PDA

View Full Version : Contingency Update from T-Baggins

T Baggins
October 25th, 2007, 08:33 AM
So as most of you know, we had a terrible time actually extracting the results from the database following the last race event of the season. I have the results now, and intend to process the contingency tonight. ALL contingency vendors should have the results in hand by Monday or Tuesday of next week.

I will also work on getting the "Year End" contingency stuff processed by the end of the weekend.

Thanks for your patience, in what turned out to be a pretty difficult year for getting results dragged out of the computer.

akuretz
October 25th, 2007, 08:40 AM
I know we've got some seriously skilled computer/IT guys and gals in the club, is the computer issues something that needs time/money/expertise thrown at it? I remember seeing a previous request for an Access expert...

The off season sounds like a good time to work on something like this.

Thanks for everything the board members do to make the race events happen.

T Baggins
October 25th, 2007, 09:08 AM
The Access database is having trouble communicating with Kristina's computer (specifically) and when we pull date into Lynette's computer it's getting corrupted or something like that...

I "think" davey g plans on re-writing the database in something other than Access this Winter. Given the continued and worsening problems we've had with Access the past couple years - a fresh d-base would be a good thing.

dave.gallant
October 25th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Hate is too kind of a word to describe my feelings towards access.

Unfortunately, it made sense for our users and application, and the at-track usage pattern is not that bad...

That said, I am working on a more cross-platform solution using sqlite instead. If any programmer is interested in helping spend a great deal of time for nothing but beer in return, feel free to email me. :)

JimWilson29
October 25th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Dave I know some PL/SQL if I can be of any help.

nobasin
October 25th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Hate is too kind of a word to describe my feelings towards access.

access=kiddie database=1 step (barely) beyond a flat file.

i'm a mySQL/php guy if you need help. i don't drink though, or very little at best, so you'll have to find something other than free beer for me. free fresh roasted coffee would probably work. :-)

dave, maybe you alex and i (and ugly dog racing...is it jim? sorry, i can't remember your name) could get together and brainstorm a solution that would streamline the programming by putting our heads together. lessen the load on you or whoever else is doing some coding.

akuretz
October 28th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Dave, I'd be willing to help to the best of my ability. I've got more Perl/Mysql experience, but would be willing to put in some hours to help the club. Keep me in mind...