PDA

View Full Version : Gate fee's???

TBSgraphics
January 11th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Since we are racing sprints on saturday, is the club going to charge gate fee on saturday also?
IF so, will the crew passes be good for both days?

gixxermike
January 13th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I asked the same question about a week ago, I think they're ignoring us 00--00

The GECCO
January 13th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Nah, we just haven't decided yet how this will be handled.

Budd435
January 15th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Being an ex-MRA racer, could I get in free? A discount?
Actually, I don't mind paying the gate fee. I know my money is going to a good cause.
Here is an idea for us MRA race fans, $10 each day or buy an all weekend pass for $15 each person. Kids 12 and under free or discounted.

Jon
January 15th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Here's an idea. Go for sheer numbers, promote the living crap out of the event and try and make it the biggest damn thing since sliced bread. The MRA has done very little promotion in recent years and I for one volunteer to try and get the word out. Between Auto and Motorcycle dealers, Auto parts stores, resturants, radio and Friday newspapers, I'd bet we could triple the number of spectators we have show up. In a recent RRW article Henry Degough (Sp?) was interviewed about how he got people to the track and the success he'd had beating on a few doors and etc. The club due to it's declining membership and etc. has forgone alot of what we've had in recent years. Hell, rememeber Mark Woodward the MileHigh mouth? His professionalism made stars out of us racers and added alot to the program. You get the people to the track then you give them a show they won't soon forget all for $10 per adult kids under 12 free. I assure you they'll be back. Hell ARHMA's get 40,000+ people to Mid Ohio every year to watch old beat up bikes run around. The annoucing plays a huge roll and though Jim and Tony are great guys I think we can agree there maybe better. Sorry Jim and Tony but hey how about some new jokes? Just kidding but yes I would and will stick my neck out on a limb and say that I alone with a few friends truly beleive we could do better but $15 is a bit steep in my opinion to have to sit through the Sportsman class.

T Baggins
January 16th, 2008, 08:35 AM
We're discussing this in the Board forum, and will have an answer here shortly.

Most likely it will be a single fee for the weekend, regardless of which day you arrive. We'll have to go back to "religious use" of armbands which everyone will have to wear (racers too) so we know who has paid/or had their card punched and not have too much brain damage for the gate staff.

I'm all for growing the specator numbers, but radio and print advertising are way more expensive than you all probably think. If anyone would like to take this on and get us (the board) some solid proposals and costs - we would welcome any information you can provide. Remember, though, that with increased specators comes the need for additional security - and the minimal additional revenue generated thru gate fees would have to balance out in the long run. Info cards to be left at restaurants, dealers, etc... would be much less expensive - and probably more effective - so if we could get some help distributing them, that would probably be the most cost-effective route.

Jim and I have often stated that we make up for a lack of talent by providing reliable data - especially with regard to lap times and "gaps" between racers. For what it's worth, the MRA used to spend over $500 a weekend to have the races announced (when there were two announcers) and that was ONLY for the Sunday races. I already get paid as the VP of the club, so would never consider "double dipping" to announce - and good 'ole Mr. Brewer has never asked for a penny for his services, even with announcing the races on both Saturday and Sunday.

Clearly you get what you pay for. :oops:

dave.gallant
January 16th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Just as an aside:

Are you guys able to share how much $ does the gate fee bring in on average per weekend? (if not, no big deal - I am just curious)

Obviously there is a diminishing returns if gate fees were lowered (eg: 50% gate fee but expected 200% spectator turnout), but do we have the data to look year over year the average spectator turnout to do a quick correlation between "current events" (economy, track location, etc) and spectator turnout?

Here is another question:

What if spectating was free? How would that impact the club financially?

glenngsxr
January 16th, 2008, 10:05 AM
FWIW,
I have offered to do a lot of print advertising and radio advertising because I have hookups in both areas, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. It seems like our best spectator weekend is the opening weekend at Pueblo. After that, it falls off drastically. Of course, the price elasticity of attendance is directly correlated to economic conditions. I imagine the spectator turnout will be even lower this year if we raise the gate fee. In addition, it seems as if most of our spectators are family and pit help rather than actual spectators. Maybe if we had a huge banner made with some graphics that we could put outside the main road where we are racing that weekend could we get some passer bys. I think our biggest problem with attendance is the fact that most people don't even know we are racing, or exist for that matter. However, if the board is still interested in doing some of this advertising, the offer still stands. As far as the weekend gate fees goes, I think $5 each day or $8 for a weekend pass would be a good idea. any thoughts? Glenn#62

turbohoje
January 16th, 2008, 11:13 AM
just some random thoughts here:

what if you had a "family pass" gate option. like a family pass is $35 and gets 1 veichle in the door. say your avg car might be able to hold 5 or 6, but this makes an incentive for motorcycle racing to be a social event where you hang out with your friends and so forth.

or perhaps a discount if they show up on a bike. like half the gate fee. the idea here would be its ppl who already ride (and it might inspire them to join and race their bike).

if one more racer joins the club and races 10 times thats worth 300 ppl coming in to spectate.

sheet peter-man. i'm talking out my ass. i'll go back to watching channell 9

glenngsxr
January 16th, 2008, 11:51 AM
just some random thoughts here:

what if you had a "family pass" gate option. like a family pass is $35 and gets 1 veichle in the door. say your avg car might be able to hold 5 or 6, but this makes an incentive for motorcycle racing to be a social event where you hang out with your friends and so forth.

or perhaps a discount if they show up on a bike. like half the gate fee. the idea here would be its ppl who already ride (and it might inspire them to join and race their bike).

if one more racer joins the club and races 10 times thats worth 300 ppl coming in to spectate.

sheet peter-man. i'm talking out my ass. i'll go back to watching channell 9

Everyone in this room is now dumber for having heard what you just said(Billy Madison). snakes, elk, the interstate, interstellar travel, steel mills, etc. Justin, how goes it?

nobasin
January 16th, 2008, 01:09 PM
free PR is the way to go instead of spending money on advertising. there must be people in the club who have PR connections or work in the industry. i have a biz associate who is always getting my clients press in outside magazine, 9 news denver, crap like that, all for free. if we have a stock press release to give to these folks, they can get us into magazines (local and national), get local news features on the club, a blurb in westword, that sort of thing. hell, i didn't even know the MRA existed until i started looking for a race bike, and i found the club via a blog post. safe to say, the club could use more exposure. and who wouldn't pay $10 to come get their pelvis shattered and their truck destroyed while standing by the buttonhook if they actually knew about us? now that's entertainment. anybody ever follow up on that guy? is he ok?

jplracing
January 16th, 2008, 01:18 PM
. anybody ever follow up on that guy? is he ok?

Matty is doing much better since the bike landed on him.

In fact the a couple of the motorcycle groups are having a benefit this weekend to help with his medical expenses

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18375

Joe

The GECCO
January 16th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Dave - a "good" weekend is about 300 paid spectators, average is probably closer to 150-200. I think the most we've ever had was a couple of SCR events that drew ~600 people. At $10 per head, the average is roughly the same as the entry fees of 10 racers. Remember that even if we stop charging, we still have to hire the gate staff to make sure people are signing the waivers.

Regarding the advertising - This is a recurring theme, where people say "We (the MRA) should do XYZ" and then complain when it doesn't happen. It's not reasonable to think that simply suggesting something means that the board (or anyone else) is going to take the ball and run. Please remember that the board is made up of volunteers who also have full time jobs, spouses, kids, etc, in addition to their normal MRA duties (that don't come to a halt during the off-season). This is YOUR club, if you really want it to be healthy then it will take a little effort.

If you have ideas, hookups, etc, please USE them. If you have a way to get free advertising done, write up a press release, ad, whatever, and send it to the board, along with a list of people/organizations you want to submit it to, for approval. I can't imagine we'd say no, but we do need to retain some authority over the message that is being sent out to represent the club.

Jon
January 16th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Hey Glenn,
I'm game to help in any way I can in getting the MRA advertised and will be working on this and throwing some ideas out there. Using other organizations ideas as well as using the local businesses. I've spoken with Jay the manager of Giocomo's and they are happy to offer a discount on food and as we know, we already get a discount on lodging in the area. These businesses plus others are assets and believe we should take advantage of tag teaming.
I propose a meeting of Glenn Carlson, and others (including myself) to throw around ideas and come up with a solid proposal that we can not only present to the board, but get started on so that we can be in place prior to the first race weekend. Hell, I'll even throw down and buy dinner as I think we can and will make a difference. We've already got the gate people so why not get our moneys worth with them. Of course, we'll have to police them and make sure they are getting the wafers signed, people are paying and etc. But promotion now will only help when the new tracks built.

The GECCO
January 16th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks for throwing that out, Jon. The next board meeting is on the 11th of February, if you could have something ready to present by then it would still leave plenty of time for implementation.

Also, if you want, you can forward from preliminary ideas to me and I can put them in from of the board prior to the meeting.

glenngsxr
January 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I am game for that, Jon. Where do you live? I live in Parker now so it's a little easier for me to make meetings and such for the club now. Possibly sometime next week would be best for me. Glenn #62

Clarkie
January 16th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I can't imagine we'd say no, but we do need to retain some authority over the message that is being sent out to represent the club.

That's why i can never do a press release for the MRA :lol:

The GECCO
January 16th, 2008, 04:20 PM
...and why I've been tempted to duct tape your pie hole while you're AT the track! :D :lol: :D

polar x
January 16th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Regarding the advertising - This is a recurring theme, where people say "We (the MRA) should do XYZ" and then complain when it doesn't happen. It's not reasonable to think that simply suggesting something means that the board (or anyone else) is going to take the ball and run. Please remember that the board is made up of volunteers who also have full time jobs, spouses, kids, etc, in addition to their normal MRA duties (that don't come to a halt during the off-season). This is YOUR club, if you really want it to be healthy then it will take a little effort.

If you have ideas, hookups, etc, please USE them. If you have a way to get free advertising done, write up a press release, ad, whatever, and send it to the board, along with a list of people/organizations you want to submit it to, for approval. I can't imagine we'd say no, but we do need to retain some authority over the message that is being sent out to represent the club.

As you know I ran for pres based on raising more membership. My thoughts were just what have been presented. But I have to say BS on your reply Glen. You are paid for the position of Pres. And in that capacity it is your responsibility to do what is in the best interest of this club and currently membership should be first and foremost at the top of that list. Again this is my opinion but I think alot of people share it.
If you were a NON paid volunteer I would agree with you. But you are paid to do a job and as such I think that this is part of it. And please don't take this as an attack against Glen. I am just stating my opinion on his comment.

If we don't get membership up, a new track is not going to do shit for us. When we have no one to race with or can not afford to race due to low membership and high cost.

Clarkie
January 16th, 2008, 05:02 PM
...and why I've been tempted to duct tape your pie hole while you're AT the track! :D :lol: :D

wouldn't be the first time :lol: :lol: :lol:

TBSgraphics
January 16th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Dave - a "good" weekend is about 300 paid spectators, average is probably closer to 150-200. I think the most we've ever had was a couple of SCR events that drew ~600 people.

Pretty sad if you think 600 was the best in recent years.

When I first raced with the MRA at MEAD(CDR) in 98' opening day we had over 3K paid gate fee's...

What happened from then to now?
ALL other clubs continue to grow as we slowly die away, hoping that the new track will save us, when you, yourself has said that even most of the local dealerships dont even know about the new track being built, How will potental new member know?

What was the membership numbers from 2004-05-06-07?
in 04' our worst turn out at La junta was probally better then our best turn out last year?

I know the recent events of losing 4 tracks, and the competition from miller, has had a HUGE inpact but nothing has been done to counter-act that, but the club(the paid board members) continues to be reactive, instead of PRO-active when addressing the long term gaols of the club.

BUT really the only thing I was looking for an answer for was, Do our families pay for both days? opr will our crew pass work all weekend?

nobasin
January 16th, 2008, 05:40 PM
If you have ideas, hookups, etc, please USE them. If you have a way to get free advertising done, write up a press release, ad, whatever, and send it to the board,

ok, fair enough. i've already talked with my friend, and she is happy to do a little trade with me to get some press for the club. as the start of the season approaches, she'll see what rags she can get us some exposure in, or if one of the denver news stations will do a feature on the club.

it seems that there should be more to promoting the club than just some members doing what they can with their connections. having a small marketing budget or at least a marketing plan seems like a logical thing for the club to have if it hasn't had that in the past. it's a good step to get the board formally addressing this.

Wild Cheetah 612
January 16th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Chris!

Hey! You're brilliant! You did in fact run on the platform of raising membership. I would like to preview what you will be able to do as a future president of the MRA. Like I told you, I did vote for you last election.

I see the ton of work Glenn does for the club, the hours of paperwork, the endless CAMA, MRA Board, MRA General, City Council, County Permit, CMSC Meetings he attends, the brainstorming sessions, the "Johnny on the Spot" tasks at the track during race weekends, the daily presence on the forums to answer to the membership, the constant phone calls, I could go on ad nauseum. The pay he receives is probably around $2/hr. at best.

