PDA

View Full Version : Can you volunteer for the Spider Bob Benefit Trackday?

rforsythe
October 2nd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Edit: Tue 11/13, 12:45pm: Please see my last post for details.

Yo MRA corner crew! We need corners manned for the Spider Bob benefit trackday at Pueblo on Saturday November 17th. We also have the 18th and 24th as backup days in case we get weathered out.

I know some of you have contacted Joe indicating you will be there - if you could reply here and let me know, that would be great as well. For the rest of you, please come down and help! This trackday is to help Spider Bob, who remains sedated in the ICU at St Mary Corwin hospital in Pueblo from a very bad wreck at the last event. We anticipate a lot of riders and a very full track, so having as many corners fully staffed as possible will really improve safety for everyone involved.

Please come help! This isn't a paid day, it's all volunteer, but it's for a great cause. If you saw the crash, you know how bad it was and why we're doing this. If you didn't, well, I hope we never see another one like it.

We'll work out free food and libations for any crew that comes down. The only way this isn't happening on the 17th is if the track is wet, otherwise we ride! It may be cold, but hey we have coats and gloves for that. If I have to I will drive hot chocolate around to all you guys in the turns every couple hours, but it'll be a kick ass day. :) (and I will be volunteering as "bike guy" for this one, so I'll be freezing my nads off with the rest of you if I have to).

Please come work, and please let me know if you can and are going to. 8)

Thanks!!
- Ralph

Timmay!
October 6th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I posted a reply on the general forum.
http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=5017

I will be there and I will be bringing the MRA truck and all the stuff. (unless I can convince Vince to do it.) Either way Michelle, Autumn, and I will be there to help corner work. I hope others of you reading this thread will do the same.

I'm doing this as not only is it a very worthy cause, but because I know Bob would have done it for any of us.

rforsythe
October 6th, 2007, 07:42 PM
THANK YOU!!!

shaneboone
October 14th, 2007, 04:54 PM
As the guy who called in this horrific crash I too will be there ,,, Something about a bike 20 feet in the air and a rider another 10 feet above the bike that just makes your heart stop for a moment. I for one am happy he is alive and will do what I can to help in this benifit to raise monies for his hospital bills certainly . Everything is a go except for weather at this late date ...Nov 19... is this right ? .... coming from north central colorado. As of today we got 12inches of snow so come Nov 19 is asking a lot coming from the Estes Park area. But if weather permits I'll make it. shane-

rforsythe
October 14th, 2007, 05:00 PM
As the guy who called in this horrific crash I too will be there ,,, Something about a bike 20 feet in the air and a rider another 10 feet above the bike that just makes your heart stop for a moment. I for one am happy he is alive and will do what I can to help in this benifit to raise monies for his hospital bills certainly . Everything is a go except for weather at this late date ...Nov 19... is this right ? .... coming from north central colorado. As of today we got 12inches of snow so come Nov 19 is asking a lot coming from the Estes Park area. But if weather permits I'll make it. shane-

Hi Shane,

Thanks for volunteering to help!! November 17, Saturday is the plan. The 18th is a backup date, and Earlene has also given us the 24th as another alternate (also a Saturday) in case a big weather event manages to trump the preceding weekend.

cornerworkr
October 15th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Hey, Ralph
I'm planning to be there also. Let us know the show up time, please.
Bob Heaton

KipBook
October 15th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Count me in! I spoke to the wife and she is fine with either postponing our anniversary weekend or having it early. Either way, I will be there! I will flag or ride a chase bike or ?... This is your gig so use me as you need. I think this is a great idea and it will be a pleasure to a part of.

Kip-

*GSXR~SNAIL*
October 17th, 2007, 01:58 AM
I'm in! I look forward to helping out in any way I can for this event. I'll see you there.

Get well Bob!

froth
October 18th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Hey Hey Ralphie!

I'll be there, with the trailer, and likely a few XRs for crews to ride. Teri may be there, depending on the kid's swim meet schedule.

Looks like Bob's getting cognisant (sic) so this could be REALLY fun!

rforsythe
October 18th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks everyone! On show-up time, Joe and I are still working out when the track goes hot. He's thinking 10am, I think we could go a little earlier, but at the moment plan on being there at 8:30am. That should give us time to set up and get everyone out there. I'm going to get some sort of breakfast for the crew as well (burrito or something maybe, we shall see). Maybe I can talk Dysco into getting his mad pancake cooking skillz on for you guys too.

I think we're going to have a lot of dirt bikes available, though most people will be in corners as usual. Tim, Kip, and myself will probably be on the bikes for the most part (and Michelle on the ATV?), but if crew want to ride their own out to the turns that is fine with me (just don't go tearing off on it after a crash if you're supposed to be there watching or flagging). :) I'll bring my DR, and possibly an XR if I get it in time.

Gone_Skiing
October 23rd, 2007, 08:41 AM
Erika and I will be there to help out any way we can. I'm glad to hear Bob's out of the hospital and is going to recover....

