PDA

View Full Version : Anyone insure their race bikes?

OConnell
September 27th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I want to get some sort of coverage for the race bikes.

I know nothing will cover crashes etc, but what I want to find is a policy to cover fire and theft. Fire for if my building burns down with bike in the garage, and theft in case they are stolen from home or trailer while traveling. A total loss on both bikes at once would really suck.

I couldn't find any renters policy that would cover vehicles at all.

Anyone know of a company that will provide this kind of coverage?

T Baggins
September 27th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Progressive will insure pretty much anything that has a vin. I have comp and collision on my WR250F - partly so I can have a plate for riding fire-roads, partly so if it gets stolen it is covered under the comprehensive. $75 per year. They would have insured my RZ500 race bike for about $150 a year.

The GECCO
September 27th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I would call your car insurance company and explain what you want because it's basically the "comprehensive" half of a "comprehensive and collision" policy.

I assume that you don't own a house since you said "renters policy", but if you do you can get the bikes covered under your homeowners insurance and it's probably cheaper than the auto comprehensive policy.

Lel399
September 27th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I assume that you don't own a house since you said "renters policy", but if you do you can get the bikes covered under your homeowners insurance and it's probably cheaper than the auto comprehensive policy.

I had no luck getting mine under a homeowners... even our scooter haha

We have a separate comprehensive policy on my bike and our scooter :)... actually we have liability on the scooter too since we ride it all around highlands ranch all the time... was a whopping $6 month for full coverage! haha

I have comprehensive on the bikes (and auto/life/home/trailer) through liberty mutual. The bike is roughly $120/year covers everything except for crashes basically.

OConnell
September 27th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Tried progressive, no go. I can get comp & coll but they said if they find out it is a race bike they will refuse to pay out on coverage, regardless if it is sitting in the garage when something happens.

Yes, I still rent, and the renters policy wont cover them, even if stored in the policy covered garage, since Its an apartment with attached garage. Which is nice, because then all of my racing "accessories" are covered. I tried my auto insurance, as well as a couple of others, and had an independent agent try all of their policy providers.

Im hoping someone on here has done this successfully.

Lel399
September 27th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Call Chad Otto @ Liberty Mutual (720) 489-8400 ext 57259 (though I think he might be on vacation this week) and tell him that you want to do a comprehensive 'storage' policy. The way my policy works is if it is stolen or the place burns down it is covered, but it is not considered a bike that is ridden, so there is no liability etc.

I believe thats how the policy is written... not 100% sure. Chad is an AWESOME insurance rep... has done my insurance for the past 10 years and does a great job. Like I said I have my bike/scooter/trailer/both autos/home owners/beths separate jewelry insurance and life insurance with him!

jason

newb
September 27th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Comp cost me 50 bucks a year and they know it's a race bike. Covers fire and theft.

OConnell
September 27th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Comp cost me 50 bucks a year and they know it's a race bike. Covers fire and theft.

Care to share who you have it with?

OConnell
September 27th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Call Chad Otto @ Liberty Mutual (720) 489-8400 ext 57259 (though I think he might be on vacation this week) and tell him that you want to do a comprehensive 'storage' policy. The way my policy works is if it is stolen or the place burns down it is covered, but it is not considered a bike that is ridden, so there is no liability etc.

I believe thats how the policy is written... not 100% sure. Chad is an AWESOME insurance rep... has done my insurance for the past 10 years and does a great job. Like I said I have my bike/scooter/trailer/both autos/home owners/beths separate jewelry insurance and life insurance with him!

jason

Thanks,
Ill give him a call Monday

bluedevil
September 28th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Fire and Theft..... Most Ins comp offer it... It covers nothing while you are on it..... but if the house burns down or someone takes it .. you are covered....

And its SUPER cheep...... I wanna say less than 10 bucks a month.