PDA

View Full Version : AMA notice - minimum age of 16 for cornerworkers

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
February 29th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Hi everyone,

Please don't shoot the messenger, but this was sent to Tony B. earlier this month ...

http://users.frii.com/jjb/MRA_board/ama_notice.pdf

cornerworkr
March 3rd, 2008, 07:00 AM
Does this mean I can't do start/finish this year?

Scored51
March 3rd, 2008, 07:52 AM
What I'd like to know is why the AMA believes "Sound judgment and decision-making skills" has anything to do with sixteen year olds! :lol:

Seriously though... has anyone yet contacted the AMA about exceptions/exclusions and what does this mean for our minimum racer age? (rulebook 4.4.1 - ...Admission as a racer will be scrutinized by skill, not by age.)

DingleBerns
March 3rd, 2008, 08:19 AM
isn't 16 yrs old the cut off for the red bull rookies cup?? So they can race and make those kind of decisions but they don't want a 16 year old waving a flag....

KipBook
March 3rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the person working for the clubs age. It does have a lot to do with insurance. If the insurance company says 16 is the age minimum, then we can't risk having an under-aged person flagging. If they got hit by a bike then the insurance wouldn't back the club if a lawsuit was brought to bare.

As far as
(rulebook 4.4.1 - ...Admission as a racer will be scrutinized by skill, not by age.) unfortunately this only applies to you racers and not the corner staff. In my past experience, some of the best corner workers I've dealt with have been under the age 16. But alas, we need to protect our club so no more "kids".

Kip

Kickstand
March 5th, 2008, 04:25 PM
What does this mean for Autumn? Is she still ok, since she doesnt waive a flag?

Ray-Ray
March 5th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Unfortunately, she will not be allowed on the track at all. I guess she can take up announcing full time or maybe even score keeping. (technically that's not on the track)

Bummer for the MRA. Like Kip said we have had some of our BEST corner workers that started when they were under 16.

Scored51
March 6th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Unfortunately, she will not be allowed on the track at all. I guess she can take up announcing full time or maybe even score keeping. (technically that's not on the track)

If this truly is the case about scorekeeping, Autumn could wave flags from the structures provided at start/finish at both PMI and Hastings. Technically she wouldn't be on the track, and would be protected.

My .02

T Baggins
March 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I don't think working pre-grid as she has been qualifies as "corner working" per se - but it is around hot bikes, etc...

Better err on the side of safety - and Blame the AMA for the new policy.

glenngsxr
March 6th, 2008, 10:40 AM
AMA sucks. Autumn rules.

KipBook
March 8th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I guess she can take up announcing full time

To be quite honest, from the way she talks about it and from what I've heard aroung the "camp fire", I think she enjoys announcing with Jim and the racers I've talked to like her to. She has an excitement in her voice that tells us her enthusiasm is genuine.

I hope she wants to continue as an announcer. :D

Timmay!
March 15th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Autumn and I understand the liability exposure to the club as it pertains to AMA regulations. I agree that Autumn announcing in a more active role is an equitable solution. Thanks to everyone for their consideration. We will see all of you at the track.