PDA

View Full Version : No-brakes Practice

chrobis
October 7th, 2007, 08:24 AM
I could really benefit from some no-brakes practice - I am constantly over braking for turns because I am not adept enough at knowing how fast I could be going through. The no-brakes drill as introduced by Cal Superbike School and adopted by the MRA race schools is used precisely to allow riders to focus on corner speed without introducing the complicating factor of slowing from the previous straight's higher speed.

That being said, without some indication that a rider is practicing no-brakes drills during a track session, the potential for mayhem is chilling. On the other hand, if there is some indication, then any overtaking rider could easily ride around. I would argue that even a rider that is (normally) substantially slower would be able to plan and execute a pass, giving them valuable experience in that skill.

I'm thinking of something like one of those flourescent orange or green safety vests, perhaps with 'circle "B" slash' symbol on it. These could be donated to the track for any and all to use.

Since Earlene has imposed strict requirements for participation in PMP's track days (i.e., completion of an approved school), this situation could be universally explained to new participants. Since PMP has such a well controlled track entrance process, this information could also be effectively transmitted to any other riders entering the track.

Whaddya think?

TBSgraphics
October 7th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Since Earlene has imposed strict requirements for participation in PMP's track days (i.e., completion of an approved school), this situation could be universally explained to new participants. Since PMP has such a well controlled track entrance process, this information could also be effectively transmitted to any other riders entering the track.

E did not do this, it was the city of pueblo and the insurance companies.

During the track schools offered at pueblo WE do perform many laps with the no brake drill in place and explain this to the students.

If during a track day you want to do this just make sure your aware of any approching fast guys and I dont see why you can't go out there and do it?

The vest idea would work neat, it would let the faster guys know what your up to, so sure if we can get a few green vests and leave them with e or something I guess....

kcecil
October 7th, 2007, 04:35 PM
I've done "no brake drills" during track days and during MRA practice. At the time, I was less than 10 seconds a lap slower without brakes, and when you are getting your paint sucked off anyway, a few seconds isn't any difference. I would think that "no brakes" is more predictable to pass than someone who's braking too hard, too soon for the corner.

turbohoje
October 7th, 2007, 09:08 PM
perhaps practice in a slower group as well

Racing616
October 8th, 2007, 08:20 AM
I think we should all USE our brakes.....how about a no shift or no acceleration drill? :roll:

This doesn't make sense to me folks, however, to each his own. I think if you are doing this drill, and stay on line, you wont be in the way any more than a normal rider being passed.

kcecil
October 8th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I think we should all USE our brakes.....how about a no shift or no acceleration drill? :roll:

The aforementioned California Superbike School begins with no brakes, no shifting.

T Baggins
October 8th, 2007, 11:45 AM
You guys use your brakes?? :-k

Wonder what that would be like? To actually have a bike fast enough to HAVE to use the brakes.

chrobis
October 8th, 2007, 12:45 PM
My whole point is to remove the braking factor from the cornering event. Not using that capability forces a more relaxed preparation for a turn, which then allows more attention to be spent on the cornering dynamics. It puts a much finer focus on entry speed, and entry speed adjustments.

My main concern is that what I intend to do is go slower where everybody else is going faster (the straights), while trying to go faster where everybody else is going slower (the turns). [Brad - I'm 'normal' to you mainly because I'm a whole lot slower than you both on the straights and in the corners. :lol: This is more for the people who don't see me as a traffic cone.] All 'faster' and 'slower' comparisons are relative to the individual.

It seems to me that this behavior could easily be read by an approaching rider as counter-intuitive and erratic; at best, just annoying as they waste time anticipating a passing zone. The vest would alert them to what I'm doing; changing the 'erratic' to 'predictable'.

Do I have too much time on my hands?

Jon
October 8th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Yeah the no brakes drill's brilliant in helping one develop a since of speed and I've done whole weekday practices at Pueblo doing it actually getting down to 1:41's without there assistance. Problem is when you do get back on the binders it just upsets the chassis and screws you up. Last time I did it the fastest I went without the brakes was 1:41.3 then when I started using them I couldn't get faster than a :38! I went home collected my thoughts and returned to do low 34's more along the lines of what I'm used to.
Regardless, it's a great practice drill and I found that since basically your going slower into the turns with sometimes a later turn in point that people coming up on me wasn't the problem, it was me coming up on others. Probably something you want to practice during a weekday practice, not a MRA practice though I bet if we were to have a race without brakes I could do pretty damn well! Best of luck to you,

chris nami
October 8th, 2007, 05:13 PM
i think that those kinds of drills have their place and can be of use to someone learning some of the fine points of going fast.( i.e. California superbike school and the like.) because every one is doing the same drill.
that said i think a track day is NOT the place for it. it is hard enough for a person to safely pass another rider when they are essentially doing the same thing...accelerating, braking...there is a predictability to what we are all doing out there even if another rider is slower.
when a rider is doing something very different than what everyone else (i.e. no brakes, trying to get out of the way,syndicate barbie showboating... lol... HAMMER!) he/she creates dangerous situations.
when an overtaking rider can't predict what another rider is doing in a matter of seconds (vest or not) it becomes dangerous for everyone.
MY POINT= try working on the things all the good riders do like brake markers, apex, getting on the gas...save the drills for your xr100.:idea: :wink: