PDA

View Full Version : MRA PR Committee First Meeting Notes

Wild Cheetah 612
February 2nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
It was held Thursday, January 31, at 6:00pm at Breckenridge Brewery

Attendees Glenn Carlson, Jon Glaefke, Louis Ortiz, Mike Lakritz, Mike Applehans, Margaret Oliver, Justin Meyer, Sheila Paul, Curtis Elmore, Lincoln Todd, Fred Roth, Teri Daois, Donna Bowden, Glenn Conser, Jeff Brown, and Mark Schellinger

Leadership of Committee
President Glenn Carlson
Vice President Jon Glaefke
Secretary rotating position Donna Bowden at first Meeting
Financial Overseers Mike Applehans and Donna Bowden

Purpose and Mission Statement
Our mission as the 2008 MRA PR and Marketing Committee is to increase spectatorship, recruit new members and racers, and create a symbiotic relationship with businesses to increase visibility. We will accomplish this through a series of local paper, television, and radio campaigns and through the distribution of materials and attendance at events at the local shops and businesses. Success will be measured through surveys of spectators at the races and race schools, and business tailored fliers with discount gate coupons.

There were lots of ideas, more than we can take on to begin with, but we hope to realize many of them with time. Here's what we're going to tackle first:
1) Fliers and Schedule Cards to be distributed at bike shops, including independently standing MRA information stands with MRA logos and business logo of the participating business.
2) A Large Banner (Thank you for your donation Marty at 12 Volt! Tavern) that we will put at the entrance to the track every race weekend.
3) We have several members of the PR group who have contacts into print, radio and television media who are showing interest in doing free spots and/or stories on the MRA.
4)Improving the MRA image of professionalism at races and making the event more of a show at the races with such ideas as Dan Morgan Pacesetter Award (still must be approved by the MRA Board) to be given at Banquet for most professional looking pit and acting racer, Umbrella girls and boys at pregrid, preferred pit areas for professional looking pits, and what else? (Here's your chance to input, folks!)
5) More internet visibility with an MRA MySpace page, YouTube videos, more cross links between the MRA and businesses.
6) MRA presence at bike shop Open Houses with the MRA Truck, racebikes and racers, and MRA information. We need your help here by attending these events with your bike, especially if you are sponsored by that shop (ie I really can't take my TriCity Cycle sponsored (and sticker covered) bike to Grand Prix Motorsports.
7) Right along with #6, you can help by just taking your bike to your sponsors and letting them show it off at their place of business for awhile.

This is where we are starting. We have more in the works, but are concentrating on these seven areas first.

The MRA Board has authorized us a budget of $1000. We intend to be as frugal and efficient as possible with those funds.

Also, we have started the CAMA Phone Campaign soliciting members and others for donations. And we also have the MRA/CSC Challenge. Let's whoop up on those CSC guys and ladies!

Clarkie
February 2nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Also, we have started the CAMA Phone Campaign soliciting members and others for donations.

For the record, I have a major problem with this plan, if anyone calls me soliciting money for a 'for profit' company (be it HPR or any other 'for profit' company) they will get an earful and a promise they will never get any money from me.

I am not alone in this, so be very very careful with how you move forward from here :wink:

dave.gallant
February 2nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
Also, we have started the CAMA Phone Campaign soliciting members and others for donations.

For the record, I have a major problem with this plan, if anyone calls me soliciting money for a 'for profit' company (be it HPR or any other 'for profit' company) they will get an earful and a promise they will never get any money from me.

I am not alone in this, so be very very careful with how you move forward from here :wink:

I don't think CAMA has MRA member personal information (at least, we have never given out this information in the past 9 years that I have known about), so hopefully you shouldn't have to worry about getting a phone call directly. :)

I always ask the people that come to my door selling me religion to sponsor my race program, so if CAMA calls, maybe you can do the same? :)

Wild Cheetah 612
February 2nd, 2008, 06:17 PM

Huh???????
I don't think you quite understand the business concept here, Aaron.
If you or anyone would like to read all the details for your self, please go here http://www.highplainsraceway.com/faq.html#3
And if you scroll down you can click on the "pro forma business plan" to get even more of the minutia of the plan.

Yes, HPR is a "for profit" venture. However, the track is owned by the five racing clubs in Colorado. The business plan has us working at a "break even" level. There is no reason for us to make money and no individuals are going to make any money. The whole idea is to charge ourselves only what we need to keep the track open and operating. Any track rentals to anyone outside of the five clubs will be charged market price. That money will be used to keep our prices even lower.

The entire cost to build this track is $2.8 million. Firm quotes are in hand for all of this to eliminate concerns of cost over-runs. With the $883K CAMA already had in the bank from Second Creek and the clubs investments, the loans CAMA's acquired, and the donations from members are what's financing this project. If CAMA were to get loans for all of the needed capital, then we'd just have to charge ourselves more. So it's pay now or pay later.
As of a couple of days ago, CAMA has $455K in donations. We need another $45K minimum in donations to have a bare bones track. We are hoping for $1 million in donations to create an outstanding facility, you know like running water, flush toilets, showers, a nice club house, etc.

