PDA

View Full Version : Marketing and PR campaign

glenngsxr
January 17th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I want to get a quick headcount of who would be interested in being a part of this committee? Also, we are on a tight budget so I need to know what resources you have(hook-ups, connections, etc.) as well as any ideas you think will prove to be effective. Thanks, Glenn #62

glenngsxr
January 17th, 2008, 11:32 AM
well would you look at that. Our schedule is up at roadracingworld.com. There is step one. Glenn #62
http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=31083

Wild Cheetah 612
January 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM
You rock, Glenn!
I remember I worked a lot of hours working with Stan Foxworthy at PR events for the MRA at the Pepsi Center during dirtbike events, Fay Meyers, and other places just because I wanted to be a contributing member of the MRA and got nothing out of it but personal satisfaction.

I will be the MRA Board contact for this committee.

glenngsxr
January 17th, 2008, 11:56 AM
great! We have a board contact. Donna, if it gets to that point, can you find out what kind of budget we may be able to come up with? I am not thinking thousands if that's what you are worried about. Could we possibly get around $700? I can make that go pretty far with some of the connections I have. This would be a great start. My first priority is to get a huge banner made that goes everywhere we go on race weekends. We can place it strategically to get passer bys. ie, the exit ramp in Pueblo for hwy. 50! Kinko's makes these for a decent price. Glenn #62

Wild Cheetah 612
January 17th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I'm on it

hcr25
January 17th, 2008, 12:09 PM
well would you look at that. Our schedule is up at roadracingworld.com. There is step one. Glenn #62
http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=31083

I had e mailed it to them before from my AOL account but it must have been blocked or bounced. i sent it from my work e mail and they posted it right away.
mike

clowe
January 17th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Glenn,
Get in touch with me as I have some idea of what we can do here.
Thanks,
Crash

glenngsxr
January 17th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Crash, call you later big boy!
Mike A., Had a feeling it was you, thanks.
Donna, my number is 719-661-1583 if you wanna chat.

glenn #62

jplracing
January 17th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Glenn,

On the other thread I volenteered my time and PM'd Jon who I spoke too this morning.

If you need my contact info PM me

Joe

uberwench
January 17th, 2008, 04:56 PM
You can have any full-sized pictures you want from uber-wheels for the banner and any fliers you want to hand out, just give me a holler.

720-427-0240

Plus I have some ideas but I talk faster than I type.

Margaret

Wild Cheetah 612
January 17th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Here's the deal, PR Committee...

The Board has authorized us a budget of $1000. I will oversee the spending of it. Let's get going!

The Board has been talking the last couple of days on the MRA Board Forums about this (y'all don't see that particular forum pop up when you sign in) and we are all behind this venture. We are appreciative of the skills and time of you members possess that we don't. So far two rider reps (Applehans and I) are on board with this committee. Pretty much the President, VP, Secretary, Treasurer, New Rider Director, Track Marshal, and VP of Rules and Tech have their plates heaping full. Trust me on this, I see what they have to do. We all sincerely thank the efforts of you who have the contacts and skills to make PR and Advertising of our club a successful reality!

Everyone on the Board is always thinking and trying to add positive input to the issues. Kip Book (Track Marshal) came up with the idea of stickers for all of us members to put on our personal vehicles advertising the MRA, but we couldn't think of what would be cool to put on it as Tony's idea was gay.

Alright, who else is with us?

glenngsxr
January 17th, 2008, 06:30 PM
See the kind of resources we came up with in just three hours! Kip has a great idea. Obviously, we would need a sticker that has a picture of a roadracer with the website below it. Our website is one of the best out of all the clubs I have seen(thanks Davey boy). Anytime we direct people to it, we win. I am pretty excited that the board has granted us $1000. Thank you. I assure you it will be well spent. Moreover, I want to create advertising that the league can use for years to come. Flyers are a great short term solution, but after the season is over they become a sunk cost. However, we do need a few to distribute.

Margaret,
For these flyers, I would like some really cool shots with some clean bikes. I always thought Dave Gallant, Crash Lowe, and Jeff Brown had very clean bikes and they would look great on a promotional flyer. Do you have any particular shots of them you like that would format well on a glossy, standard 8.5x11 poster.

