PDA

View Full Version : 2 smokers

February 21st, 2008, 09:54 AM
how many smokers in the club now?

lets get together at one of these track days and kill some mosquitos.

bout to bring the t-zed out of winter hibernation.

s.

marty
February 21st, 2008, 11:43 AM
if i can get a few things buttoned up on the 125 i'll b there sunday

Spicee Brown
February 21st, 2008, 07:46 PM
I have a slightly dialed ( shhhh dont say that too loud she'll SIEZE) Rd350 Cafe Im gonna take to IMI on a COlorado Powersports track day Im organizing in March. In NOOO way will I take it to Pueblo . WOT and not knowing a main jet reading for that straight? Uh-uhhhh. No thanks.
Best way to describe the handling of this bike? HINGE.
2 Stroker at heart..
Dave Strain
Co-Pow MRA #164

Spicee Brown
February 21st, 2008, 07:48 PM
Anyone have any nice rearsets or Spannies? hahaha

T Baggins
February 25th, 2008, 08:12 AM
T-Baggins - '92 TZ 250 & '93 TZ 250

Frank D - '98 TZ 250

Coonshead - '92 TZ 250

Ty Piz - '98 TZ 250

Dale Murphy - '95 (?) TZ 250

Seann (yes you) - '95 (?) TZ 250

#850 (can't remember his name at the moment) - '93 TZ 250

Randy Miller - '95 & '98 TZ 250

Looks like there's lots of TZ's, eh? Who needs the USGPRU?

dave.gallant
February 25th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Dale is on a '98 and I think Sean's started out as a '97.

Anything from 97 to 99 is essentially the same (from the outside anyways) with minor tweaks from year to year.

And Ty was on a 2000 model (or 01?) for AMA, and I didn't think he switched back to a 4DP?

February 27th, 2008, 11:14 AM
ooooh. lotsa players this year.

now we just gotta get together and make some noise.

maybe Davey G. will come out and show us what its really like to go fast on a GP machine.

s.

T Baggins
February 27th, 2008, 11:24 AM
We'll all be there Jordann. You gotta show up more than once this year!

Lord have mercy on the SV's...

akuretz
February 27th, 2008, 12:43 PM
We'll all be there Jordann. You gotta show up more than once this year!

Lord have mercy on the SV's...

Meh, I'll probably let Dale and Seann by, but you Tony I'm keeping behind me. :mrgreen:

froth
February 27th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Great! At least I'll be able to look really good on the start, for what twenty or thirty seconds, when I do my usual give it all up in turn one maneuver!

This will be a really fun year! Let's get it going!

dave.gallant
February 27th, 2008, 01:06 PM
ooooh. lotsa players this year.

now we just gotta get together and make some noise.

maybe Davey G. will come out and show us what its really like to go fast on a GP machine.

s.

Ty will be the one who teaches everyone a lesson!

That said, if I could find a sugar-momma to front me a bike, I would line up on a real race bike again. There is nothing quite like a real drafting battle on 250s. :)

T Baggins
February 27th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Well, seeing's how I got me two bikes I guess I "could" be your sugar-momma. But you gotta promise not to beat me! :lol:

dave.gallant
February 27th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Well, seeing's how I got me two bikes I guess I "could" be your sugar-momma. But you gotta promise not to beat me! :lol:

I can promise that if you can promise to win the race? :)

T Baggins
February 27th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I promise!

dave.gallant
February 27th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I promise!

Done deal!

:D

Better yet, let's get everyone involved:

I will, or better yet, MotoSix will give away a brand new set of Klucky Puck Knee Pucks to the first 125 or 250GP rider to win LW Grand Prix.

( Jeff Winter - your little RS125/CRF450X is eligible as well! )

Yes, it is a small token for this first race win. If we can get more than 10 bikes on the LW grid and more than five 250s on the grid, I am sure we could dig up an even better next contingency item!

And, for the record, I love SV650s and all lightweight bikes - but nothing compares to purebred TZ250! :)

Ray-Ray
February 27th, 2008, 04:17 PM

ARE YOU CHEATING ON ME? :oops:

froth
February 27th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Ray-Ray:

I thought you loved me and our SV's! Sniff Sniff. I may just have to work like a dawg and try to get a 250 just to race something different every other race!

