armco/airfence protecting it is immediately off the left side of the track in the braking zone, and fills your field of vision as you approach. Impacting this obstacle will not be an issue in a "typical" crash (because by the time you lose the front end you should already be turning in), but I worry that if two riders tangle in the braking zone the outside rider could get punted into that area. That light pole will have to be moved as soon as funds allow, and I will petition the Colorado Motorsports Council to see about allocating some of their funds to do something.

The impact zone is ugly right now, just bare dirt that is a bit lower than the racing surface. This will be filled in with 12"-18" of pea gravel to make a proper gravel trap.

dave.gallant
March 24th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the details Glenn.

I never thought about that light pole being an issue, but I know the one you are talking about and now have a better idea how things were moved around down there.

What is your take on the concrete retaining wall? We used to get our drives somewhat parallel to it - are we now getting more of a drive towards the face of it?

The GECCO
March 24th, 2008, 10:08 AM
The south end of the wall angles to the west, that's where we have traditionally used airfence (and still will). With the old configuration you were pointed rather directly at that section when the bike was still most likely to lowside, and Mr Newton's First Law of Motion would carry you directly into it at a rather severe angle.

With the new configuration the angle of incidence isn't as severe, and you are hard on the gas as you approach so you would have to highside rather spectacularly to get there. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think that at that point your forward momentum is more likely to carry you along the track than out into the wall, because you already have all your turning done and are pointed north for the most part.

Here's a satellite pic I found with some of my mad microsoft paint skills:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/TheGECCO/Newturn10.jpg

Red Line - Old Race Line
Blue Line - New Race Line
Yellow Line - Wall/tires (you can see the black tires next to the yellow line)
Orange Dots - Old fence/tires
Green Line - New fence

The dark line next to the purple line is the tires/armco protecting the light pole

Throttleroller277
March 24th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I have had a few PM's and calls asking my opinion on this turn since Saturday, so I will just post up here......

What Glen said Pretty much sums it up. As he said the old drag pavement was what was slick, not the new. And once it warmed up a little, the grip improved. The tire was still spinning, but I was no longer having to "Speedway" it out of there. The new pavement was good, even in the morning when it was pretty cold, I was able to get my knee on the ground without any issues.

First thing in the morning myself and some of the other instructors went out, and changed the cone configurations around a few time, in order to find the best/safest way through there.

Just my 2 cents... 8)

T Baggins
March 24th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I didn't ride it, so I'm not "sold" either way yet.

A bona-fide gravel trap would help considerably with the run-off. The light pole is a concern for sure.

The first person to crash in that turn deserves to have it named after him - just as the Rat's nest was named after Jim "Ratt" Sonnelitner. So, that turn is now called "The Can" . Can't remember the guys actual name, but it was greek and started with "Kan..."

On another safety concern - Bob's Berm...

Someone please convince me that it is an improvement. The berm hasn't been sufficiently moved back from the racing surface, and now there is a dirt-filled tire wall in front of it. We don't have enough airfence to go around... so is there something still that can be done to ADEQUATELY move it back from the racing surface? Please tell me "yes".

Wild Cheetah 612
March 24th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I never went through The Can at speed (I just rode the track while instructing at race school), but it's kinda freaky when the race line heads you straight for a light post. The new pavement was good and will improve as more rubber is laid down. Those burnout boxes were slick and I don't like them much. It's not going to be that slow of a turn, but I'm still not thrilled.

I don't think Bob's Berm was much improved, either.

And what about those Tiger Teeth, Alligator Things, whatever you want to call them on the exit curbs? What do you guys think?

Throttleroller277
March 24th, 2008, 10:31 AM
The Light Pole is a concern to me as well, just as Glenn and Tony said. Hopefully they can get some funds to re-locate it.

Yeah, when I saw that wall of tires at Bob's Berm, I was rather shocked. :shock:

8)

JimWilson29
March 24th, 2008, 11:03 AM
On another safety concern - Bob's Berm...