I propose you head up the group I see forming on this thread and mount a strong campaign to get the MRA name out to attract not only new members, but the spectators and cornerworkers that will surely follow!

I'm serious, Chris, we, the Board, can't do it all. We need the members to rally around especially this issue of MRA Advertisement. It's a huge job that no one to this day has successfully accomplished. Are you willing to pony up and put in the serious work it would require?

With all due respect,
Donna

Budd435
January 16th, 2008, 07:13 PM
We all agree advertising is needed. I personaly have called the news station's hotlines before to let them know about upcoming MRA races.

How about a printable MRA "approved" flyer posted up here, that anyone can download, print and hand out?
I would make one up, but I am not creative enough.

The GECCO
January 16th, 2008, 07:18 PM

As you know I ran for pres based on raising more membership. My thoughts were just what have been presented. But I have to say BS on your reply Glen. You are paid for the position of Pres. And in that capacity it is your responsibility to do what is in the best interest of this club and currently membership should be first and foremost at the top of that list. Again this is my opinion but I think alot of people share it.
If you were a NON paid volunteer I would agree with you. But you are paid to do a job and as such I think that this is part of it. And please don't take this as an attack against Glen. I am just stating my opinion on his comment.

If we don't get membership up, a new track is not going to do shit for us. When we have no one to race with or can not afford to race due to low membership and high cost.

Yes, Chris, I am paid to do the job of President, as some other board members are paid to do theirs. Broken down into an hourly rate the figure is so low I'd be embarrassed to print it. None of the position descriptions in the bylaws assigns Public Relations or any other type of advertising duties. The bylaws do, however, charge the board as a whole with creating and overseeing committees that may be necessary to accomplish duties and goals not covered by the duties assigned to the board members. Many, many different variations of PR committes have come and gone since I joined the club. There was only one effort, by a single individual, that I would even describe as serious, the rest seemed to wither away once people realized the hours and effort involved.

We're talking about two different things here - spectator attendance and racer membership. This club would survive without spectators, but we need more racers. The racers went away largely because the tracks went away, I challenge anyone to refute that. The spectators went away because with less racers, there are less people telling their friends to come watch. This club will not survive without a new facility regardless of how good a PR campaign we throw out there. So, what I have done that is in the best interests of this club is try to get us a new track. I started in the fall of 2003, when I was a rider rep and then President Andrew Drattlo appointed me to attend the CMC meetings in his place because the new track part of it would have taken up too much of his time. The creation of CAMA about a year later was the result of the Presidents of the five clubs (that owned the lease at SCR) feeling that the CMC was not the proper legal entity for owning such a valuable asset.

So, to toot my own horn a bit and put things in perspective - In the last four years:

- I've logged a conservative 800 hours on this project, in CAMA and CMC meetings, conference calls and other meetings, and not including the time spent reading and writing literally thousands of emails that can't accurately be accounted for.

- I've spent over $2000 of my own money on fuel driving a little over 16,000 miles to meetings and other activities related to the new track project.

- I've spent about $1200 of my own money on food and beverages while at these meetings, because they almost always happen immediately after work and last for several hours.

- I donated another $1000, mine was literally the first donation received in the CAMA PO box in Phoenix. I also talked my folks into donating $12,000 (the MRA's single largest contributor to date) and they are also putting $50,000 towards the loan program.

So, if you add all that to my "normal" duties that are spelled out in the MRA bylaws, I think the implication that I may not have done enough for this club is nothing short of absurd.

But, back on topic - what was your grand plan to increase membership? Is there some reason that you cannot carry it out? I would suggest you attend the meeting that Jon Glaefke is putting together and volunteer to be the chair of what I suspect will become the PR committee for 2008. Since you will be able to concentrate on nothing but that and not have to deal with the rest of the board issues it should be a terrific success, and I hope for nothing less. Seriously, I do, I would like nothing more than for the club to grow (to a point), but as just one person with a plate that's already pretty full, I can only do so much. The same goes for the rest of the board. We need help, we need the members to get involved instead of sitting back and pointing out the work that needs to be done.

polar x
January 16th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Donna I do take what you say with respect. honestly I do.

BUT, :wink: Here we go.
It is not my job to do what I and many others feel is the boards job. After talking with someone else on the board I understand where and what the direction of the group was and can see their point. But with that said they can see "our" point that you will get members by promoting the club through marketing, news reports and attendance at the events. Now granted it is kinda hard to promote attendance to only one track.
But what is wrong with getting the name of the MRA out to the groups that can promote us? I know you are not saying don't do it, but saying go out there and do it Mr non paid MRA member while the paid board does what they deem as more important work. What I am saying is that I think the board needs to reexamine what the priorities are for this club to survive.

Personally I don't think it should be up to those of us who, through the cost of our racing, pay the boards salary. The group has an expectation of the board to do what is in the groups best interest and I am sure the board does that, but clearly not on this matter.

What is it that the rider reps do that keeps them so busy that they can not take this on and recruit the people that have offered to help? We have 4 reps that could split this up as a goal and run with it with the help of the group. I realize the reps are not "paid" but it is a compensated position and as such does fall into the board responsibilities. Now don't take that as throwing it back on you, but it is a reasonable thought. You, the board, want me or someone else to rally round this and run with it when the board has shown it to be something they don't deem as important.

If I had won the nomination, this would have been my first priority. I would have sought out someone in the membership with writing skills and someone with media/advertising contacts. I would have created a marketing position with some type of compensation to spearhead the process. That person would be required to obtain board approval before proceeding with the contact. This position would be required to provide the results to the board and to the membership.

So with that said, will you still vote for me next time :?: 8)

I really want to impress upon you and the rest of this group that I am NOT attacking you, or the board. I know that Glen, Tony, and the rest are busy. We are not told what the board does, but I am sure it is more than any of us can ever understand.

The GECCO
January 16th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Pretty sad if you think 600 was the best in recent years.

When I first raced with the MRA at MEAD(CDR) in 98' opening day we had over 3K paid gate fee's...
Attendance at Mead was always stellar, maybe it had something to do with being able to see it from the interstate? :roll: If you are implying that it was that way everywhere, you are flat wrong.

What happened from then to now?
ALL other clubs continue to grow as we slowly die away, hoping that the new track will save us, when you, yourself has said that even most of the local dealerships dont even know about the new track being built, How will potental new member know?
Because the new track will have a PR campaign all it's own, and I'm sure there will be at least SOME TV and newspaper coverage of the construction and opening.