Like I'm ever going to win a set of knee pucs on anything I ride>LOL

Ray-Ray
February 27th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I do love my SV.... Just wish I could rebuild the motor for the season. I'm gonna need a little extra to keep up with the TZ's.

dave.gallant
February 27th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I do love my SV.... Just wish I could rebuild the motor for the season. I'm gonna need a little extra to keep up with the TZ's.

Ray -

There are some cheap(ish) things you can do to that motor that will help wake things up a bit (if they have not already been done). PM me.

akuretz
February 27th, 2008, 05:42 PM

Ray -

There are some cheap(ish) things you can do to that motor that will help wake things up a bit (if they have not already been done). PM me.

Nitrous? :shock:

froth
February 27th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Okay, time to give. Don't worry, I think the good Mr. M. already knows them, so do tell.

Jakeracer
February 27th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Damnit...not too recently I sold a Trackmaster framed Yamaha TA 125 twin flattracker I restored and raced when I was a Novice dirttracker, always thought it also would have been cool to have one as a roadracer......now,..where is the pic of that thing..?.....I'll have to dig it up.

Titus
June 6th, 2008, 04:11 PM
howdy to all the 2 smokers out there (they say smoking is an addiction...i fear this may be true)

anyways just wanted to introduce myself to the local 2-stroke guys on here, I am looking to get a 95+ Honda RS125 for a track bike.

I have an 04 Honda CBR 1000RR for the street, but i won't be using it for track duty [yet].

polar x
June 6th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Welcome aboard, come on out and play. We have 3-4 TZ250 and some 125s too. Have you raced as well or are you just doing track days for now? We have our next race at the end of June in Pueblo, come on down and say hi. We all pit right next to TECH, just look for the BLUE SMOKE signals. 8)

dave.gallant
June 6th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Valves are for toilets!

( that is all I have to add to the conversation at this time )

:D

TRK
June 7th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Done deal!

Very Happy

I will, or better yet, MotoSix will give away a brand new set of Klucky Puck Knee Pucks to the first 125 or 250GP rider to win LW Grand Prix.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

polar x
June 7th, 2008, 08:41 AM
:roll: You may well just come over to our pit area and drop them off for Tony. He WILL win it. It's only a matter of time.

dave.gallant
June 7th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Done deal!

Very Happy

:shock: :shock: :shock:

So, get on a 250 Shannon!

dave.gallant
June 7th, 2008, 09:47 AM
:roll: You may well just come over to our pit area and drop them off for Tony. He WILL win it. It's only a matter of time.

You obviously have not raced GP bikes a very long time. They decide how far and how well they will run any given weekend, not you. :)

TRK
June 7th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I have fun on the MIGHTY SV.
I will say I don't think I can ride her much faster though, I am starting to go through hard parts and fairings by dragging them on the pavement.

I do have a plan though :wink:

June 7th, 2008, 10:15 AM

do share.

dave.gallant
June 7th, 2008, 10:16 AM

do share.

Nitrous!!

(for me, not the bike)

polar x
June 7th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I have fun on the MIGHTY SV.
I will say I don't think I can ride her much faster though, I am starting to go through hard parts and fairings by dragging them on the pavement.

Please tell me it will involve someone (tony) not finishing the race thereby allowing me to place one position higher. (provided I don't crash :roll: AGAIN) OH please do tell all..... 8)

kidding T-bag

TRK
June 7th, 2008, 10:41 AM
its a......................................secret :wink:

dave.gallant
June 7th, 2008, 10:44 AM

LOL

I love seeing competition in LWGP! :)

June 7th, 2008, 11:36 AM

i know what it is.

finally gonna slap some b-stones on that sv.

polar x
June 7th, 2008, 02:38 PM

LOL

I love seeing competition in LWGP! :)

Me too Dave, I just wish I was CLOSER to it. My old eyes don't see that far very well. :oops:

motobum
June 8th, 2008, 01:34 AM

i know what it is.

finally gonna slap some b-stones on that sv.

no he said he wanted to go faster. not land on his head! :D

TRK
June 8th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Just fast enough to win!!!

