PDA

View Full Version : GPS Lap Timers

Moto-Mania
November 26th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Anybody have any experience with GPS - based lap timers (quality, accuracy, price, etc.)?

Lel399
November 26th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I was using one for the past 3 races at pueblo... and they are AWESOME!!!!

I absolutely love them, and wont use any other laptimer from now on.

It can do splits, top speed etc. I love it :)

lel

Clarkie
November 26th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I borrowed Jason's when I went to AZ and it was pretty cool, if you dont get the GPS points EXACTLY on the racing line it will guestimate the split time giving you a fastest lap possible time that ist realistic. When i set Jasons up correctly it was within 0.1 seconds of the transponders, if it was a little off it was 0.4 seconds off.

the only problem i had with the unit (bear in mind i didnt have the instructions and am only 'racer smart' ) was that i couldnt save the track co ordinates, so i would have to set the splits every time i went out on track. i like how you dont have to rely on a beacon

thanks again Jason!

Moto-Mania
November 26th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Very cool.
That's what I needed to know.
Thanks, guys.
Jason, what brand/model do you have?
Any suggestions re a new purchase?

Lel399
November 26th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Starlane Athon GPS is the only one that i know of/have experience with. They go for about 500 bucks. They should be coming out with a GPS 3R that has the ability to transfer laps to a laptop here soon and a few other gizmos, I dont know when though and should be roughly 675ish. Realistically if your not a big techie and dont want to spend the more money; going w/ the 3 model is perfect.

lel

bluedevil
November 27th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Jason and I traded bikes for a session and I got to use the GPS timer as well.. That thing is the shizle... Im pretty sure after its done with all the things it can do, it will wash your bike for you and put it in the trailer.. :lol: If you got the dough that is the way to go !

It was interesting seeing who could get the fastest actual speed by the end of the straight at PMP....

Clarkie
November 27th, 2007, 07:31 AM
One cool thing with the Startlane unit is that it will geive you your best theoretical lap so you can see how fast you could have actually gone if you linked your best splits together...............what sucks is that it shows you what you should be doing :D

turbohoje
November 27th, 2007, 07:59 AM
these are perfect for me. ive been peppering the country with transponder beacons that i dont pick up at the end of the day.

cu260r6
November 27th, 2007, 03:45 PM
It was interesting seeing who could get the fastest actual speed by the end of the straight at PMP....

I've always wondered about this. How fast are 600's going at Pueblo? At Miller the fastest privateers are about 160 with the best factory bikes touching 165. The 1000s were in the 180s. I would think 150ish at Pueblo on a 600, right?

Lel399
November 27th, 2007, 04:58 PM
my top was 142 (but more consistantly 138-140), Justins top was 145 at the last weekend I believe and I heard that glenn was using a radar gun at one of the Pueblo weekends and had Dennie fastest at 145 that weekend. So figure 140-145 maybe 148 if youre lucky :)

lel