What was the membership numbers from 2004-05-06-07?
in 04' our worst turn out at La junta was probally better then our best turn out last year?
Not even close. While overall membership numbers (ie, the total number of licensed racers) has dropped considerably, the average number of racers at each event has not suffered nearly as badly. In my opinion, and based on the results of the poll we sent out with the membership packets last year, what has happened is the less serious racers (ie, 1-3 events per year) saw less incentive to dedicate resources to a part time hobby and went away, where the core group of "every event" racers only dropped off about 20%-25%, as did overall racer entries.

I know the recent events of losing 4 tracks, and the competition from miller, has had a HUGE inpact but nothing has been done to counter-act that, but the club(the paid board members) continues to be reactive, instead of PRO-active when addressing the long term gaols of the club.
So, we agree that the main reason for the membership drop off is the closing of facilities, but you assert that nothing has been done to counter act that? REALLY?

polar x
January 16th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Glen you seem a bit defensive about this. Like I said earlier, this was NOT an attack on you, but an opinion of what I (and I speak only for me) think you (the paid board) should be concentrating on.

I have no grand plan but what the others on this thread have stated. I would have utilized someone in the group. Established board leadership and let them pick someone in the group to be compensated as head of the marketing effort.

Glen I do not deny that you have made it your goal to have a new track for us. That is a very important part of this club, but so is membership. We will get racers from promoting ourselves to the city. I have never seen a article for the MRA in road racer world, why is that? CCS, CMRA all have their schedules posted. Arroyo even has an article in there. We need to promote this club or there will not be anyone to race at the new track. MRA promotion must have board leadership behind it to be successful. "Leading by example"

I have never said you have not done enough for this club, nor did I imply that. I think the BOARD needs to look at the problem in a different light and re-examine what is important to the club and its survival. That's not asking to much.

I don't think anyone is refuting the lose of tracks equals the lose of racers. The question is "what is being done to stop the loss and bring the racers back?" The new track is not going to be a magic pill for growth. You have said in the past that even the dealerships don't know about the new track. Well if they don't know about the track, they sure as hell don't know about us. And THAT is the problem.

You said the By-laws allow you to oversee and create a committee. Has that been done since the start of us loosing tracks? Why does this board think that marketing this club is not a priority?

If I am here, I will attend the meeting with Jon, and share ideas. But if its not that important to the board why should it be important to me or any other member? Without the leadership and support of the board, there can't be any meaningful direction for the group.

As for the rest of it, cudos to you and your family! I wish I could say the same thing. My parents would have to die for me to see that kinda coin, let alone have it to give away.

So as I stated earlier in the thread. THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK ON YOU.

Clarkie
January 16th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I have a question, what are the duties of the rider reps away from the track? Donna does a great job of talking to new and old racers, a friend of mine last year at the Miller MRA race was blown away when she came and asked him if he had any questions, concerns etc. while another rider rep told me they only do it to get free entries

Since they get free entries, which can add up to between 2-3k a year, what do they do when there isnt a weekend race or new rider school? not pointing fingers, just wondering how it works as other clubs I am invoved with have asked me how the MRA system works

jplracing
January 16th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that the board of today and the boards in the past have worked hard and given there best to the club but unfortunatly, there efforts are not communicated directly to the majority of the members. I think in addition to marketing to new racers/members for club growth, we need to come up with a way to communicate with the existing members in an effort to retain the ones we have. Personally, I have tried to attend many of the meetings in the last few years and usually only see the same handful of people each time. So the monthly meetings may not be working as a effective method.

So with that said, when the PR group gets off the ground I think we need to look at how to effectivly communicate to the existing members as well as recruit new members and racers.

I will volenteer my time to the forming PR/Marketing committe in an effort to help. I also think that if the PR group is effective then mabye the board should consider the addition of a Marketing Representative to the board for 09.

I have already PM'd Jon about keeping me in the loop.

Joe

Wild Cheetah 612
January 17th, 2008, 08:53 AM
This is a great debate! This is an important issue and I appreciate everyone's input and the respectful way it's being done. Let's keep it going.

I have more to say than I have time to type right now. I will address Chris later after I consider his comments more and have time to respond to his thoughts and concerns.

Right now I will lay out my duties as Rider Respresentative to all the members.
1) I am responsible for the trophies. I must work with the trophy company and order all the trophies for each race and see that they get to the races. Since the company is 2 1/2 hours from my house, I enlist members who receive a small fee to pick them up and cart them to he races. I unpack and repack them each race weekend and see to it that they are all correct. Sometimes the company or I make mistakes that I have to fix.

2) I am responsible for all the Season Trophies presented at the Banquet. I work closely with the trophy company and photographer to get this done.

3) I am responsible for finding and working with companies to sponsor the trophies for each racing class.

4) I must attend MRA Board and General Meetings. Lots of little extra tasks pop up at these meetings. I also spend time debating issues with the Board members over policy. I often call many members to their input so I can truly represent the membership.

5) Members call me from time to time to help them with issues or projects, most recently Sasha putting together the Ladies' Class.

6) I circle the pits every race weekend talking to the members to help out in any way I can: answer questions, solve problems, instruct new racers during practices, resolve conflicts, and even fight the Track Marshal and other Board Members when a member feels he has been treated unfairly. Just ask Dave Lambert about the hours I spent working on his case.

7) The Rider Rep. position is also a dumping ground for gopher errands too miscellaneaous to name.

That's all I can think of right now.

Jakeracer
January 17th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Good info Donna-

Would it be fair for the other reps to chime in here and speak of their duties and how they execute them on and away from the track?

I think it helps us understand more of what goes on behind the scenes if you will before and during the race weekend.

glenngsxr
January 17th, 2008, 09:09 AM
This got complicated pretty quickly. I am gonna have to side with Glenn Conser on this one. I, personally, would like him to concentrate on the new track issues because it does require a LOT of time. I have done marketing stuff every year whether it was the corner marshal cards I made and distributed last year or the fliers I helped with a couple years ago or other things that people don't see. I have never asked for any type of compensation for any of the things I have done. I was offered free practice for opening weekend last year, which I turned down. However, I don't do the things I do because I want to get compensated.

I have oft wondered what the roles of the rider reps was as well. Besides getting free racing, I don't see their presence(besides Donna). All BS aside, I am kind of bitter about not getting elected rider rep, especially when I declined the free entry fees. However, it seems to be a popularity contest of sorts and I really don't give a crap anymore. I WILL continue to do as much as I can for this club because you guys are family to me.

It is nice to see some other members wanting to get going on PR. If you want to get a PR committee together, I will gladly head it up. Me and Jon have already been in communication about this. Jon has a wonderful race program that really puts some show in front of his go. We have the same problem the AMA has. We have the talent and the racing, but we don't have a SHOW. Glenn, keep focusing on the track and we will take care of this. Glenn #62

T Baggins
January 17th, 2008, 10:23 AM
It frustrates me that every time two or three people (or maybe in this case six people) think the board isn't running the club the way "they think it should be run", it degrades into accusations and then defense of accusations which at best appear juvenile. This is an open, international forum. Anyone, anywhere, can read it - and if you are looking to draw interest and support to the club, probably having these types of discussions in this manner aren't very productive.