Titus
June 9th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Welcome aboard, come on out and play. We have 3-4 TZ250 and some 125s too. Have you raced as well or are you just doing track days for now? We have our next race at the end of June in Pueblo, come on down and say hi. We all pit right next to TECH, just look for the BLUE SMOKE signals. 8)

Im just planning on doin track days for now, & i actually want to haul it to Keith Code's California Superbike School & do a few days there. Then eventually get into some competition.

so what classes do you guys run your 125's & 250's in? i havent seen a specific class for them goin thru the MRA rulebook, but i'm not real clear on all the classes anyways.

polar x
June 9th, 2008, 04:49 AM
LWGP is the main one, and depending on what year you get (10y old + ) you can run it in Modern Vintage U and O, plus AmU and LWT Endurance.

Even if you had a new one you could run LWGP, AmU and LWT Endurance for your first season.

Let us know when you get one and we can hook up and put some laps in at the track. Good luck with it.

June 9th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Just fast enough to win!!!

well, you've been doing plenty of that already.

T Baggins
June 9th, 2008, 01:01 PM
LWGP
Modern Vintage (GTO & GTU) if 10 yrs or older
Amateur GTO & GTU
Novice GTO & GTU
Race of the Rockies GTU (eventually)

all legal for 125's and 250's

T Baggins
June 9th, 2008, 01:06 PM

do share.

Nitrous!!

(for me, not the bike)

Don't bogart that Nitrous!! Some for me too...

His plan is to take away my tequila the night before, so I won't be hung over for the race! bastard!!

FWIW, "I" have a plan too... I'm gonna ride the fast 250 at Pueblo. :shock: I've been riding the slow one until I got used to the 250's and how they work.

What a kick in the ASS Hastings was! Shannon is one fast mo-fo - but I have every intention of beating him (eventually...)!

TRK
June 9th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Dude, Hastings was a blast. To be honest, I don't think the mighty SV can be ridden much harder than she was at Hastings.

The FASTER TZ..................................great :shock:
No Tequila for you!

jsears1864
June 11th, 2008, 10:59 PM
i just got a 94 tz125.

does anyone know what my baseline jetting should be??????

its a mikuni carb.

I dont know ANYTHING about jetting so im going to need detailed instructions if you can.

Thanks!

fyi-i havent got my race license yet and i might not get it done this summer b/c im doing alot of supermoto right now.)

June 12th, 2008, 09:01 AM
not sure you'll find much help here on that one. if it's anything like a 2fiddy, you'll want to start around a 350 main and r7 nozzle. can help you out at the track if you'd like. planning on being a pmi for vanmars get together on monday 23rd

i'd suggest you hit up the boards on tz250racing.com

s.

dave.gallant
June 12th, 2008, 09:13 AM
A 94 TZ125 is actually half of a 92-99 (non pressurized airbox model) TZ250.

The carbs are *almost* identical, and the ignitions are similar but the flywheel is different on the 125.

The hot mod is to convert them over to a 2000+ square bore motor, and Kevin Murray can help you go about doing that. He is the king of TZ125s (and hopefully he releases his own bike soon!)

If you can get it to run on an R7 nozzle I would be amazed. Nothing leaner than an R4 at the middle clip on the needle, and I think I ran mine at an R5 on average. Start at 350 on the main, R5 on the nozzle, 1,5 turns on the air screw, and don't worry about the pilot or the power jet just yet. Start there and take the head off after the first 5-7 laps (and after each session) until you are confident you are close on the jetting.

The TZ125 is a kick-a$$ little bike - Have fun with it!

June 12th, 2008, 11:16 AM
doh. he's right . just looked at my notes. i'm running r5's.

+1 on K. Murray. He definitely works some magic on those little tz's.

T Baggins
June 12th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I ran Mains in the 170 - 180 range on my RS125... not sure why you guys would be drowning the poor little 125 with that much fuel...

Ask Marty (marty, where are you....??? chime in any time now....) and he'll tell you what he's been running on his 125.

Are there that significant differences between the RS and TZ 125??

dave.gallant
June 12th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I ran Mains in the 170 - 180 range on my RS125... not sure why you guys would be drowning the poor little 125 with that much fuel...