See you all in Pueblo!

-Nick

VParra '06EquipMgr
November 2nd, 2007, 11:18 AM
Hey Ralph,

I'll be riding on my "Titian Silver 1150 RT" in getting down to the track to help out for Spider-Man Bob.

. . . Unless Tim wants to help me load my bike in the M.R.A. Truck and I'll drive the truck down!?

Either way, I'll be down to help. Count me In!

****** update: Hope the weather holds up on the 17th or the 18th . . . otherwise, I'll be out of town on the 24th ***********

I'll bring my camera and take group &/or individual pics with all Donations going to the cause . . .

rforsythe
November 2nd, 2007, 11:59 AM
Thanks Vince! Yeah Tim is planning to bring the truck, so get with him on that.

William Rosebrook
November 7th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I haven't had any time to work on my bike so would like to help by working a corner if you still need people. Let me know.
Willie Rosebrook

rforsythe
November 9th, 2007, 08:34 PM
We do need people, please be there no later than 8:30am (earlier if you want first crack at some breakfast, we'll have some pancakes and stuff going one way or another).

Thanks!

Kickstand
November 10th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Hey guys,
I'm trying to be be down there for pregrid... are we going to have stickers or something to tell between half and full day people?

Tawny

rforsythe
November 12th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Tawny - Everyone is full day now, however we will have stickers to differentiate between who is in what riding group based on skill. So if someone comes up with a 'slow' sticker trying to get in the 'fast' group, you can turn them around, beat them with a spare flag, etc.

rforsythe
November 13th, 2007, 12:43 PM
For whoever is driving the truck down: We are now going hot at 9:20am, so it is vital that the truck be there no later than 8:15-8:30am (earlier is better, I will be at the track by 7am). We will need time to get things unloaded from the truck before taking workers out, and the truck needs to be going out with crew by 9:05am to start on time. I'm not sure who is driving it, but if you have any questions please let me know. Also please give the radios a charge on Friday so they're good for the day.

For all other crew, 8:30am is still the "be there by" time for you - again, please meet over by the timing tower in turn 10 (SW corner of the track). I will either be there or by the big Racing 2 Save Lives trailer (in the vicinity of Vanmar) if you have questions, otherwise just show up at the tower and wait. I will have someone cooking pancakes for you guys by 8am, so showing up early means you get food sooner. ;)

ALL CREW PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. Dress appropriately. As of this post we expect good weather in the mid-60's, but the morning will be chilly, and forecasts do change. The sun also goes down sooner now, so expect it to cool off a little towards the end.
2. Please wear light colored clothing (jeans are OK if you don't have painters pants), NO RED OR YELLOW please - riders aren't always the most attentive bunch, and we don't want one thinking you are a flag and checking up hard in front of someone else right behind them.
3. We will break for lunch, food for all volunteers is free. The day will end at 4pm.
4. Most of our crew is experienced, however we do have some rookies coming. This is fine, we will go over what to do before you go out - also another reason that it is vital everyone be present NO LATER than 8:30am.
5. Please remember whatever sunscreen/etc you think you will need. You might bring bug spray, though I think the recent freezing temps have probably killed most of the little bastards.

Any questions, etc please let me know, and I will say this a lot between now and the end of Saturday, but THANK YOU to all of you coming down to help us pull this thing off!!!!!

Gone_Skiing
November 13th, 2007, 01:10 PM
In case anyone is keeping count, my brother will be joining us to volunteer so add one more to the list...

-Nick

Kickstand
November 16th, 2007, 09:51 AM
sorry for the late notice but my best friend is delivering her baby tomorrow (16 weeks early) & I really need to be with her. So I do apologize for not being able to help out

I hope yall have a great day & stay SAFE!!!

Tawny

P.S. who is taking the truck down to Pueblo?

phildrummond
November 16th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Ralph- confirming I'll be there. I'll be there around 8.

Anyone wanting to share some gas, the car leaves at 6:45 from Highlands Ranch or we can meet along the way...shoot me a reply or call. I have to come back right after the day.

-Tom
720-940-9693

rforsythe
November 18th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Big thanks again for coming down yesterday, everyone! It really made the day work having all of you there. It was also really nice knowing I could trust everyone to get it done, and the day was a huge success as a result.

All of the riders who crashed are fine; the worst (the first one in T2 during the class) got his bell rung a bit, but his friends had the hospital check him out and called me last night to let me know he was just fine. His bike (well, the bike he was borrowing :shock: ) had a few more holes in it as evidenced by the leaking gas and oil, but it'll live. I don't think we had any other injuries during the day.

I've heard a lot of comments from the riders about how thankful they were to have you all out there watching over them. Everyone is really appreciative that you all came out to volunteer your time. 8)

InlineSix24
November 20th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Glad to hear that he was ok - guess he made out better than the asphault on the shortcut!

Spiderman
November 20th, 2007, 02:02 PM
I'd also like to thank everyone that donated their time/equipment/etc. to help make this the success it was. =D>