So, for the record, you are sadly misinformed, Mr. Clark, and I hope you take the time to investigate what's going on before making blanket statements. And please don't give an earful to the faithful MRA member/racer/volunteer who may be calling you.

On a personal note, I am saddened and disappointed in the thought that any one of us is comfortable in taking a free ride and sponging off those of us who have donated until it hurts so that we all can have a quality racing facility here in Colorado.

Those of us who have donated are not alone in this and we have paid attention to how very very carefully this project has moved forward. :wink:

dave.gallant
February 2nd, 2008, 06:58 PM
On a personal note, I am saddened and disappointed in the thought that any one of us is comfortable in taking a free ride and sponging off those of us who have donated until it hurts so that we all can have a quality racing facility here in Colorado.

Oh please, you must be kidding me.

You donated $, and that makes you better than the "other" roadracer who is doing his/her best to pay the bills week to week?

When the track gets built, you can take pride in knowing you donated to it.

Stop trying to belittle the membership of the MRA.

dave.gallant
February 2nd, 2008, 07:03 PM
FWIW: That link that Donna posted has some great info. I had not ready the business plan section in depth and it looks like there has been some great work in that area.

Wild Cheetah 612
February 2nd, 2008, 07:28 PM

Oh please, you must be kidding me.

You donated $, and that makes you better than the "other" roadracer who is doing his/her best to pay the bills week to week?

When the track gets built, you can take pride in knowing you donated to it.

Stop trying to belittle the membership of the MRA.
Belittle the membership, indeed. I'm not better than anyone. I work for and represent this membership. Most of it on my own unpaid time, but that was another forums post. The membership is what keeps this club going. I struggle to pay the bills like anyone else. For God's sake, I'm a public school teacher. On top of that, Otis was out of work for several weeks with the hip replacement, so I was covering his bills as well. Bet I make a lot less than you, for instance, but assuredly more than some of our younger racers. If any of us can afford to race at all, we can afford to spend a little money to make sure that motorcycle racing continues in Colorado. You all have seen membership numbers decline over the last couple of years since the loss of CDR, PPIR, and 2nd Creek. I don't think it will get better without another track here in Colorado.

Donating has nothing to do with pride. It has to do with doing my part at whatever level I can to be a contributing member. I am trying to be a responsible member of this club. I raced at many of the established amateur tracks here in Colorado that others paid for to be built. Now I am paying that back and paying it forward for the future.

CAMA is not asking anyone to go into bankruptcy, just donate what you can.

Clarkie
February 2nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
So, for the record, you are sadly misinformed, Mr. Clark, and I hope you take the time to investigate what's going on before making blanket statements. And please don't give an earful to the faithful MRA member/racer/volunteer who may be calling you.

Maybe I am more informed than you think Donna, I have no problem donating to the track fund of my own free will, but listing people who havent paid and calling them to guilt trip them into donating money may get you a reaction you arent expecting. How do you feel when you are called by telemarketers, some people will react the same way when pressured (lets face it, that is what you are doing by calling them at home), you may lose more than you think you will gain. Like I said, I am not alone in this.

Wild Cheetah 612
February 2nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
Guilt trip? Are you feeling guilty? Aaron, I noticed you haven't donated. Can I answer any questions? Feel free to call 720-253-4727.

No guilt trip, just stating the facts. That is the last thing on our minds. Maybe people don't realize that they haven't donated. Maybe they don't know the current status of the track. Maybe some who don't have access to the forums don't know about donating and their friends can call and let them know.
The phone campaign is all about talking to people about the current status of the track, the whole donation process and what's it's for. The calls are being made by MRA members, aka friends, who plan on informing the members and fielding questions. No pressure. No telemarketers making cold calls about something you don't care about.

Can we please talk about the PR Meeting and the fabulous work that is being done by the volunteers? Or, if you like, let's continue this conversation on another thread. Which ever way, I'm game.

dave.gallant
February 2nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
Guilt trip? Are you feeling guilty? Aaron, I noticed you haven't donated.

I have no idea where he might have gotten that impression.

Really. None.

I am saddened and disappointed in the thought that any one of us is comfortable in taking a free ride and sponging off those of us who have donated until it hurts so that we all can have a quality racing facility here in Colorado.

To have that many racers not donate anything thus far, is crazy! Come on, we spend so much money on crap nowadays. Don't go out to dinner and skip on Starbucks and donate THAT money if you have to. Step it up!

I really don't have much of a horse in this race, and like I expressed in private to the MRA Board, I believe everyone responds better to reasons why they should donate to their club rather than grouping people by "those who have" or "those who have not".

Also, I am sure many of the people on that initial list don't feel one bit guilty for not donating, and to find out why it is as simple as asking them why.

Of course, these are just my opinions.

Now, back to the PR discussion. :)

dave.gallant
February 2nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
Speaking of PR - I think I asked this a bit back and don't remember if there was an answer or not...