Ask Marty (marty, where are you....??? chime in any time now....) and he'll tell you what he's been running on his 125.

Dude - keihen vs mikuni!

T Baggins
June 12th, 2008, 12:22 PM
doh! :oops:

marty
June 12th, 2008, 03:36 PM

i've been in contact with jsears but i got no clue on the yamamahas. he was the guy who had the 93 rs125. jsears, take motosix advice on a start and once we get your track cert, we can dial in from there

T Baggins
June 12th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Randy Miller at Speedwrench has a TZ125. He could tell you where to start as well. He's in the phone book, Denver.

Jon
June 12th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Are Sean, Ty, Dale and these others aware of the fact we have all these TZ's racing these days.The lack of them the dropping of opur formula 2 and 3 classes is why they went else where in the first place! We rarely see John and Al these days and I personally miss seeing him lay waste to all in LWGPP on a 125. After seeing the USGPRU race at Firebird a couple times this year and seeing the kids on the minibikes, I think the MRA would be well served by proposing to them hosting a round in 09'. Do be prepared however, as the USGPRU has some very quick riders and it would only serve to raise the level of competition within our club. I've supported the idea for years and John and Al Hjelm can certainly point you in the right direction. The organization's top notch and you guys should maybe take a vote, draw up a proposal for the board to invite them to High Plains in 09'
Maybe I should shut my mouth though as I no longer ride the class but have supported it for years through trophy sponsorship and I'd love to see it grow though I am cutting the throat of my own rider within the class and hope he doesn't see this or he'll never see that yet to be seen trophy he's trying to win! Anyhow great job the class is growing and it's really great to see you guys riding real racebikes!

Clarkie
June 12th, 2008, 10:24 PM
If you can get it to run on an R7 nozzle I would be amazed. Nothing leaner than an R4 at the middle clip on the needle, and I think I ran mine at an R5 on average. Start at 350 on the main, R5 on the nozzle, 1,5 turns on the air screw, and don't worry about the pilot or the power jet just yet. Start there and take the head off after the first 5-7 laps (and after each session) until you are confident you are close on the jetting.

blah blah blah nozzle snozzle foshozzle :D

you know on my Honda RS250 we just changed needles and mains, and oh yeah I could rejet both carbs in about 10 minutes

Honda GP bikes RULE! :twisted:

marty
June 12th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Are Sean, Ty, Dale and these others aware of the fact we have all these TZ's racing these days.The lack of them the dropping of opur formula 2 and 3 classes is why they went else where in the first place! We rarely see John and Al these days and I personally miss seeing him lay waste to all in LWGPP on a 125. After seeing the USGPRU race at Firebird a couple times this year and seeing the kids on the minibikes, I think the MRA would be well served by proposing to them hosting a round in 09'. Do be prepared however, as the USGPRU has some very quick riders and it would only serve to raise the level of competition within our club. I've supported the idea for years and John and Al Hjelm can certainly point you in the right direction. The organization's top notch and you guys should maybe take a vote, draw up a proposal for the board to invite them to High Plains in 09'
Maybe I should shut my mouth though as I no longer ride the class but have supported it for years through trophy sponsorship and I'd love to see it grow though I am cutting the throat of my own rider within the class and hope he doesn't see this or he'll never see that yet to be seen trophy he's trying to win! Anyhow great job the class is growing and it's really great to see you guys riding real racebikes!

the hjelms will be at hastings in july.

i proposed the idea on the usgpru forum last year to come and race at pmp but they weren't too keen on the idea. however, i think once we have hpr they may be more receptive.

jsears1864
June 13th, 2008, 12:49 AM
yea marty has been helping me. I was supposed to have called randy miller already but i havent got around to it. i was just hoping maybe one of you guys would know already from past experience. So a tz125 is just half a tz250 right?

thanks for the help, you guys rock.

i just got an email about another vanmar class on july 11th. im still debating going to laguna on the 12thish? for motogp. So we'll have to see.

Are any of you guys going to indy for the gp? Your favorite little bikes are going to be there. im set to meet a friend there from the east coast. It would be cool to share the driving with someone. I'll be getting a rental car for cheap ( i have a hook up).