Here's my advice for anyone reading this thread (and yes Chris and Frank, even though we're pit-mates, friends, TZ buddies and all that - this advice is for you as well):

"If you have concerns or need clarification about something, please consider simply "asking" a question before making statements that put the Board of Directors in a position of having to defend their every action. Even moreso, perhaps you should ask privately first so you are informed before posting things that are inaccurate, uninformed or inflammatory."

Had it been posed like this:

"So, I notice that our spectators and members are not what they were in years past. Does anyone know why that is, and what WE as a club are doing about it?"

You would have gotten the following types of answers:

We used to have a booth at the International Motorcycle Show every year to promote the MRA - but it doesn't come to Denver any more. That was a big loss for us.

We used to do a booth at the Arena Cross, but we were never able to actually discern if it was beneficial.

We used to race at Steamboat, and the turnout of racers and specators was 20,000+ over the course of the week with people coming from all over the country. That drew considerable attention to the club. We don't do that any more, and repeated efforts to replace Steamboat with a similar road-course have been unsuccefssful.

We used to race at CDR / Mead / Mountain View, (crappy as it was) and there were something like 120,000 vehicles a day that passed our races. We were clearly visible from the highway. Sometimes they would actually just turn around at the next exit and come watch for a while. You can't buy that kind of exposure, and of course we don't race there any more.

We polled "recent" former racers last year via a quesionnaire asking why they weren't still racing with us. Overwhelmingly the issue was related to the cost associated with traveling to tracks or, "the lack of a home track". So if the people who already know about us, and have raced with us previously would come back with a new local track - then that's a no brainer.

As part of the fundraising effort for the new track, CAMA sent out approximately 10,000 informational brochures to "all" identified motorsports enthusiasts in the Rocky Mountain Region. This should help draw interest to all the clubs that utilize the new track.

The MRA sent out license application packets to every single person in the database this year (as opposed to previous years where we've only sent to "current" members to save money). This in an increase of about 200 mailers, again to folks we KNOW have in interest in the MRA and racing. Hopefully the prospect of having a new local track will encourage some to come back.

Presently we believe that having a new track (or being certain that we won't have one) is priority one. Spectators won't come to watch a race that is not happening, so spectator growth obviously has a lower priority.

In order to support that effort, the MRA has donated nearly $200,000 to CAMA (not sure the exact number) either thru "turning over" our SCR rebates or by simply writing a check out of our treasury. As a board we DID NOT have to do that. Had we not, however, we likely wouldn't be welcome at the new track when it is completed. I guess we could have spent that all on advertising and promotion. But we didn't.

Three years ago (maybe four??), the then sitting Board agreed in a meeting that we were NOT going to focus on spectator or membership growth until we had some things sorted out with the track situation. Drawing a bunch of newbies into a situation where we might have had only 5-6 races, split between Pueblo and La Junta - didn't seem like a good idea at the time. That, and we had just spent a ton of money on the transponder system, and frankly couldn't afford to buy more transponders if our racer number increased anyway. Yes, it was that tight.

The above was also influenced by the fact that all previous iterations of a Promotions Committee have been absolute failures. As Glenn mentioned, only Stan Foxworthy (who did it for two years) had any success at all, and it was frankly quite limited. It was a paid position, and did have a modest budget - and it was still unsuccessful. MOSTLY because the amount of money the MRA had available to spend on the project was limited. If I recall, we spent between $4,000 and $6,000 those years and the increase in members and spectators was so low it was immeasurable.

Most years we end the season with less than $10K in our coffers. Some years it's been less than ZERO - really. That's pretty lean, and to spend a large sum of money on advertising (to attract potential racers or spectators) could put us in a position where we actually run out of money - and that would be a terrible reason to have the club shut down. Our "job" as the Board is to continually provide a safe and fun racing environment for our members. Anything we do that jeopardizes that is not consistent with why we are here - IMHO.

At this point the club isn't in jeopardy of closing down due to either a lack of membership or spectators. If our current members would like to see those numbers grow, then that's great - but it certainly isn't my primary focus at the moment.

In very recent years, we've had numerous complaints from our membership that "The MRA is not like it was in the old days when it was smaller. I wish we were smaller." "The MRA is too big now, it's not family-friendly any more." etc, etc, etc... If our current members would like to see those numbers further decline, then that's great - but it certainly isn't my primary focus at the moment.

For more than 20 years we produced a poster that went out to area dealerships and businesses to promote our race program. It was always sponsored by some business or entity, (for years it was Kawasaki) so the cost to the MRA was nil. As time went on, and competition for business grew, shops would refuse to hang the poster if it was a sponsored by a competing brand. So, we made it so that only non-motorcycle companies could sponsor the program. As advertising dollars dried up - companies that weren't industry specific lost interest in sponsoring the poster. And those that still were interested were "connected" either to a specific race effort or a race shop or dealership. And so the members and area shops cried foul that the MRA had a "specific company name" on the poster - and not only refused to hang them or hand them out, the actually threw them away. I made a final attempt to come up with a "stock" poster that ANYBODY could put their information on for a very nominal fee (so that everybody could either put up or shut up) - and had exactly NOT ONE person, company or entity contact me about it. So the poster is dead, as far as I'm concerned.

Not that it's been brought up specifically here (relative to my position), but I have heard from time to time that the members really have no idea what the board members do.

If you all really think the "board is paid to do everything" then you're delusional. My job, Vice President, officially entails the following:

Membership Renewals: Creating, updating, printing and distributing the membership and school application packets. En masse, with the help of a printer and mailing house.

License Packets: Creating, printing, laminating, and distributing the License Packets for new or renewing members. One by one, by hand, every one. Each card has to go thru the laminator twice... and I lick the stamps myself.

Contingency: Absolutely everything to do with contingency including - begging companies for contingency support beginning in October, chasing them down incessantly to confirm whether they're on board or not, oftentimes creating the actual contingency form if they won't in a timely manner, updating the MRA website with the contingency information, confirming dates and payouts for each contingency sponsor, lecturing you all week in and week out on how to properly fill out the contingency forms, processing the forms against the results, and finally sending them in to the manufacturers (all the way thru the end of October) so you all get your due rewards. Oh, and then helping you chase down contingency that you don't receive.