Another idea I have is to get two flags made that we can hang outside the gates where we are racing that particular weekend. Outside the pearly white gates of Pueblo would be a great spot(for example).

Donna,
What were some of the things Stan Foxworthy did when he ran this thing? What mistakes did he make and what were some of the successes he had? Glenn #62

Throttleroller277
January 17th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I am willing to help out as well. I don't know a whole lot about advertising, other than putting stickers on my bikes, and promoting my sponsors, but If you need help making phone calls and such, let me know. 8)

Thanks for the clean bike complement too Glenn. 8)

marty
January 17th, 2008, 08:58 PM
If you need help making phone calls and such,

would you do sales calls like your hero roger lee on his Kawi commercial? sorry couldn't resist :lol:

turbohoje
January 17th, 2008, 09:29 PM
there has got to be a way to piggy back our advertisement efforts onto successful channels for sportbike/racing marketing:

i'm never on it, but are the people on the csc aware of the mra? i know there is a track day section on there but maybe there is a better way to make use of the pre-sorted demographic of sportbike riders there. i'm on a couple forums, but i dont read threads that directly relate to me [yet].

how about this, work with dealerships to give them kickbacks on sending riders our way. so say on a model year bike purchase (which the dealer likes), the dealer would hand out a coupon for 50% off membership dues with the mra.
that person when they sign up presents that coupon to the mra and the 50% of the dues (or large part of) are paid back to the dealership. now the club made no money on gaining a new racer, but they will have to register for a race at some point. now someone else knows about the club, will prbly go to a rider school (sorry mark this may fill schools) and tell someone else that they are going to do it. at the very least its some incentive to get the dealerships hand out coupons.
this might be a dumb idea in that i dont know what kind of overhead this places on the existing member infrastructure. but if it seems like a decent idea, i will manage getting unique coupons in dealers hands for distribution. when some of those come back, i will help count and total the payouts.

Jon
January 17th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Sounds like you boys and girls got it handled, Thanks for considering me and let me know how I can help. I'm still willing to get those posters printed up and distributed. I think that distributing and displaying them at M/C Dealerships close to the programs works best. I always supplied a box with several for fans to take home as well, that way friends and family members are reminded of the upcoming events,location and etc.
As I have a good re pore with Jay at Giacomo's as I've probably bought more food than most there, I'd like to be the one to speak with him. All Hotels, Auto Part stores, car audio, Hot Rod/Tire and wheel shops would be my choices for distribution as well. I believe though a good idea, displaying a banner across the highway would probably catch negative flack from the DOT and boys in grey/blue.
There several other ideas that I have and if you guys have a meeting I'd be willing to discuss, A reminder to the various shops in the area of the upcoming events doesn't hurt as they can often arrange maybe a early morning ride that ends up at the track for a days worth of racing. Those of you who are sponsored by these shops can certainly raise interest. Rather it be displaying your pit set-up and racebike during a weekend prior to the race weekend or having the parts guy/ service tech or manager single out sportbike riders and telling them about you who's sponsored by them, it all helps. It's all about getting the word out and putting it in peoples face. I've had many folks from bankers, lawyers and real estate agents, dentists and etc. come watch. Some thought I was crazy so thought not, but regardless it leaves and impression that's spoken about. I gotten positive feedback on some of my antics through the years. The posters and swag handed out at Pueblo along with Kim and Teresa (the umbrella girls) raised an eyebrow or two and have them lined up this season as well. Once we get all this going I don't see a way in hell that we can't get some success but feel that once we get them there, it's up to us as a club from announcing, to just plane professionalism to keep them coming back.
From racing across the country both professionally and at the amateur level, I beleive the MRA's a pretty good show. Most bikes look pretty good but from getting sponsorship they should look great. If your bikes dirty and your pits a mess, it doesn't promote the big show image. There's a few in the club that have that stuff nailed, there's a few that can work on it. I promise the big show looks promote a good image that helps bring new sponsors for both the club and you individual riders.

turbohoje
January 17th, 2008, 09:59 PM
putting the bikes in the shop is a sweet idea.
presentable racebikes in the dealership with the dealers stickers, mra stickers and such would accomplish multiple things. first off the dealer may dig it, the mra stickers on it would help since there is regular traffic in dealers, and any other sponsors on the bike would get more exposure as well.

