PDA

View Full Version : new vintage/small displacement class

marty
September 15th, 2007, 12:09 AM
after seeing the post about the rd400 i started wondering how many of those era of bikes are sitting around in folks garages. so i wanted to put the feelers out to see if there is any interest in starting a class that would be mainly small displacement bikes, vintage bikes and the such. basically colorado class with old bikes and small displacement modern bikes (thruxtons, rs125, tz125, 125s with 4T conversions, FZ600, GS550, RD400, RZ350, etc...). i am pretty new to what bikes were race bikes in yesteryears so i would be open to any other ideas on what bikes would be competitive w/o being a total ringer.

marty

Jon
September 15th, 2007, 08:53 AM
If you recollect the on going status of the Colorado class once, not too long ago called Formula Colorado you will see that there's very little
interest in it. With even the Lightweight GP class shrinking as everyone's getting out and getting a 600 or above bike. Funny thing though as I know of at least two riders who have downsized to a lowly 650 twin and are having great fun again.
If you interested in racing a RD-350/400 or anything vintage give www.ahrma.org a gander. There's no room here.
I do know of another rider and myself who are interested in racing converted dirtbikes take a gander @ www.450moto.com Looks like great fun to me!

marty
September 15th, 2007, 11:47 AM
kinda what i figured but figured i would throw it out there anyways

Scored51
September 15th, 2007, 01:35 PM
The last season a vintage class was run in the MRA was 2000, I believe. (Anyone can feel free to correct me). It was the last race of the day, and the grid had a field of only three bikes. :( Easy to see why it got the ax.

You may also want to check out the Sandia groupat www.SMRI-racing.org The last time I looked they do have vintage classes on the books, although I don't know how well they fill the grids.

Jon
September 16th, 2007, 12:25 AM
I'm not sure I remember any vintage racing besides that of modern vintage in the MRA. I know we've had some older modern vintage stuff but no real vintage. I remember JT Terry kicking our butts in 1993 on a 1966 Honda 450 though.
If you want true Vintage, I've got plenty of pictures from AHRMA Daytona, Mid Ohio and other events throughout the country. That's what Vintage is to me Suprisingly these bikes with modern roadrace tires and suspension upgrades are fast. You may be surprised on how fast actually these guys go. Will Harding's a former competitor of Ricky Orlando's in other words was racing when RO started and still racing and going fast.He rides a real Vintage Hand shifter a 1941 Indian. Not sure how many of our riders or me could actually figure out how to ride one of these. I hear it's kind of tricky!