( so forgive my memory! )

Do we have any numbers on spectator attendance on a per-weekend basis throughout the past year(s) so we can gauge the success of various PR efforts throughout the 2008 season?

Clarkie
February 2nd, 2008, 10:13 PM
Guilt trip? Are you feeling guilty? Aaron, I noticed you haven't donated.

ding ding we have a winner! See how easy it is to call someone out that hasnt donated 'yet' :roll:

I appreciate how much work Glen has done to get the new track up and running, heck it's one of the reasons he got my vote this year. But I dont appreciate how this is being handled, unlike 90% of the MRA members I guess I have somewhat distorted view of clubs, tracks and ownership of both, maybe that is because I have raced and funded a ton of different clubs and while there are many ways to approach fundraising, peer pressure isnt one of them.

We all have various levels of financial commitments, personally I am trying to decide if I will support the track or attend the banquet as I cant do both, maybe I will do neither.... no I cant do that, because then you will put my name on a list, call me out, tell me I am taking a free ride and sponging off those of you that have donated, hang on, you wouldnt do that would you?

Oh yeah, you already did :roll:

Wahooman
February 2nd, 2008, 10:41 PM
From the meeting notes:
#1--I do believe this is a great idea as we discussed. I still feel it very important to look at the "partnerships" between MRA and anyplace holding our flyers.
As discussed---if the flyer has the business "stamp" or name on it, this can be tracked and recorded for results in spectators. Knowing where people are coming from will help us in future investment.
Along with that and to create the "partnership"....if the flyer can offer/instruct the individual to take the flyer to the race and:
1) Receive $XXX off gate admission
2) Flyer is stamped with a MRA "stamp" and the individual can return to the place of business for XXX% off parts/access, etc.....

Its a 2 way street....shops hold our flyers and distribute them----we hope to see more people at the races----shops get return business!
Of course this the agreement might be different with each shop, but thats easy to determine with speaking to them and having that "coupon" on their individual flyer.

Lastly--
I did like the idea of the discount on race school for a newly "sportbike" purchase. Someone mentioned this would be an added selling point for the dealerships---"....purchase this bike and I can offer you a coupon for $XXX off an instructed road/race school." Maybe this won't fly, but good idea in my opinion.

Those are items that don't take a lot of time, can be done this year, and can be acted on NOW.

Obviously getting the MRA out there is what we want to do. I have visited numerous shops and typically see flyers, posters, cards, etc...for other instruction schools for safety, license, etc....occasionally something for Ricky's school. The MRA school has never been spotted (by me that is.)

Our flyers need to be seen and create presence....the prez's idea of the "stand" to hold flyers and display a poster is a great idea to create this.

Thanks all for the ideas!
Donna I will be getting in touch with you and Dave about getting videos posted.....whether a link, or streaming video on the site.

Thanks.

JWinter
February 3rd, 2008, 06:16 PM
Donna, thanks for listening to me on Sat. I believe that as a club we have to make ourselves more open to the local shops and spectators. The big complaint I hear is that, the MRA is a bunch of people who think they are to cool for everybody! Of course this is not true and I try to be a good ambassador for the club. I am glad to see the PR committee moving forward representing the rest of us.
HPR is going to be a big deal for advertisement, maybe we can approach local shops, and businesses for some form of donation to the track and put up billboards at the track? Of course everybody involved (bike shops, businesses, racers, and spectators) will benefit from having HPR, which without the track, I think the MRA will eventually die off. At least we the club (run by racers) will control our own destiny.
Clarkie, I do see your point! I was struggling with money to race a full season, and I didn't donate any money until the season was over. I didn't like hearing at every riders meeting about who had donated and the rest of us need to get to donating, and yes, I felt bad for not giving right away.
But.... I also have to look at it from the other point of view. Glen and others have worked very hard to benefit us, not themselves with HPR. I would be a little pushy too if I donated tons of time to do what we all wanted, which is a cheap track to use for a long time to come. So in the end I didn't feel that the guilt trip caused me to donate, but the fact that I support something for all of us to enjoy for years to come. And I don't feel that anybody who doesn't donate is a free loader, There will be many new racers in years to come that will not care who gave or not, they will come and go as those before them. And that is o.k. At least we have our own facility!!

My very small two cents, Jeff Winter

nobasin
February 4th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Do we have any numbers on spectator attendance on a per-weekend basis throughout the past year(s) so we can gauge the success of various PR efforts throughout the 2008 season?

yes, this came up at the meeting and we do have those numbers so we can hopefully track the effectiveness of our efforts this year. because there will be multiple PR "campaigns" happening at any one time, it will be somewhat difficult to track all of them directly/individually, but we came up with some ideas to figure out where we are getting the best return on our PR "investments".

dave.gallant
February 4th, 2008, 08:10 AM

yes, this came up at the meeting and we do have those numbers so we can hopefully track the effectiveness of our efforts this year. because there will be multiple PR "campaigns" happening at any one time, it will be somewhat difficult to track all of them directly/individually, but we came up with some ideas to figure out where we are getting the best return on our PR "investments".

Awesome! Thanks for keeping us all posted on the progress.