PDA

View Full Version : what should i race?

motobum
July 18th, 2005, 06:30 PM
i just got done with my school and am ready to get my license. i just need to know what i should race...

this is what i have been considering...

sv 650

ducati 749

my current streetbike honda 1000rr

im new so what do you guys think. i cant wait to race next season. i just hope there are still some tracks to race at... :shock:

Bueller999
July 18th, 2005, 06:45 PM
You should buy my '99 R6 'cause it's fairly cheap so when you crash, you aren't f-ing up a nice new bike, and parts are plentiful and cheap. It will allow you to race GTU and GTO in Novice and Amature. SV650 would be my second choice but you don't see to many in AmGTO :lol:
First year on a Duc.......either you got a lot of money or...........

kimisracer
July 18th, 2005, 07:07 PM
i think a 600 is the best option of those that you listed. they are forgiving bikes in several areas to the mistakes that you will make (repair costs, wreck severetity, etc). you can run almost every race that a novice possibly can on a 600 which gives you more seat time. more racers seem to be on 600's which make available spares easier.

and i would deffinately start out with a used racebike as a learner. i started out wanting to make my streetbike a racebike and was convinced by some experienced racers how bad an idea that is. then i tried to build one from scratch, which is not easy for a first time experience. finally, i bit the bullet and bought a used racebike. finally, i started having fun and actually started to do better, even put myself on the podium in the novice gto.

whatever you decide to do, good luck and you will find this group to be a great support in your efforts.
________
Fourth-generation Mustang (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Fourth-generation_Ford_Mustang)

motobum
July 18th, 2005, 07:47 PM
how can i make sure that if i did go the route of a used racebike that it will be straight and not be a death trap?

Bueller999
July 18th, 2005, 08:13 PM
I would say if a someone is currently racing a bike and is willing to push it to his/her limits then they are pretty confident in it's mechanical condition. :idea:

You could have one of the performance shops take a look at it, and get the frame checked for straightness.

motobum
July 18th, 2005, 08:31 PM
I would say if a someone is currently racing a bike and is willing to push it to his/her limits then they are pretty confident in it's mechanical condition. :idea:

You could have one of the performance shops take a look at it, and get the frame checked for straightness.

how do i check if the frame is indeed straight???

motobum
July 18th, 2005, 08:37 PM
please post your opinions people... i need to hear them!!!

dave.gallant
July 18th, 2005, 09:05 PM
While a 600 is a good race bike, I guess I am old-school and feel that a lightweight bike is still the best way to go. It used to be a good EX500 or FZR400 was the ticket, but the SV650 is now the bike to get.

There are all sorts of reasons a LW bike makes sense as a first race bike, and a few reasons you shouldn't - and if you want specifics, feel free to ask. In a nutshell, SVs handle great, easy to race prep for cheap(er), are easier on tires, the classes are fun, and the power will not get you into trouble.

Oh, there is nothing more fun in this world than passing a 110HP 600 supersport machine on a 68HP "ladies sport tourer" on the outside in turn 1 when you come to terms with the machine.

:D

(oh, I will just add that I have raced everything from RS125s and TZ250s to Ducati superbikes and R1s - and decided race an SV650 this season in addition to my 600 just because they are so much fun)

motobum
July 18th, 2005, 09:17 PM
While a 600 is a good race bike, I guess I am old-school and feel that a lightweight bike is still the best way to go. It used to be a good EX500 or FZR400 was the ticket, but the SV650 is now the bike to get.

There are all sorts of reasons a LW bike makes sense as a first race bike, and a few reasons you shouldn't - and if you want specifics, feel free to ask. In a nutshell, SVs handle great, easy to race prep for cheap(er), are easier on tires, the classes are fun, and the power will not get you into trouble.

Oh, there is nothing more fun in this world than passing a 110HP 600 supersport machine on a 68HP "ladies sport tourer" on the outside in turn 1 when you come to terms with the machine.

:D

(oh, I will just add that I have raced everything from RS125s and TZ250s to Ducati superbikes and R1s - and decided race an SV650 this season in addition to my 600 just because they are so much fun)

yeah those are the reasons i was looking at them. other people i talkt to though think that i need to just jump in with both feet. and go for a faster group.

but i believe that every bike will offer me an experience to learn from. and i am all about learning

dave.gallant
July 18th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Jumping in feet first is good for preparation, but if that was the best route in terms of bike choice than everyone should start out on a 1000cc bike. New 600s make over 100HP now, and the heros that ride the big superbikes today came up racing on 70-80HP bikes - basically SV650s with less torque.

Choose the bike that you will have the most fun on at the end of the day. You should really come to the races some Sunday and sit through the entire program and see what classes are what (if you have not already). You may decide you want to race your Honda instead (there are a few guys that came in right away on liter bikes and still race them to this day...)

BTW: I'll line up on my SV any day against a "faster group". :)

dysco
July 18th, 2005, 09:42 PM
BAH- don't listen to Dave. He knows nothing about racing. :lol: (http://www.mra-racing.org/index.cfm?action=results_2005&page=riderRESULTS&racerNUMBER=31)

dave.gallant
July 18th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Not nearly as much as this Sh!t Talker:

http://www.mra-racing.org/index.cfm?action=results_2005&page=riderRESULTS&racerNUMBER=14

motobum
July 18th, 2005, 10:34 PM
who voted for the duc?

i would love to race the ducati.

im not sure what i should do. i have tryed 1000s, 600s, and a ducati...

i felt the most comfortable on the 600. now i just have to understand why. if its because it was so easy to move and get on the power early. then clearly a sv650 would be perfect right?

how much does your sv weight compared to your 600?

dysco
July 19th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Pueblo is on 8/13-14 and PPIR is 9/3-5. Come and cornerwork any of those days and you can answer your questions yourself. 8)

July 19th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Get an SV650 or used 600 racebike. You will learn more faster with a bike that makes you ride hard to be fast. You can't rely on power with an SV, so it forces you to learn how to brake hard, get on the gas early, and carry corner speed. It's what I started out on, and I wouldn't have it any other way. 600's aren't bad either, but they are much easier to wreck IMO. :oops:

jplracing
July 20th, 2005, 08:23 PM
I am seriously considering selling my SV. Not because it is a bad bike...I just need the cash.

If you are interested in checking it out let me know.

Joe
MRA 55
303-961-2669

motobum
July 21st, 2005, 03:14 AM
I am seriously considering selling my SV. Not because it is a bad bike...I just need the cash.

Joe
MRA 55
303-961-2669

whats the story on it???

my name is benny

motobum@hotmail.com

July 21st, 2005, 06:38 AM

Joe
MRA 55
303-961-2669

You nuts Joe? You just got done building that thing!

jplracing
July 21st, 2005, 09:23 AM
Motobum....email sent

Joe Prinz PM sent

July 21st, 2005, 01:04 PM

Joe
MRA 55
303-961-2669

whats the story on it???

my name is benny

motobum@hotmail.com

This bike was well prepared... you should buy it before someone else does if Joe actually decides to sell it.. which I hope he doesn't...
joe

motobum
July 21st, 2005, 09:27 PM
Motobum....email sent

Joe Prinz PM sent

right back at yeah...