PDA

View Full Version : 99-02 sv 650 motor

Hotrod
September 10th, 2007, 08:38 AM
I need a new motor for my SV, the carburated early model. I think they went fuelie in 03. Anyone have one laying around? :(

dave.gallant
September 10th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I need a new motor for my SV, the carburated early model. I think they went fuelie in 03. Anyone have one laying around? :(

99-02 is the 1st gen, 03-present is the 2nd gen EFI motor.

EFI motor is dimensionally identical except on the stator/alternator side and the cam positions sensors in the heads on the EFI models, although the rods and cranks are different in the newer models.

An EFI motor can be made to fit in an older chassis, but the airbox and the frame will have to be modified slightly to allow the throttle bodies to clear the frame. The fuel pump'd tank would have to be used as well.

Dean at D2 cycles is coming across lots of bikes and takes care of lots of the MRA racers. Check him out at www.d2cycles.com and hopefully he hook you up with a new motor (or the parts to rebuild yours).

Hotrod
September 10th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks Dave!
Checked out D2 cycles and didn't see any sv motors...

Interesting thought on making a fuelie motor work for next year. I was kind of hoping to have it back together in time for the next pueblo and last race of the season. With that in mind, I don't have alot of time for tearing down my motor (nasty bottom end knock, possible spun rod bearing) or doing the necessary R&D to make a fuelie fit. I was hoping to get lucky and find a plug-n-play solution.

Besides, I really like my flatslides.
Is the fuelie enough of a step up, all else being equal, that it would outperform a well tuned set of flatslides? Are the FI systems capable of feeding a modded motor? I want to build up the motor over the winter.
Sorry, off topic, I know. There is a wild rumor going around that you may have played around with an SV or two though.... :D

dave.gallant
September 10th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Thanks Dave!

Interesting thought on making a fuelie motor work for next year. I was kind of hoping to have it back together in time for the next pueblo and last race of the season. With that in mind, I don't have alot of time for tearing down my motor (nasty bottom end knock, possible spun rod bearing) or doing the necessary R&D to make a fuelie fit. I was hoping to get lucky and find a plug-n-play solution.

Is the fuelie enough of a step up, all else being equal, that it would outperform a well tuned set of flatslides? Are the FI systems capable of feeding a modded motor? I want to build up the motor over the winter.
Sorry, off topic, I know. There is a wild rumor going around that you may have played around with an SV or two though.... :D

Drop Dean an email. He keeps his website up to date, but you never know what last minute thing he has come across.

An older motor with flatslides will do just fine against an EFI motor, and to be honest the flatslides flow much better than the restrictive(ish) throttle bodies. The major difference between the two motors is the cams, with the EFI model having a more aggressive grind. Everything else is very similar.

I know that Jurgen Wimbauer and Ben Fox had great luck with 'Busa pistons and a particular Web grind cam for the 99-02 motor with flatslides, and that combo right there would be stronger than a stock(ish) EFI motor.

Also, I actually like the chassis of the older bike better although the tank was too wide and I liked the new-style narrow tank.

Overall, you don't need to make a hand grenade out those little bikes to make them competitive; you just need them to be stone reliable to so you can push them and yourself to their limits!

akuretz
September 11th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Thanks Dave!

If this is the same bike that Shannon was riding last weekend in Pueblo, my bone stock EFI motor was dead even with the 822 machine down the straight at Pueblo. Unless one of us got a better drive out of 10, we didn't gap each other at all down the straight (at least until braking into turn 1, where my bike was significantly more stable). :) Good luck getting a motor sorted for the next Pueblo, we like having the LW grids as full as possible!

Hotrod
September 12th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Yup, same bike. bone stocker w well sorted 39 fcr's.