PDA

View Full Version : Care and feeding for a long and prosperous transponder life

Jon
December 6th, 2007, 12:35 AM
As many of us actually did purchase the transponders that we paid for, donated to and rented for several years. I was wondering what the best way to care for them is to make sure they last for years to come. I have been following the suggested method of letting them run down completely and then recharging them but am growing concerned that maybe that's not enough. After speaking with some folks who seem to have some experience with these units or at least the type of batteries contained within them, many seem to think a unit of this age is nearing it's useful life. What's the life expectancy of the now five year old battery contained within? Chris can you shed some light?
As I remember how they came to us via additional charges, the endurance races being created to pay for them and etc, I am particularly interested in getting the greatest value out of mine. Can we still expect them to last through 2010? or what should we be expecting? As you have worked with both the MRA and AMD the longest what are your thoughts, these are a consumable race equipment that can be depreciated as an expense and I would like to treat it as so right. Please advise.

chrobis
December 12th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Originally I was thinking that once my battery died I'd open that sucker up and see what I could dig out of the epoxy. Then I remembered the laptop I've owned with a dead battery that only worked while it was plugged in to wall current. Now I'm wondering if a transponder will send the proper signal if I just wire up a cigarette lighter plug to my bike's battery and cobble together a bracket to just keep it juiced while its on the bike. Hmm.

DingleBerns
December 12th, 2007, 11:27 PM
is that legal?

Throttleroller277
December 13th, 2007, 09:05 AM
if I just wire up a cigarette lighter plug to my bike's battery ......... Hmm.

I've been thinking that I need a cigarette lighter on my bike's too!!!! :D 8) 8)

DingleBerns
December 13th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I've been thinking that I need a cigarette lighter on my bike's too!!!! :D 8) 8)

I bet you would go through 1 cig every 3 laps if you could smoke on the track... :shock:

N1K
December 23rd, 2007, 09:09 AM
So would one be better off buying a new one then buying one from the mra??