Insurance: I secure the insurance and sanctioning for every race weekend. Usually it's thru the AMA, but for Hastings and Miller I have to also buy supplemental policies to meet the insurance requirements for those facilities. I also have to fill out and return to the AMA every weekend the referees report, injury report, and all that.

Pre-Tech: Yes you all see my smiling face EVERY race morning to go thru pre-tech and sign your rights away as part of the insurance waiver process. I basically can't leave my post until registration closes. So hell or high water, hung over or not, Saturdays I've been there from 6am till Noon, and Sundays (and mondays on double headers) 6 - 8:15. Every race weekend for three years. I then get to put those with the gate crew waivers and mail them all in to the AMA every weekend.

Race Schools: I must attend every race school to process apps, AMA memberships, etc. I'm usually first there and nearly last to leave - and I don't even get to ride or instruct... sigh.

Announcing: No, I don't do it all weekend every weekend - and I know I suck at it, but I consider this part of my responsibility since the MRA has chosen not to spend money on the announcer position any more.

General and Board Meetings: I rarely miss either. The general meetings are a total waste of time because everything we cover is already common knowledge in these forums. And the same 13 members who come every month are also constantly on this forum. Yet the bylaws say we must hold them, and so I go. This takes at least an hour every month. The Board meetings last about 3 hours every month (sometimes longer) and this is where we meet to make decisions on policies, procedures, classes, gate fees, membership, etc...

E-Mails / Forums / Telephone: I spend countless hours writing crap like this, trying to make peace with our members and assure them that we really are looking out for their best interest. I answer questions, help members, new members, prospective members, contingency sponsors, etc etc etc... 365 days a year, from 8am till 9pm.

All this for a whopping $425 per weekend. And we only get paid ON RACE WEEKENDS - so the work we do the entire rest of the year is essentially unpaid. Yeah, I get free racing too, which is about another $200 per weekend. Understand that I'm not complaining about my compensation. I KNEW that this was the program and the deal, and I accepted willingly. What I am complaining about is the recurring theme that "well the Board gets paid so they should do this, this, this, this, this..."
If anyone thinks that I'm overcompensated for the position, or thinks that I clearly should be doing more, please step forward and I will gladly load your vehicle with the many many boxes of MRA crap that I have to haul around with me week in and week out 52 weeks a year - and you can make the big bucks and race for free instead of me. :shock:

I assure you that any of the "paid" board memebers will have similar responsibilities for similarly ridiculous pay.

As I have said before, this is a CLUB. Each and every one of you owns an equal portion of the club, it's assets, and thusly owns an equal responsibility to ensure that it going in the direction you want it to. My vote is no more or less valued than any other member.

As a Board, OUR JOBS are to provide you all with a safe, hopefully fun, environment to race motorcycles - and do so in compliance with all applicable state and federal laws. Clearly we do WAYYYYYYY more than that.

YOUR JOBS are to vote for a board of directors you believe in, and then HELP OUT FOR GODS SAKE when you would like to see change in the club. Especially when the elected board specifically says "We're not opposed to such-and-such, but we are going to need your help or support to make it happen."

As for this sentiment of "Why should I do it? I don't get paid." I'm gonna call B.S. on that. If you do the math on what we each actually earn, we already don't get paid for what we do. And any additional work would net us the same pay as it would you. ZERO. If you really believe that "this or that" needs to occur in order for the club to thrive - then YOU need to get involved and make sure it happens.

You don't have to be a paid, elected official in this club to do something that benefits the club. Or, if this thread is any indication, maybe you do...

T Baggins
January 17th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Oh, and a little tip for those who want to be elected to the board. To say that it is a popularity contest is not entirely accurate. In my case, it obviously is (well, that and I continue to run unopposed) - but nobody likes Glenn ( :wink: :lol: :lol: :shock: :wink: ) and he continues to win

because of what he's done for the club

not because of what he says he's going to do for the club.

The easiest way to get elected is to show what you're capable of (as a MEMBER) and then brag about what you've done as part of your campaign platform. I'd be way more inclined to vote for someone who's already proven their merit (whether they're incumbent or not) than someone who makes promises that we'll never know if they are capable of keeping.

No charge for that one.

glenngsxr
January 17th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Tony,
I agree. that is all. btw, if you lick the stamps, then remind me to use a letter opener. If you ever need help with stuff, give me a call. I know it says that rider reps are supposed to be delegated to, but I would love to help with anything I can. Glenn #62 719-661-1583

polar x
January 17th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Tony, well written and said. You answered the questions and I thank you for that.

I still don't see this thread as having gone south, but it that's what people think then that's there right. I still stand by my opinion.

I will help with what I can and enjoy the fruits of the boards work.

THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING THE CONCERNS That was all that was needed.

And if this creates ANY animosity with others in this group towards me, well all I can say is GET OVER IT :wink: We are all big boys and girls and my skin is plenty thick. I hope yours is too.

Tony this is why you are considered a friend, because you tell it like it is and don't beat around the bush about it.

8) 8) 8)

T Baggins
January 17th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Glenn, I see your post "Marketing and PR Campaign" in the Index.

That's what I'm talking about. Thank you!

hcr25
January 17th, 2008, 11:50 AM
My main duties away from the track are The MRA hotline. Which is mainly updating the info on upcoming race events, answering the voice mails and taking care of the MRA racers who cancel race entries Via the hotline. I am also responsible for the MRA mail. This is mainly driving to the post office collecting the mail and getting it to Lynette.

Like Donna said 4 and 5 are the same for rider reps.
Donna is by far the best when comes to going around the pits and asking hows it going. i think she did it from her first day in the MRA.

T Baggins
January 17th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Oh, and getting back to the original question,

What is the MRA going to do about gate fees for 2008?

There will be no increase in gate fees for 2008, but how they are collected will be different.

The gate fee for the ENTIRE WEEKEND will be $10, regardless of when you arrive. Friday, Saturday, Sunday, even Monday on double headers - still only $10 - no matter which day you arrive. Obviously if you are a racer or have a crew pass, you need only present that in lieu of paying the $10. If you forget your pass, or leave it in your trailer - you gotta pay. No exceptions. 12 and Under are still free!

EVERYBODY will be issued a wrist-band at the gate which YOU MUST WEAR (yes racers, you too) throughout the event. If you need a replacement wrist-band (cause it's covered in oil or blood or something...), you MUST go back to the gate, turn in the old one, and let them put a new one on you.

The gate will be staffed Saturday and Sunday/Monday from 6am to 6pm (as usual), so if you arrive while the gate is NOT staffed - IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO GET OUT TO THE GATE AS SOON AS IT IS STAFFED AGAIN to sign the waiver and get your wrist band. We will also have a few MRA Board Members set up with Wrist Bands and Waivers in the pits for those who arrive Friday, or after 6pm on Saturday. We will be in the pits, NOT at the gate. That way you can get it out of the way with greater convenience.