i dont suppose there is much room for this, its not like we can all play this card, but i dig it. i call the 104th copow

DingleBerns
January 17th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Just a quick side note, Joe L. has already had his bike in Performance Cycle at the end of the 07 season so it can be done. Joe did the bike bring Don, the owner, any questions about the MRA?

jplracing
January 18th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Dingle,

I have been sponserd by Performance for several years. As a thank you I place my race bike in his shop every year during his street gear sale (around thanksgiving)

Every year there is a ton of interest in the bike with many people taking pics with there kids. Normally I have a metric shit ton of finger prints to clean off the bike after the weekend

Donnie is well aware of who the MRA is and normally sponsers AMO every year. So no it doesn't really generate any questions from him, however it does gerenerate questions from his customers.

Even though it is already suggested a "Meet and Greet" displaying bikes/riders/posters in the local shops is a great way to generate some interest as well as a great way to network with the shops for sponsership.

Joe

nobasin
January 18th, 2008, 08:06 AM
i just reeled in one of colorado's major PR players...lee hart from Brandamp Communications. www.brandamp.com. she's totally willing to help us out (i'm trading her some web services) and it also turns out she's an ex motor-head: she used to wrench for her drag racing dad as a kid. her father actually got into drag bikes for a while, and she waxed poetically about the crazy power of her dads kawi H1 two stroke...i think she's the perfect fit! she gets the motorcycle crowd, and she's super connected in the media world as you can see by the work on her site. she's willing to come to our marketing committee meetings and contribute. donna, pm me as you put together a meeting schedule for us to get together and i'll make sure lee is there.

mike-

Throttleroller277
January 18th, 2008, 08:28 AM
i call the 104th copow

Justin,
Donnie is in full support of the racing. I have had my bike on display up there a couple times. I agree we should do more of this.

8)

DingleBerns
January 18th, 2008, 09:11 AM
So no it doesn't really generate any questions from him, however it does gerenerate questions from his customers.

Joe

That's what I intended to say was the customers, not Don himself. I think its a great way to start and it's FREE! If we could get multiple bikes in multiple shops, There's no question that the number of dealer customers that become aware of the MRA would increase dramatically.

Dingle

Clarkie
January 18th, 2008, 09:20 AM
My bike has been in Fay Myers for a while, looking a lot more purdy that it did all season :wink:

JimWilson29
January 18th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I have had my bike on display at Grand Prix Motorsports a few times in the past couple years and I continue to put MRA programs out for customers when I am there every week. Unfortunately they seem to get shuffled to the bottom with all the SRAC and RMXA stuff, but when they are visible they usually get snatched up pretty quickly.

DingleBerns
January 18th, 2008, 09:38 AM
i'm never on it, but are the people on the csc aware of the mra? i know there is a track day section on there but maybe there is a better way to make use of the pre-sorted demographic of sportbike riders there. i'm on a couple forums, but i dont read threads that directly relate to me [yet].

I'm on there pretty much everyday reading their post, sometimes replying, but I do believe they are aware of the MRA. I wonder if Ralph, Spiderman, or Scott can make a MRA sticky thread under the track day section or where ever else you guys think. I can take the lead on this part and post up MRA upcoming events. If not, I can still make threads but they won't be sticky...any thoughts?

turbohoje
January 18th, 2008, 10:11 AM

I'm on there pretty much everyday reading their post, sometimes replying, but I do believe they are aware of the MRA. I wonder if Ralph, Spiderman, or Scott can make a MRA sticky thread under the track day section or where ever else you guys think. I can take the lead on this part and post up MRA upcoming events. If not, I can still make threads but they won't be sticky...any thoughts?

cool. i dont know if i was making any sense, but i dont usually check threads that dont directly relate to me. if there was a tyrone biggums $400k free crack giveaway posted in the sv section of a forum, i would totally miss it because i tend to only check other sections. would sponsoring a banner be worth while? (i think its been done but just using that as an example)

my main point was to target the demographics that are already into sportbikes. foot traffic in a dealership, csc forum so forth. are those '303 riders' around anymore?

jplracing
January 18th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I think the majority of the active CSC members are aware of the MRA and normally someone posts that up comming MRA events.

I don't think a banner would hurt and I would assume that Bob/Ralph would not charge much if anything to post a banner link

DingleBerns
January 18th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I think the majority of the active CSC members are aware of the MRA and normally someone posts that up comming MRA events.

Joe, is it just random people posting these events...do you think a MRA section would be worth while?

dragos13
January 18th, 2008, 10:37 AM
how can we get more MRA stickers? I know we receive some at the beginning of the year with our license, but what about more?

Also, once the fliers are made, how can we go about getting those also? I would love to post them up around work, etc. Maybe we can start running an advertisement in Craigs, or like stated above, in the CSC forum.

glenngsxr
January 18th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Casey,
Me and Jon are gonna work on the flyers sometime next week at which point we will look at the distribution of them. As far as the stickers go, we are in the design process of making them. We are looking at making something more informational than the traditional MRA stickers. Probably a logo with the website below it. I would think that a banner on the CSC site could be effective as long as it is at or near free. If we have to pay to much for it, I don't think it's a wise use of money. Most of the people on CSC know of the MRA already. I do think the race bikes inside the dealerships is brilliant. I was in Fay Myers a month ago and there were people looking at Clarkie's bike the whole time. They do draw attention. Let's try to keep this campaign on task as well. Remember, we are not necessarily trying to increase racer numbers, but spectators and fans instead. Glenn #62

Clarkie
January 18th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I was in Fay Myers a month ago and there were people looking at Clarkie's bike the whole time.

Shit I hope they didnt sell it yet, I think I'm gonna need it :lol:

giovannir6
January 18th, 2008, 11:31 AM
What about Fox Sports Rocky Mountain? They had some show on this morning about racing clubs in Colorado. Mostly about cars and vintage racing but its all about Colorado racing. :?:

Wild Cheetah 612
January 18th, 2008, 11:41 AM
What about Fox Sports Rocky Mountain? They had some show on this morning about racing clubs in Colorado. Mostly about cars and vintage racing but its all about Colorado racing. :?:

Anyone have any contacts in Fox?

glenngsxr
January 18th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I have a contact in CBS that I will get in touch with. Also, I have been in contact with 5280, the mile high magazine, and they seem fairly interested thus far. I will keep all updated. Thus far, we have dedicated ourselves to banners, flyers, and more bikes in dealerships(thanks Nude). Oh, and I think it's worth mentioning that we have already come up with great ideas and have used exactly $0 of our alotted budget. Nice job folks. Glenn #62

oldtimer
January 18th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Throwing out ideas here...

So race attendance would probably be better if there was a way to remind the database of attendees that there is a race "this weekend". Mailers are expensive, so how to do that cheaply....

Well, email is a cheap way to contact people. Would it be possible for Dave to add something on this website where interested persons could leave their email address? Start a database of email addresses. Then set up some sort of an automatic blast email to go out to that list a few days in advance of a race weekend. That could even be done in Outlook with a list, the biggest issue would be collecting the email addresses and assembling them. It would be an additional way to stay in front of the target audience on a periodic basis.

cosp600rr
January 18th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Hey Glenn I would be willing to help out in any way that I can whether its to hand out flyers and posters or whatever. I could also put my bike at a dealer or some place to attract attention. I just got a new one so its all clean and pretty. Let me know if you need any help. Mat #115

uberwench
January 18th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I've got LOTS of pictures of Crash, Dave, and Jeff's bikes. There are many many many other eye catching bikes you can use - Applehans, Shannon, Brad Hendry, Pedro's & Ricky's Kawis, the Syndicate boys, Dwayne Shawver, Caveman, Clarkie, Donna's "Animal"...I'm just getting started.

I think if you put up pictures of flashy bikes in places where they're not expected - like office breakroom bulletin boards, for example - they'll get attention. A poster with an easy-to-read schedule and map to the venue, and you're on your way to paying gate.

