PDA

View Full Version : Jus' an idea...

jlvdo
March 6th, 2008, 12:15 PM
http://www.motorcycle.com/events/motost-bringing-twins-back-to-the-track-76165.html

I know there have been lots of suggestions/conversations about attracting new racers and keeping racers in the club. The above option would very likely make it $$ attractive to keep racing, attract new racers. The mods/tires required to make a bike competitive in the current classes are a bit much. Too much for me to keep racing. The option, or something like it, described in the article above would most likely bring me back to racing. Jus' an idea...

bluedevil
March 6th, 2008, 12:58 PM
So you want a Supertwins class? ummmm?

how about Super twins U and Super twins O 8)

dave.gallant
March 6th, 2008, 01:24 PM
So you want a Supertwins class? ummmm?

how about Super twins U and Super twins O 8)

Go price a 1098R, then reflect on what his initial suggestion was.

bluedevil
March 6th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Guess I needed it in crayon...

So class dived by weight and horsepower, more than mods and CC's? I know there are several folks in MRA that have discuissed that very idea in detail... :wink:

T Baggins
March 6th, 2008, 02:30 PM
The new Ninja 250 is very affordable, AND kawasaki pays contingency on it...

dave.gallant
March 6th, 2008, 02:39 PM
The new Ninja 250 is very affordable, AND kawasaki pays contingency on it...

Word. Suzuki and Kawasaki pay great contingency!

( too bad you have to race against 749Rs or the new 848 to win it! )

Clarkie
March 6th, 2008, 03:36 PM
now you tell me a Ninja 250 isnt competitive in Lightweight twins! :evil:

dave.gallant
March 6th, 2008, 03:36 PM
now you tell me a Ninja 250 isnt competitive in NotLightweight twins! :evil:

Fixed it for you.

motobum
March 6th, 2008, 06:18 PM
i think clarkie should haul his dyno to the track and there be a horsepower limited classes.

think about all the money people would save by not building superbike motors!

jlvdo
March 6th, 2008, 06:29 PM
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=6024&Page=1

or this...

even less money. Jus' an idea. I mean, y'all want more peoples in here, no? Supertwins, who the hell can afford to tweak out ya' bloody twins to be competative, against 848s. Guess I'm in the wrong org.... sigh.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
March 7th, 2008, 09:00 PM
i think clarkie should haul his dyno to the track and there be a horsepower limited classes.

think about all the money people would save by not building superbike motors!
Yep, they could use that money to pay Clarkie for dyno runs!

Seriously, almost every other year the idea of HP/weight limited class(es) comes up during the rule change process. It basically boils down to logistics and enforcement.

First, someone would have to supply a calibrated dyno to the track. Imagine what happens when a contingency winner is DQ'd for being over the limit after being 5 HP under the limit the day before on someone else's dyno. <ugh> Plus someone would have to run the dyno for each HP class - likely they'd want to be paid for their trouble even if the MRA owned and transported the dyno to & from the track.

Second, Ray-Ray or whoever is doing tech would have to have a way to insure there wasn't a hidden map switching capability somewhere on the bike.

Finally, we'd have to have a method (meaning assigned person and process) to impound bikes right after coming off the track for weight. That would be to make sure someone doesn't cruise back to their pits and put the diving weights back under their seat before weigh-in.

Once you consider all that, it ends up not making sense for a member run not-for-profit club like ours.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=6024&Page=1

or this...

even less money. Jus' an idea. I mean, y'all want more peoples in here, no? Supertwins, who the hell can afford to tweak out ya' bloody twins to be competative, against 848s. Guess I'm in the wrong org.... sigh.
Even less money? How do you figure? I checked out the RSD450 link and it's listed for $15K, That's $2K more than an 848. http://users.frii.com/jjb/emote/dunno.gif

You wanna know how to race cheap - ask TeaBag.

dave.gallant
March 7th, 2008, 09:33 PM
As usual Jimbo, you are absolutely correct on all of the above points. There is simply no easy solution.

So, the engine building wars aside, it seems that over the years it seems the hardest part has always been getting people to realize that racing anything side by side is what keeps us coming back year after year and not the actual machinery.

I don't know what the answer is to "cheap racing", but I do know that while racing a 175HP GSXR 1000 is a lot of fun, fighting tooth and nail for a position with 10 other people is more fun even if you are all on NSR50s.

Scored51
March 8th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I don't know what the answer is to "cheap racing"...

I don't mean to restart the argument that's been beaten to death on this forum about cheapest way to go racing, but consider the following.
Racing isn't expensive, winning is!

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
March 9th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Racing isn't expensive, winning is!
Touche', Mr. Dale!

uberwench
March 10th, 2008, 04:31 PM
You wanna know how to race cheap - ask TeaBag.

Tony, does anybody pay contingency if I bring my twins to the track?

T Baggins
March 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM
If I can have a private viewing area - I'll pay "contingency"! :shock:

The GECCO
March 10th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Margaret, WHY do you encourage him?!?! :roll:

froth
March 11th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Hey T-Bag. I'll got in havsies with you. You want left or right? (Luv ya Marg'! hOPE TO SEE YOU AT lor)

uberwench
March 11th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Margaret, WHY do you encourage him?!?! :roll:

Who, ME? *blink blink* You boys are incorrigible.

I was speaking of my son and daughter... they're twins... :lol:

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
March 12th, 2008, 02:47 PM
How does a well intentioned discussion about a new bike class and maybe cost reduction ideas drift into banter about Margaret's physique? http://users.frii.com/jjb/emote/slobber.gif

I love this forum!

froth
March 12th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Jim:
It's because:
1. We're men.
2. We're pigs.
3. Pigs like to ride big twins.

uberwench
March 14th, 2008, 12:28 PM
How does a well intentioned discussion about a new bike class and maybe cost reduction ideas drift into banter about Margaret's physique? http://users.frii.com/jjb/emote/slobber.gif
I love this forum!

This forum is Amateur Hour compared to my workplace. :lol:

froth
March 14th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Cripes, Margaret! Where do you work??? Can We get jobs there?

xx00

Fred