Someone please convince me that it is an improvement. The berm hasn't been sufficiently moved back from the racing surface, and now there is a dirt-filled tire wall in front of it. We don't have enough airfence to go around... so is there something still that can be done to ADEQUATELY move it back from the racing surface? Please tell me "yes".

Since we are repairing the airfences that would not hold air previously, we could possibly put 1 or 2 sections there.

glenngsxr
March 24th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Why the hell do we need to allocate funds to move the light pole. I will go dig that son of a bisch up right now for free and dig a new hole and put it elsewhere. Ridiculous. Glenn #62

ChickenStrip
March 24th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I think the ridges on tiger teeth are too aggressive. I saw someone in front of me hit them and his bike got loose under him and he went off the track. Also why isn't there tiger teeth on the exit of turn two? I have a hard time coming out of turn two because the dirt and the track are the same color.

TBSgraphics
March 24th, 2008, 12:12 PM
once we get the section of airfrence repaired and move the light pole, we will have 2 sections we can use elsewhere(bob's burm) if needed.

with the new t10 exit I think we are stuck using 3 section there to cver the end and enough of the fence till we get the possible impact area as a glancing/stright along run off area...

the light pole is not a big issue if you fall by yourself, only if a multiple rider crash where someone gets pushed out.

The drop off on t10 now is bad, so be careful till they get it leveled out and trapped...
the one person that fell in T10 saturday, just went wide, and if the runoff was finished, he never would have fallen, just dropping off a 20 inch drop with soft dirt, he dug in and did a nice moto-x over the bars move....

I did not ride the new section yet, but it looks worlds better from t9-to the burn out area, once we get the removealable curbing in place for the t10 apex, should be very nice, as long as we get the exit conditioned to allow for better(SOME) drive with out spinning up..

saw some of the first riders(Mike A.) spinning bad in 4th/5th gear 1/4 throttle at like 4K rpms......ZERO traction at first, but some said as the day went on it got better,

Also we have to keep some fingurs cross that once the cars get on it, it doesn't get ripped to SH%T....

overall, it has to be better than before, just takes a bit of time to get seasoned and to find the right lines....

my $.02 on the new improvements...

benfoxmra95
March 24th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Josh graham was down on sunday and today, Mark Schell. and him came up with a safer config for the turn last night after everyone left, I helped but only was only allowed to carry the cones, damn Schellinger has to control everything.... :lol: Just kidding mark... :P

we ran the new config that way all day today. And what I can tell you is, that compared to yesterday when I ran it and just about highsided on everylap yesterday. Today was so much better, it was arranged that you can find a line that does not cross over the drag strip rubbered up burn out area.

Yesterday (Sunday), Josh Terry Teske and myself got in two very good fast sessions, in the afternoon when the track temps were definately up and conditions were right, and Josh was just not able to open the throttle anywhere until 150 ft. past the apex. Terry on his 600 was the same, and it was likewise for me, it's fun a for a 2 laps spinning the rear tire a little, but when you want to get a good drive down the straight, it just couldn't be done. Josh was definately not comfortable with it at all.

Today, the new config, is so much better and safer, josh rode it today all day, and brian destarac was there as well, and had no issues. Mark Shcell was there today as well watching and evaluating all day.

The only thing that is comprimised is the width, it's more like one of the 88th street turns at old second creek now, it's fairly narrow and your not going two bikes wide in the corner.

The new config takes the outer wall along the drag strip out of the equation as well. Where as yesterday you had the potential of ending up into it.

Everyone agreed at the end of the day, that single file racing on tractable surfaces with plenty of run off was better than two bike side by side on slicker than shit rubber, with a shot at the wall.

From Initial lap time, it appears as though it has slowed lap times by anywhere from 1.5-2.5 seconds per lap. that's a fairly rough estimate as no one was full speed but, Josh definately put in some good ones on new tires.

The thing of it is which I feel is most important, that everyone has to go into it remebering, that it's a slower corner now, just like if you showed up at a new track. You have to re learn that section, and realize that your lap times will be slower, as everyone else's will be as well.

The new asphault is grippy and smooth much like hastings there were no problems when hard on the brakes.

My personal opinion is that I like it, it's narrow and decieving but from a scaredy cats point of view, I like it 100 times better than what it was yesterday running over the burnout rubber.

-TK-
March 24th, 2008, 06:44 PM
The drop off on t10 now is bad, so be careful till they get it leveled out and trapped...
the one person that fell in T10 saturday, just went wide, and if the runoff was finished, he never would have fallen, just dropping off a 20 inch drop with soft dirt, he dug in and did a nice moto-x over the bars move....

That pretty much sums it up perfectly. Even I, being a new racer, was breaking the rear loose coming out of 10 easily on my 600. Mike was nice enough to warn my group about it immediately and we didn't have any problems. I just made sure to have the bike in an almost upright position before really slamming the throttle. I could definitely see it being a problem for the faster guys coming through that corner leaned. But I also noticed more traction between 2-3 p.m. when the track was probably at it's warmest for the day.

Wild Cheetah 612
March 24th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Hey Tim,
You're famous now! You have a turn named after you! And, you have a new name: Tim "The Can" Kanelopoulos

Wahooman
March 24th, 2008, 06:59 PM
saw some of the first riders(Mike A.) spinning bad in 4th/5th gear 1/4 throttle at like 4K rpms......ZERO traction at first, but some said as the day went on it got better,

Seriously?! YIKES...I thought it was a "slowing" corner.....coming through in 4th or 5th gear seems faster than before, yet again I was slow through 10 before and I know I never went through in 5th gear...and if I did I had not power to drive out properly.

So I guess my question would be....is this a "high" gear corner?? I thought with the changes it was going to be more like 2nd or 3rd gear.

I thank everyone for comments on this and the drawings that have been posted. For someone who can't get down there often it helps.....currently I only have pictures of tires spinning and not liking it from the descriptions.
:shock:

benfoxmra95
March 24th, 2008, 07:07 PM
[quote]saw some of the first riders(Mike A.) spinning bad in 4th/5th gear 1/4 throttle at like 4K rpms......ZERO traction at first, but some said as the day went on it got better,

4th or 5th gear :shock: , applehans rails through there, wow! :shock: , even when the track was in it's faster old config, i not sure anyone could run through there in 4th or even 5th gear.

3rd? any takers on 3rd gear?

Clarkie
March 24th, 2008, 07:24 PM
thanks for all the updates! since I sucked ass through T10 before any change is a good change for me :D

motobum
March 24th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Today, the new config, is so much better and safer, josh rode it today all day, and brian destarac was there as well, and had no issues. Mark Shcell was there today as well watching and evaluating all day.

ben

can you use glenn's picture and draw the configuration that you guys figured out?

marty
March 24th, 2008, 10:13 PM
here are a few pix from the track today. i didn't mind the new layout, its just different. i think once you have ridden it a couple of times it will not seem as spooky as the old layout with all the bumps

pre grid facing out to the new pavement leading up to t10 and the pole
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/6331/pmppixbands008xj9.th.jpg (http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pmppixbands008xj9.jpg)

heading to t10 and pole
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/3314/pmppixbands009bh6.th.jpg (http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pmppixbands009bh6.jpg)

other side of the track leading to t10 and pole
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/6798/pmppixbands010pt6.th.jpg (http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pmppixbands010pt6.jpg)

next to pole looking down the strait
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1856/pmppixbands011py9.th.jpg (http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pmppixbands011py9.jpg)

behind the pole looking down the strait
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/262/pmppixbands012wa8.th.jpg (http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pmppixbands012wa8.jpg)

and yes i know i said pole far too many times, so go ahead i am prepared for the one liners :lol:

cu260r6
March 24th, 2008, 11:16 PM
That pole and all the tires look really spooky from the pics, but maybe the view is different while riding. Why do the tire barriers have to be 10x as wide as the pole? Isn't that just increasing the chance of hitting something substantial? Edit: nevermind, now I see the guardrail.

If the grip is so bad couldn't we just put the apex cone closer to the north side of the main straight making it a single file, very slow turn where you're only leaned over for a split second.

I'll be down there Friday to give it a try, but I was partial to the old t10 where you'd go through standing on the pegs and when the tank hit you in the chin you knew it was time to turn the throttle. :)

Wild Cheetah 612
March 25th, 2008, 09:02 AM
3rd? any takers on 3rd gear?
I'll take that gear selection

mayhem
March 25th, 2008, 09:50 AM
i was running turn 10 in 3rd and trying to exit on the outside in order to stay on asphalt. staying wide and not exiting on the cement seemed to keep wheel spin down quite a bit.....i'm not nearly as fast as most of you, so just my .02

Throttleroller277
March 25th, 2008, 11:24 AM
:?

JimWilson29
March 25th, 2008, 11:42 AM

http://www.bwgreyscale.com/adimg04/adv_1523.JPG

Throttleroller277
March 25th, 2008, 01:10 PM
:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

mayhem
March 25th, 2008, 03:23 PM

http://www.bwgreyscale.com/adimg04/adv_1523.JPG

i'm not gonna take that sitting down, so hang on a minute and i'll stand up.

Doughboy
April 10th, 2008, 07:55 AM
And what about those Tiger Teeth, Alligator Things, whatever you want to call them on the exit curbs? What do you guys think?

I think the ridges on tiger teeth are too aggressive. I saw someone in front of me hit them and his bike got loose under him and he went off the track. Also why isn't there tiger teeth on the exit of turn two? I have a hard time coming out of turn two because the dirt and the track are the same color.

After a 3 page thread of some info worth reading, and some not, both times the 'Tiger Teeth' were brought up nobody had a reply. Does anyone know what the reasons were behind adding these to the track? I've heard from some that they're supposed to be MORE MOTIVATION for riders to STAY AWAY from the edge of the track:?: Riiiight. What's the story behind the concrete whoop sections? :shock:

ChickenStrip
April 10th, 2008, 09:08 AM

never said that Dingle, it's bad form to put words in another persons mouth :wink:

tell me, you have how many years racing?
how many bones have you broken racing?
how many times have you hit a wall or tire barrier?

when you spend a few more years racing you will learn that self preservation is very high on a lot of racer's list. Saying someone should "grow a set of balls and suck it up" is insulting to those people that have been seriously injured on the track and as a result choose to ride/race at their own pace.

Just remember we all ride for different reasons Dingle, and I can guarantee you will be surprised at how different each racer's reasons can be :wink:

I always love your little spats. You two fight like an old married couple. Do I sense a little sexual tension between you two?

The GECCO
April 10th, 2008, 09:19 AM

After a 3 page thread of some info worth reading, and some not, both times the 'Tiger Teeth' were brought up nobody had a reply. Does anyone know what the reasons were behind adding these to the track? I've heard from some that they're supposed to be MORE MOTIVATION for riders to STAY AWAY from the edge of the track:?: Riiiight. What's the story behind the concrete whoop sections? :shock:

They are there to motivate the cars to stay away from the edges of the asphalt. When cars use the edges it erodes both the asphalt and the dirt, leading to the "drop off".

Doughboy
April 10th, 2008, 09:31 AM

Bummer

vonconcepts.com
April 10th, 2008, 10:52 AM
It was my first time back to Pueblo (in the saddle) in 7 years. I appreciated the "tiger teeth" as they gave me a clearer impression of track placement. It helped with the "reference point" portion of riding... at least for me. My first session out there, I was really intimidated -- but I was able to get up to decent speed by my third session.