Some other ideas: Promote the family outing aspect, and/or something to do with friends or relatives in from out of town. During the summer when kids are out of school, having a destination outing like a motorcycle race is something most kids would LOVE to do (trust me on this one, I have three kids). Somebody's got to take them (and thus pay), and if they go and have fun, they'll want Mom and Dad to bring them back, and maybe some of Mom and Dad's friends/neighbors and their kids.

Two words: Umbrella girls. Hey, it works.

Get the word out on the Ladies of the Rockies class. Women on bikes are a fast growing market, and there's a lot of interest in it. And come on, what guy is going to say no when his significant other says, "Honey, I want to go watch a motorcycle race! Wanna go?"

Meet-n-greets are a great way to get people interested. When area motorcycle shops have their "events", I'm sure they'd be happy to have several MRA folks and their bikes on display, answering questions and handing out info. They want to bring people into the store, so the more attractions the better.

last...I've got a contact at 9News that did a segment on Rocky Mountain Rowing Club after Masters Nationals last August - we got tons of calls and email inquiries after it aired. I'll get in touch with her and see if they're interested.

Margaret

jplracing
January 18th, 2008, 04:38 PM

Joe, is it just random people posting these events...do you think a MRA section would be worth while?

No normally it is either Bob or Scott that post the upcomming MRA event.

I will talk with Bob and see what can be done about getting the MRA its own section and a banner link

Joe

turbohoje
January 18th, 2008, 04:41 PM
does anybody work a state job where there is a baller ass zerox machine that will copy and fold?

jplracing
January 18th, 2008, 05:03 PM
[/quote]

No normally it is either Bob or Scott that post the upcomming MRA event.

I will talk with Bob and see what can be done about getting the MRA its own section and a banner link

Joe[/quote]

Dingle,

Talked with Bob. He is going to work on getting the MRA its own section on the CSC this weekend.

In terms of a banner add we will talk to Ralph (since he owns the server, etc..) and see what he will do

Joe

1ofTheBoys
January 18th, 2008, 07:36 PM
How about not just posters with the events on them, but a poster with all twelve months along with the MRA dates, etc. This way people not only put them up in their home offices but also in the work office where others may see it.

Or a calendar magnet that is put on a fridge, etc.

DingleBerns
January 18th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Dingle,
Talked with Bob. He is going to work on getting the MRA its own section on the CSC this weekend.
Joe

Well, looks like Bob is ahead of the game and already got it done before the weekend. Thanks Bob! I will try to be the first to post the upcoming events unless Bob or Ralph beat me to it...and anything else that pertains to the MRA.

Dingle

nobasin
January 19th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Get the word out on the Ladies of the Rockies class.

this is a huge area to promote...dudes racing motorcycles is old news, but a women's only class in colorado is totally something news channels and other media outlets would do a feature on because it's actually interesting and unique...bad-ass looking road racing women blasting around colorado tracks at 160+ mph. i know some of the photo guys too have some absolutely killer shots of i think it was sascha? (sorry if i got that wrong) dusting some dude on an inside line at pueblo, pony tails hanging out. that shot is perfect for some promo material. promoting LOR is a great opportunity to bring in new and different markets of both spectators AND racers.

loujr
January 19th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I was only 5 years old but I remember an MRA bike show at Currigan (sp?) Expo Hall in 1985 or so, the only reason I remember that is I have pics of my dad's race bike in the show. I know that there is always Car Shows in parking lots, ect. Maybe this is another idea that might be able to get noticed. Just a thought.

JWinter
January 20th, 2008, 10:35 PM
My bike has been on display off and on up at Interstate Honda, and gets alot of attention because people know its a GP 125, but then they look closer and see the 450 motor!! Interstate Honda has a good relationship with Red Bull and they plan on Red Bull coming in on the HPR opening weekend to grill food and have drinks. I plan on sending out fliers to Interstate Honda customers about the HPR weekend.

Also back in 2005 I worked for Brannan Sand and Gravel in Denver, the company agreed to let me put MRA advertisement on the drums of the concrete trucks!! But by the time Bart had them made up, I parted company with Brannan. I still have these large stickers and I will talk to some people in the industry and see if I can get these stickers out on some trucks, concrete trucks make great moving bill boards.

Let me know if I can help in any other way, or if anyone wants me to ask Interstate Honda for any favors!!

Cheers, Jeff