PDA

View Full Version : Evel has made the final jump

froth
December 1st, 2007, 11:28 AM
Well, this goes to show just how old I am. The greatest motorcycle jumper/promoter of all time has taken his final ramp.

Evel died, and I have been watching youtube vids all morning. When I first learned about two wheels with a motor, he was in his prime, and jumping just about everything.(He was only 24 years older than me!).

Do any of you remember watching him on Wide World of Sports (or for that matter, Ali-Frazier, the "Rumble in the Jungle," or "Thrilla in Manilla?"

Evel's jumps were (and are) some of the coolest things I have ever seen, and helped me to stick this petrol based needle into my life!

I'm going to dedicate my next off track excursion to Evel Kneivel, greates of them all!

Wild Cheetah 612
December 1st, 2007, 02:45 PM
Hell, yea, I remember ABC's Wide World of Sports! Thrillseekers was awesome, too!

I was growing up in Las Vegas when he jumped Caesar's Palace! He was a hero to us back then. The neighborhood kids and I would build ramps in the street and jump them on our bikes pretending we were Evel.

I remember being so excited watching on TV Evel attempt the jump across Snake River.

Those were the days! You young pups who weren't around then really missed out!

Jon
December 1st, 2007, 06:28 PM
I am saddened to hear of his demise as he was truly an inspiration to me. I used to emulate him on my Bicycle and as a matter a fact, my record of jumping six bikes (side by side) has yet to be broken. Granted, I didn't wear a helmet, leathers or anything but then again, I didn't use a Harley either! I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have beaten himself up as badly as he did if he had followed suit. Regardless, Evil stood for good, he was a hero during a difficult time in America and I believe he deserves remembrance from all of America. He was a hero when we needed it most. Damn it can't wait to get home and watch Evil Kenivel when I get home. You Young Guns out there don't make the mistake of renting Viva Kenivel in hopes of a good movie as it sucked bad the original Evil Kenival the one to look for it had George Harrison as a young but still tanned version of our hero and told most of how Evil really was growing up in Montana

Jon
December 1st, 2007, 06:48 PM
OK it was George Hamilton that played Evil no doubt some one will call me on my mistake but to us old timers the Beatles were also an influence! Don't worry I was never really influenced by Elvis, but yes some of us remember When gas was under a buck! I was kind of surprised that you Mrs Bowden remember Evil???

St. Hubbins
December 1st, 2007, 07:34 PM
I had the opportunity to meet Evel at Daytona bike week 2001. He was out for an autograph signing/promotion for a company called Sick Boy motorcycles.
He showed up an hour late on a customized Evel livery Fat Boy. He was a total A**hole(just as I always imagined)!! It was awesome!! He pulled up and stopped in the middle of the street, and yelled for somebody to park his F'n bike! Two of the Sick Boy employees ran out to him just as Evel was dismounting his bike. Just before his bike hit the ground the two Sick Boy guys saved it! Evel then hobbled slowly into the store signed autographs, met with fans and took pics. He wasn't very chatty and you could tell he didn't want to be there, but I thought it was great anyway just to get to meet a legend from my childhood.
RIP Evel1

Wild Cheetah 612
December 1st, 2007, 07:42 PM
I was kind of surprised that you Mrs Bowden remember Evil???

Jon! I am 42 years old! Of course I remember Evel!
In fact, I own the movie "Evel Knievel" on DVD starring, yes it was indeed George Hamilton and Sue Lyon. It included clips of the real Evel's stunts and jumps. All you young racers should go rent it and learn about this guy. Evel's son, Robbie, ain't got nothin' on his dad.

I didn't wear a helmet or any gear either when I made the jumps in the street with the boys in the neighborhood. Looking back, I guess I was destined to race motorcycles. My mom would never let me have one growing up. I started riding at 36, but better late than never.

p.s. I remember when a pack of smokes and a gallon of gas were 50 cents each, and that was only in '81.

Moto-Mania
December 1st, 2007, 09:30 PM
Every time I go down to the food court for a gyros sandwich, I think of Evel Knievel and Awful Knoffel - the two baddest dudes to ever land in the same jail cell at the Butte (or was it Bozeman or Helena) Police station. The weird smile that always comes over my face when I order seems to put the cold creeps into the poor gal behind the counter. I considered trying to explain the bizarre connection between Middle Eastern cuisine and classic Americana, but I always chickened out because I thought there was the strong possibility she would call Homeland Security.

Whatever.

And, Donna, not trying to up you, but gas was only $0.31 per gallon when I was in college. Of course, the internal combustion engine hadn't been invented yet.

Anyway, Evel was kind like the Elvis of motorcycles for me. Both icons of Americana and inextricably woven into the pattern of life for all Americans of that era. Next time I go down to the gyros stand, that smile will be tinged with a hint of melancholy. No telling what the counter girl will do then.

Oh, by the way, Elvis didn't start out as the freak he ended up as. I was going to school in Germany when Elvis was drafted and assigned there as a tank commander. With his connections, he could have easily shirked his military duty - but he didn't. In those days, Elvis was pretty cool.

kfm61
December 2nd, 2007, 05:30 PM
I too remember watching Evil jump cars as a kid! And just like everyone else, we were building ramps and jumping anything we could on with our bicycles!

Does anyone else remember when he jumped cars at the old Continental Divide Raceway in Castle Rock? This was back in the mid '70's. I think one of the owners or managers who lived across the street from us in Boulder. He got us in to the press box area were we watched the drag races, watched Evil jump, and actually got to meet him. What a thrill for my brother and I as kids! I think my mom still has the Harley sales brochures he signed for us. All this was before the Snake River jump! Hmm,, now were did I put my reading glasses!