The T10 thing had me for a loop - I even ran right up to the outside of the turn and stopped once - how embarrasing :oops: Only in my third session did I even start to carry any demonstrable speed through there. Of course it was just plain black.... A couple orange or white lines or x's would have been cool to help with orientation.

See you up there is a few weeks.

Kurt

Doughboy
April 10th, 2008, 11:53 AM
It was my first time back to Pueblo (in the saddle) in 7 years. I appreciated the "tiger teeth" as they gave me a clearer impression of track placement. It helped with the "reference point" portion of riding... at least for me. My first session out there, I was really intimidated -- but I was able to get up to decent speed by my third session.

Kurt

Perhaps I should try some of that VonWater :D

vonconcepts.com
April 10th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Still a couple spots left for the discount --- don't be shy.... :wink: Directions are in the supporting Vendor Area. I got to try it last weekend at one of our meetings.... I was blown away at how well it worked.... better than I expected.

Doughboy
April 10th, 2008, 01:34 PM

They are there to motivate the cars to stay away from the edges of the asphalt. When cars use the edges it erodes both the asphalt and the dirt, leading to the "drop off".

Sorry. Can't let it go. The 'Tiger Teeth' are there to PROTECT THE EDGE OF THE ASPHAULT? They appear to put us RIDERS @ more potential risk than shooting straight off the pavement into the dirt. If we get pushed into/hit those at speed, I can't imagine recovering would be very likely. Has this type of thing been deemed "SAFE" on other tracks? Look what happened to Rainey. After an easy lowside he was fine untill he hit a DIRT speedbump that caused total chaos. We've brought a concrete roller coaster ride to the very edge of our common lines. If anything out there needs to be protected, it's all of us. :?

marty
April 10th, 2008, 02:32 PM

Sorry. Can't let it go. The 'Tiger Teeth' are there to PROTECT THE EDGE OF THE ASPHAULT? They appear to put us RIDERS @ more potential risk than shooting straight off the pavement into the dirt. If we get pushed into/hit those at speed, I can't imagine recovering would be very likely. Has this type of thing been deemed "SAFE" on other tracks? Look what happened to Rainey. After an easy lowside he was fine untill he hit a DIRT speedbump that caused total chaos. We've brought a concrete roller coaster ride to the very edge of our common lines. If anything out there needs to be protected, it's all of us. :?

they aren't as bad as they look to ride across, if you end up on the tiger teeth, just stand up on your pegs, stay on the gas and drive off of them. it will only take you a couple of times of getting your teeth chattered and you won't hit them as often :lol: if you don't look at them, that will also help keep you from hitting them

Doughboy
April 11th, 2008, 01:11 PM
My 2008 Pueblo race bike.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8766/18ao1.jpg

PMPJAY
April 11th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Addressing the new exit curbs at 8 and 9, they are no more aggresive the the ones at 3, 4 6A and 6B.

Doughboy
April 11th, 2008, 02:52 PM
All right, very good. I realize the Pueblo crew wouldn't do anything to jeopardize racers safety, most recently proven when big $$$ were dropped on #10. That being said, thanks to all that have made the magic happen. This is us looking forward to the goods in '08. Game on.

ChickenStrip
April 11th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Hey Doughboy did you notice your forum join date is jan "24" 2008. You're so Lame!! but nice avatar.

James W
April 14th, 2008, 05:57 PM
First of all I would like to thank PMI and the MRA. For getting it resolved Turn 10 is the bomb :D :D Soo Smooooth full throttle. That is all I have to say about that. Thanks

dragos13
April 15th, 2008, 09:45 AM
First of all I would like to thank PMI and the MRA. For getting it resolved Turn 10 is the bomb :D :D Soo Smooooth full throttle. That is all I have to say about that. Thanks

+1, great turn and seems much faster then before.