PDA

View Full Version : schwantz vs. spencer school

DingleBerns
December 24th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Just out of curiosity, which one would you gain more information from? If that's hard to say, which one would/did you choose and why?

Jon
December 24th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Derrick that's a really tough question to answer, how about which method of learning do you use and is most useful for the difficulties your facing. Both Kevin's school and Freddie's offer the best of the best from the best but you have to ask the right questions. They will be observing you and seeing your weaknesses but you need to explain why you feel uncomfortable through that part of the corner, on the brakes or whatever. Also Freddie and Kevin teach different levels of course each teach a basic course and a advanced or pro school. You can do a one day course or a two day. Why not give them both a call and discuss what your looking to learn or improve upon. The advance courses are a bit on the pricey side but you can definitely learn something at both. It may come down to which track to you think serves your needs. Road Atlanta is definitly a bit of a experience as it's much faster than Las Vegas and you just to learn where the hell your going takes a day. Las Vegas is flat as a pancake and doesn't have quite the learning curve. Regardless I've taken both and both are great and will serve the purpose. As far as a favorite, that's tough who do you like better the teachers at Freddie's or Kevin's. You get a bit more world class racer instructor at Freddie's as Mr Haney been around the block but if you get one on one with Kevin you get the same. I'm going to keep and eye on this thread to see where it goes as I'm not sure how many of the MRA guys have taken both courses but I have and that like I said's a tough call. Merry Christmas

Clarkie
December 25th, 2007, 07:49 AM
you cant do Kevin's school unless you own a Suzuki (dont think you can rent bikes), and Freddie's school provide the Honda's but I think it costs around $3,000

Jon
December 25th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Well yeah that too,
I know Jamie James is now got a school that uses Yamaha. Might want to give him a shout, you may even be understand him, he's southern and speaks merican but not to good.

DingleBerns
December 25th, 2007, 08:30 AM
you cant do Kevin's school unless you own a Suzuki (dont think you can rent bikes), and Freddie's school provide the Honda's but I think it costs around $3,000

I read the site and I believe you get to ride a 07 or 08 suzuki...

Clarkie
December 25th, 2007, 11:38 AM
cool, that must be quite new (him providing bikes) over the past couple of years, i know that you can take your own bikes, Freddie you dont get the option

vonconcepts.com
December 25th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Dang --- Keith Code isn't even an option here? I really dig the California Superbike School --- your bike, their bike and not too expensive... plus they use a bunch of tracks.

Spicee Brown
December 25th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Kieth Code school was awesome..as I did corner working At PPIR and did the same drills as students. Fast instructors. Pity I never got better at PPIR..
As for freddie, I think he was the man but Ive followed revvin kevins career so much more. He's my absolute hero. I'd be willing to take his class if I had the dinero and a suzuki. Road Atlanta would be a killer dream track to ride. I'd still love to take Pridmores school, theres just so many ..but Schwantz would be tops for me.
It would be like being taught guitar by Page.
happy holidays, this SNOW SUX! I did get to ride the RD350 yesterday..

Spicee
MRA 164 novice

TBSgraphics
December 25th, 2007, 10:54 PM
stay local, pay some of our own instructors for ONE on ONE not groups, get the same of better instruction time that a big name school..

Mark S., maybe Clarkie, Brad H, (is or was an Freddie insturctor not sure if he can do priveate stuff) and others..

also there's talk about some guy named Nick Ieneoch(sp) living around here, if you dont know his name he's a writer and racer for a motorcycle mag, and a Damn good small bike racer with lots of talent, heard he does some private stuff,.. unless you just looking to travel durin the snowy time to get track time, I would say you can get the same or better lessons local... $0.02.....

EdDuenez
December 26th, 2007, 12:06 AM
I go for Kevin =D>

Clarkie
December 26th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Nick lives down in the Springs, and also works for Freddie. As far as which course is best, it all depends what you are trying to get out of it, a lot of people go to Kevin's school because they want to ride RA with Kevin, Batey, Acree etc. People want to do Freddie's school to hang with Freddie and Haney, the highlight listening to Haney's stories at dinner, ST also teches at Freddie's school as well.

Griz906
December 27th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Derrick

I am only getting on this because of the Keith Code references. All schools rule and you will learn something from each. So as Jon and Clarkie mentioned, it depends on what you need. I will give my review of the schools from my perspective.

The CSS schools would be considered if you feel as though you need to get back to the basics. The school is split into 4 levels, the 1st being the basics of riding. The 2nd and 3r work on growing skills needed in riding, like visiual skills and planning the ideal line to ensure good throttle control. The 4th level is based around your particular needs, focussing on working on past skills that need perfected. I took it after a couple years of racing and got great results, others have said it was too basic. If you feel as though you know throttle control, lines, know your visual skills are working and have a fairly clear understanding of what needs to be fixed then going to a more advanced school is for you.

Schwantz and Spencer tend to teach technics. I want to take those schools so I am not putting them down - they don't spend time explaining why throttle control, or why turning the bike is better. They work on things that would make you faster, or explain the dynamics of braking and how to gain confidence to go further into a corner. CSS starts at the very beginning and then after 3 levels (it takes one day per level and you cannot jump to level 4) you get to work on techniques like at the Schwantz/Spencer schools.

I like the way everyone is responding to the question. They are careful not to give a direct opinion because so much depends on other factors. Track, cost, schedule, bikes ect.. The Pridmore and CSS schools tend to be a bit more basic, working on riding skills. The other schools tend to work on making you a better racer. All the schools will make you faster.

phildrummond
December 27th, 2007, 02:15 PM
My 2 cents...

I can't vouch for the other schools, but I did Schwantz. Lucky for me Mom and Dad love their little boy enough to blow $15 hondo on 2 days of riding in circles. I bought my own GSXR just before the school...instant savings! It was very nicely done, complete with catering, ear plugs...and what's cooler than having Schwantz put your bike on a stand for you? I wasn't confident in my tire feedback so Opie Caylor adjusted pressure for me. Good stuff.

I had lunch with Jamie James, had him wheelie past me at 130 on the back straight, watched Schwantz turn a few laps. That'll make you feel slow. Road Atlanta is a fairly technical and blind over a bunch of hills. The back straight lets you hold it pinned in 6th for 5 seconds or so. And turn 11's exit (I think- it's the last one) lets you check out a wall pretty close up.

Whatever school you choose, make sure they follow you with video. Nothing helped me more than seeing what I was doing wrong.

Enjoy. And whatever you do, if you rent a GSXR or SV, don't wad it up or you own it.

oldtimer
December 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I want to give a second to Pridmore's STAR school, which is coming to Pueblo twice this year.

I rode with his school a couple times when I was racing, and enjoyed the coaching. Their instructors were very adaptable to whatever level you wanted, and I like Jason and Rich Alexander for racing direction (don't know if Richie still instructs with them). Met Mike Metzger in the class at Parumph, I think he was racing an R1 with WSMC at the time.

motobum
January 2nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
if you get one on one with Kevin you get the same. I'm going to keep and eye on this thread to see where it goes as I'm not sure how many of the MRA guys have taken both courses but I have and that like I said's a tough call. Merry Christmas

jon, what do you mean "if"?

is it unlikely that you get one on one with kevin?

if you had to take one of the schools over agian which would you pick?(kevin or freddie)