PDA

View Full Version : Engine Ice

Milehigher
March 19th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I have heard from a number of people (no one official) that the blue ENGINE ICE coolant is legal for MRA and PMP events. Is this the case? I live at 9400 ft. and will have to drain the coolant after every day at the track till June if it is not a legal coolant.

Thanks for the info.

jplracing
March 19th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Nope Engine Ice is not legal for you PMP or MRA. The problem is that it is Gylcol based and a real pain to clean up if spilled on the track

Joe

Lel399
March 20th, 2008, 10:38 AM
It is 100% ILLEGAL for the MRA (and probably all other AMA sactioned race organizations)

jason

dragos13
March 20th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Rulebook:
http://www.mra-racing.org/index.cfm?action=rulebook

Section 6.2.6 Paragraph J:

Only water, Red Line Water Wetter, Royal Purple Ice (NOT Engine Ice or Evans coolant), or Silkolene Pro CCA coolant additives are allowed in liquid cooled motorcycles. Glycol based substances are prohibited.

hcr25
March 20th, 2008, 11:11 AM
The RULE book, thats a great idea :lol:

Wild Cheetah 612
March 20th, 2008, 11:59 AM
We have rules?

Scored51
March 20th, 2008, 12:13 PM
We have rules?

That explains a lot! This is NOT a Chinese Downhill race.

Milehigher
March 20th, 2008, 12:26 PM
The RULE book, thats a great idea :lol:

Got the rule book. That's why I asked the question after I was told it was legal. It was worth asking to me since, if it was legal, it would have saved me some time.

Thanks to all for the clarification. :)

Cheers,

hcr25
March 20th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Lol, name the guy who said it was legal so he can get torn down the first weekend :lol:

Ray-Ray
March 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah! Who was it!! I need to check his bike!

DingleBerns
March 20th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I'll take the blame since no one else will. But I have a cheater bike this year...Josh Hayes' bike with battlaxs so good luck finding anything, just don't look at my crank!

The GECCO
March 20th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Dingle, NO ONE has any interest in your crank!

Well, maybe Bubba..... :P

jplracing
March 20th, 2008, 05:00 PM
sounds like Dingle is cheating on Buster....better not let him find out this weekend!!

hcr25
March 20th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Sete still has his nuts, maybe he will take a turn :shock:

froth
March 20th, 2008, 06:40 PM
"That explains a lot! This is NOT a Chinese Downhill race."

(reply from H. Kashewa) "What ze F*** is a Chinese Downhill?"

JimWilson29
March 20th, 2008, 06:50 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~jimwilson7020/Images/Dingleberns.jpg

Dodd
March 20th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I live in Winter Park and face the same problem. I just dump the water (Lower water hose coming off the water pump) before I put it in the truck. When I get to the track, I fill it back up w/ water and a little water wetter. It only takes 5+ minutes, fill the radiator while running and wait for the thermostat to open, then top it off.

I've never had a problem with air in the system, it never gets above 180 deg. (According to the stock temp. sensor) and runs great.

When I'm done, I let it cool and then pop the bottom hose off again and dump into a plastic tub (Available at the hardware store for 9 bucks, a masonry mixing tub or something) and just let the water in the block and radiator run out. Because its just water and water wetter (Which is just soap, for the most part) you can dump it.

Its kind of a pain, but at least you don't have to worry about the block freezing. I've left WP at -20 with the bike in the back of the truck taking a full wind blast and driven to Pueblo and not had a problem.

This is a Suzuki 1000, I'm not sure where the hoses are on other bikes.

Hope this helps.

Dodd

dave.gallant
March 20th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Water in the radiator is only part of the problem.

The real problem is when water in the water jackets in the motor freezes. If you simply dump the lower tube when the engine is cold and the thermostat is closed, the engine is still full of water.

(Fastest way I have found is to use compressed air and blow the thing out)

Milehigher
March 21st, 2008, 04:06 PM
Dodd & MotoSix,

Thanks for the run through. I have flushed the Engine Ice out with multiple flushes till clear while the engine was warm. Refilling with the engine running works well. The big thing I was worried about was air in the system, so I had to lift the tank to get at the bleed valve. I will try it your way. I also has a GSXR 1000, so the hoses are easy to get at.

Tomorrow at the class I'll be running in the PINK (water wetter).

Cheers,

Bob K.

Scored51
March 21st, 2008, 05:02 PM
I have flushed the Engine Ice out with multiple flushes till clear while the engine was warm.

Are you sure we're still talking about motorcycles? Sounds more like when you need to have that "personal fresh" feeling.