As you arrive each subsequent day, you need only show your wrist band at the gate and you're good to go!

Here's what you need to know and love. If you are spotted in the pits at any time during the race weekend without a wristband - you will be promptly escorted to the gate to sign the waiver and pay your gate fee. No exceptions.

Kapeesh?

Wild Cheetah 612
January 17th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Okay, I'm home and have a glass of wine. I'm ready to type.

Chris,
I hope as you indicated, Tony was able to answer your concerns. Here are my concerns with you. I've been in the club for five years...

2003- a novice and put in my lame four hours of service to the club.
2004- expert (no more novice hours!) spent many days and evenings working passing out info and talking about the MRA to numerous individuals attending MRA and non-MRA motorcycle events and at motorcycle shops. No Compensation.
2005- worked every race weekend on Saturday and Sunday, usually giving up my practice time helping Tony at Pre-Tech. Maybe that's why I was still so slow. No Compensation.
2006- Worked as rider rep when I could have spent such hours privately teaching music lessons for six times the amount I make as a rider rep. in free racing. Yes, I knew that Master's Degree in Music would be worth something.
2007- Worked as rider rep when I could have spent such hours privately teaching music lessons for six times the amount I make as a rider rep. in free racing. Oh yea, I love racing and I love my club....that's why I do it.
2008- see above 2006-2007

Yes, Chris, I voted for you, but will I vote for you next time if you choose not to prove your metal? Probably not. Glenn Carlson (glenngsxr #62) is sure starting to earn my vote.

What is comes down to in my mind, folks, is this is a club of love, not a club of personal gain.

Clarkie, please PM me with the name of the Rider Rep. who said he does this just for free racing, because I want to look him straight in the eye when I call him an idiot and heap a load of work on him.

Oh yea, I almost forgot, Jim Brewer, the business man he is, must be out of town again or he would've chimed in by now. Jim's Rider Rep. duties include being responsible for the Rules of this club. He handles putting together the entire rulebook, is Head of the Rules Change Committee (a huge organizational job), is a computer guru for us illiterates, and does the job of announcing at every race weekend. He used to run the whole SuperMoto thing when we had that. The announcing job itself saves the club more money than the free racing he receives. Jim is also a terrific brainstormer when dealing with issues and serves as a logical and calming influence on those of us who are spastic.

Give Mr. Brown a break at this point, he is still searching for his niche on the Board, just as all of us new Rider Reps do two months into our term. Ask Jeff about more about his duties around June.

And one final comment. If you want to help this club, then get your butts to the General Meetings at Breckenridge Brewery, catty corner from Coors Field once a month, hear what's going on, participate with at least your ideas, and volunteer once in a while.

With a deep love for the MRA,
Donna

nude
January 17th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I found this whole thread interesting because no one has mentioned one of the main sources of consistent advertising that the club does have; the season program. It's contents range all of the way from how to begin racing to information on the winners. In addition we distribute it to a majority of the front range bike shops, national suppliers, and to spectators. Add this in with the website and to say that the club is not doing anything just isn't true.

When I was on the board the program was small, inaccurate, and lacked content. This was because the board just didn't have the time to supply the publisher with all of the content needed, especially when planning for the next race season. In addition, it really bothered me that once it did get printed they usually didn't get distributed. One year, nearly half were simply thrown out and another it came out half way through the season.

So after four years I decided that I had had enough of the board, a truly thankless job, but I wanted to continue making a difference in the club. I felt that I could do that by producing the best damn club, if not professional, program in the country. So with the help of awesome people like Ricky Orlando, Aaron Petrie, John Weiland, Margaret Oliver, Tony Baker as well as many more and the numerous writers and contributors, and especially the advertisers who allow this to be produced and distributed at no cost to the club, I feel that this has been accomplished four years running.

The club is, and has been, advertising its self for years and many of our members contribute to that effort annually! I am glad to see that there is an equally motivated group that is going after additional forms of club promotion; an area that has been lacking. The program is not yet complete so if there is something else that we can do in the program to help these additional efforts just let me know.

Mark Nudelman

The GECCO
January 17th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks for chiming in, Mark. I specifically stayed away from mentioning the program simply because it isn't something the board can legitimately claim any credit for. All we really do is sign the contract and approve the final product.

I don't think there's any doubts surrounding the quality of the product you and your crew have put together over the last few years. THANK YOU!

Wild Cheetah 612
January 18th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Yes, you Nude thing, you! You are awesome! You took on the Program on your own, made it a more than respectable piece of print, and did it as a self-sustaining project that earns you a little bit of cash and is zero drain on the club. You are quite the enterprising entrepreneur.

rforsythe
January 18th, 2008, 10:31 PM
What is comes down to in my mind, folks, is this is a club of love, not a club of personal gain.

That's about as succinctly as it can be put, folks.

Board compensation is a joke. I did it for a year as TM and was flat awestruck at the amount of work put in at a collective level, MOST of it outside of the track. Job titles are so non-inclusive of the effort that an MRA board position entails that it's almost humorous (and probably is to anyone who hasn't done it). Any monetary compensation barely covers (if it does) the expenses one will incur over a year's term to do their job, between mandatory trips, meetings, errands, and all the little things that go along with that.

FWIW, part of your current TM's compensation includes free entry fees - and the dude doesn't even race. That's probably true for Schellinger too (I can't recall what he gets), maybe others. Many boardies do race, but believe me, it's damning to be there at the races and have to give up your fun if something duty-related requires it. But it's part of the gig. Are you willing to put the club before your personal edification? Not many are.

Are some people going to have to step up to help promote the club, and (gasp) not get "compensation" for it? Yeah, most likely. It's a bit of work, sure - but far, FAR less than what several others are up to. At the end of the day you will be proud of the work you did, and a year or two from now when the family has grown and there are several hundred people watching you fly around in circles (or just fly, if you're Bob) you will feel pretty good about it.

Those who have a passion for the club will generally step up in some capacity and use their respective talents to help it prosper. There's also a crazy amount of big talk from people who know all the answers, but never actually do anything with them. And some just want to come and race and leave the actual mess of running a club to others, which is fine, but they also tend to stay quiet about most things. Whichever applies to whoever you are is a matter of introspection that only you can determine. However I would toss out that until you've put in significant time essentially volunteering your services, you have limited room to criticize those who have or question their objectives.

Just some food for thought, and some support for the MRA board who work their asses off. Without the all-day-every-day attention these folks put into this thing, you guys would be driving to Utah to race.

