PDA

View Full Version : A bit of History...

dave.gallant
January 20th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Just for the young lads out there...

We have had many PR committees over the years with varying levels of success. We had people who could give $, we had people who were AMA employees and spent every weekend at AMA races.

Personally, I have been involved with many of them over the last 10 years or so when they were "free form" and volunteer based, and some might remember my bumper stickers that say "ROADRACER" with the green mountains on them, or the 2-FOR-1 hand-out cards given out at the many arena cross's the MRA attended a few years back.

The bumper stickers were a reasonable success, and I believe the 2-FOR-1 gate passes did a decent job as well.

Wyeth Jackson was on KBPI many years ago now, and she did a great job of presenting the sport and the MRA (and, FWIW, she was faster than most of you "fast" guys today so it wasn't a whole lot of BS). The Vickerys and some other select shops always did a great job of promoting the MRA when they got the chance as well, and kept the MRA and racing alive in their culture in their business.

Just as an aside: this website you are sitting on right now gets more hits from around the country in one week than we get all year in spectators at our events, and I believe Mark Nudelman's MRA program is now at a distribution level that puts all previous years to shame. The point is we are are a very marketable organization.

So, there are precedents to follow, and there are a variety of things that have already been done over the years that showed some success and were relatively inexpensive.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that while there is very little reimbursement for the activity put into promoting this club, the more eyes we can get on us on Sunday directly relates to how much sponsorship $ we can dig up for our personal efforts.

Face it - the only way to get real support is to find it from outside our industry, and the only way to get that support is to show them there is a market rich for the picking. If you help create a larger spectator and racer base here in Colorado you will reap the rewards both as an organization but also as an individual racer.

froth
January 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM
Well put. Many thanks to all who have gone before, and those who will follow and then lead.

gsnyder828
January 21st, 2008, 05:48 PM
The biggest thing I miss about trading my old truck in on my new truck is the loss of the "Roadracer" bumper sticker...