This post wasn't meant to offend anyone, but to hopefully offer some additional perspective on the heroic amount of effort and sacrifice that is put forth behind the scenes to give you all a club.

froth
January 19th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Well put most everyone. Just a quick two cents (after that, I, like most of you am broke!)

The members of the board do a GREAT job of keeping this whole racing thing up and running. About twenty years ago (god, I'm getting old) I was the recording secretary (even with my penmanship) for the Praire Dawgs MC. The work we put in to run just two races per year (yes, we put on the FIRST AMA Hare and Hound event ever) was astounding. Board members and reps get to coordinate 400 percent more of these each year.

So we can't have everyting from our board. Big deal. I enjoy reading the missives, and look forward to seeing Glen the younger do his thing. Involvement from members like him (yep, I voted for ya, yung' un) even after he didn't get what he wanted is what makes a club improve.

All the input on the net shows a great deal, but putting your time and energy where your mouth(or keyboard) shows more. Especially when it's largely unseen (i.e. how many people look at 'nude editing?).

Anyhow, thanks again to all who do the million and more things to keep us entertained at the track! I eagerly look forward to seeing who backs up the talk with the walk (and I'd be happy to assist in running flyers, or whatever, just don't want to lead, sometimes, I like to be a second banana, aka Ed McMahon).

See you at the banquette!

Fred

glenngsxr
January 19th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks Fred. I appreciate the nod. Find anymore goodies underneath people's beds lately? Please tell me you remember? Glenn #62

polar x
January 19th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Well, I guess this is not going to be taken as someone with an "opinion" thread but someone who is attacking someone. :roll:

I started here only in 05 and I guess I have no right to have an opinion that will be looked at as such. Yea my delivery sucks, but its who I am and frankly I get amusement out of it. :oops: I have helped this club as well, some for compensation and some for free. I do it as a part of the friendship I have with the club and was lucky enough to get something for it in return. I never asked for it and was appreciative when it was offered. But its not my style to say look at me and this is what I did for....blah blah.

I am comfortable in my level of involvement and in who I am. I will continue to attend meetings when I am in the country AAANNNNDDDDD I will continue to piss off people who take offense to me and my opinions and that's just life. I mean no one any harm and hope they mean non towards me.

I am done. Sorry to have ruffled the feathers with my opinions. I can PROMISE it wont be the last time.

glenngsxr
January 19th, 2008, 09:45 PM
whoa whoa whoa. I hope you are not accusing me of tooting my own horn? If so, moderator please delete this thread cause it's gonna go south in a hurry! Glenn #62

polar x
January 20th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Holy SH$&...are you serious :evil: Your reading more into it than is there.
I give up. :roll:

Those with issues, PM me. I am done with the tender foots and this thread.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
January 21st, 2008, 12:42 AM
Oh yea, I almost forgot, Jim Brewer, the business man he is, must be out of town again or he would've chimed in by now.

Bingo. I was in (not so) Sunnyvale, CA last week for work doing the manager thing. It wasn't a party. Sorry about getting behind on this scintillating discussion!

Jim's Rider Rep. duties include being responsible for the Rules of this club .. bla bla .. rulebook .. bla bla .. Rules Change Committee .. bla bla .. computer guru .. bla bla .. announcing .. bla bla SuperMoto .. bla bla...
Thanks Donna for the quick resume. Before "officially" getting on the board, I was pretty involved with the MRA PR committee from '95-'97 doing shows, distributing posters, schedule cards, and flyers. I wrote after race articles for Cycle News, American Roadracer (if you remember that), and Roadracing World for a couple years (although I don't think Ulrich printed any of mine).

I'm also "officially" trained as a MRA Corner Worker, have an approved whistle & pants and have earned my shirt - I'm pretty proud of that.

By virtue of seeing my dopey mug first when you click on "Contact the MRA" I get a decent amount of email from other club racers asking about the MRA, the discussion forum, or our rules, fees or other stuff. I always take that opportunity to talk us up, give advise on MRA specific bike prep (I know what other clubs do & don't do), registration processes, and offer to be their "host" when they come to the races.

Since I've raced with just about every other club in the nation, I know a bit what it's like when you go to a new club "cold" and have to run the gauntlet of license, signup, contingency, and procedures. Having a personal contact before even getting there is a HUGE help.

Oh, and what Donna didn't mention is that Rider Reps. are expected to teach at the new riders' schools as well as attend all the board and general meetings.

As Teaus Baggus said, if you want to have a board job, then start doing one before asking to get elected.

Ashli
January 22nd, 2008, 01:00 PM
Glenn I for one do appreciate everything you do for this club. The votes that are casted for you are because of everything you do and everything you have DONE for this club. I fear the day you no longer are the President of the MRA personally.

I keep hearing that this thread (or parts of it) weren't an attack on anyone, gimme a break. You can call it whatever you want but call it like it is. Glenn was elected President by the club, obviously the majority doesn't feel the same way as you do.

I may not be a racer (yet) but I have been around for more than 5 years and I've seen everything Glenn and the entire board have done and I truly appreciate it.

Carry on the bashing.

Wild Cheetah 612
January 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
Carry on the bashing.

Your man is a cheater on his F3!

And when are you going to quit pit bitching for Hoopty and make him bitch for you?

oh, and thank you for your remarks. I personally didn't think there was any bashing going on, just a lively conversation.

Ashli
January 22nd, 2008, 07:37 PM
Carry on the bashing.

Your man is a cheater on his F3!

And when are you going to quit pit bitching for Hoopty and make him bitch for you?

Ha! lol
I love that F3, working on racing this year, were buying a house so funding for two racers is kinda out there. We'll see what pans out for us.

Yeah, may not be bashing but definitely isn't complimenting LOL

Wild Cheetah 612
January 23rd, 2008, 08:48 AM
Okay, so the F3 may not be a cheater bike, but maybe Hoopty could cut down a little to fund you. Or maybe he could quit crashing so much, that would free up a bunch of cash!

Ashli
January 23rd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Okay, so the F3 may not be a cheater bike, but maybe Hoopty could cut down a little to fund you. Or maybe he could quit crashing so much, that would free up a bunch of cash!

We'll see what we can do. At least one race or something.

Ha ha ha, well I can't be mad at him for crashing 4 times this year since he went without crashing for 2 full seasons before that!

See you guys at the banquet!
:)

dragos13
January 23rd, 2008, 02:07 PM
Ha ha ha, well I can't be mad at him for crashing 4 times this year since he went without crashing for 2 full seasons before that!

its amazing what can happen when you are riding someone elses bike :twisted:

Ashli
January 23rd, 2008, 07:30 PM

its amazing what can happen when you are riding someone elses bike :twisted:

Not anymore! :twisted: