PDA

View Full Version : A rail (to make a single-rail bike carrier)

Spiderman
August 20th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Edit: Title changed ... was "A steel dirtbike ramp"

Anybody got one laying around? It's for a project I have in mind - It won't remain a ramp for very long, and it seems like such a shame to destroy a new one.

TIA 8)

glenngsxr
August 20th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Bob,
I got a spare one you could have. Glenn #62

Spiderman
August 22nd, 2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the offer, Glenn, but after answering my PM maybe a regular ramp is NOT what I'm looking for after all. :oops:

I'm basically looking to add a small "rail" (think 3-rail trailer) to the front of my trailer so I can carry a smaller dirtbike (PW-80), so it's going to need a lip along each side to keep the wheels in place. What I had in mind was the small ramp that was included with the 3-rail trailer I used to have.

I have some other ideas that might work as well, but does anybody have anything that might work as a rail on its own?

Thanks again.

Hotrod
August 23rd, 2007, 08:24 AM
Bob, what width are you looking for? I have some steel "U" channel here at work in varying widths... might be perfect...

bluedevil
August 23rd, 2007, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the offer, Glenn, but after answering my PM maybe a regular ramp is NOT what I'm looking for after all. :oops:

I'm basically looking to add a small "rail" (think 3-rail trailer) to the front of my trailer so I can carry a smaller dirtbike (PW-80), so it's going to need a lip along each side to keep the wheels in place. What I had in mind was the small ramp that was included with the 3-rail trailer I used to have.

I have some other ideas that might work as well, but does anybody have anything that might work as a rail on its own?

Thanks again.

I use these and they are similar to what you explain.... Its a ramp with lips on both sides if you flip it over..... Just a thought... They often fo onsale for 34.99 a set.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44649

Spiderman
August 23rd, 2007, 10:59 AM
Hmmm... Glenn said he got his from Harbor Freight... I may have to do some more research. Thanks for pointing that out, Dion. 8)

bluedevil
August 23rd, 2007, 11:06 AM
You know me... When in doubt Harborfreight (or ACE Hardware) has it... HAHA

Hell I even built a nice air intake system from Lowes for my scoot under 15 bucks... haha Pushing out a big 3 ponies now. 8)

Hell I built my bike using those 2 stores.... :oops:

kidding kidding....

glenngsxr
August 23rd, 2007, 11:11 AM
Bob, those are the ramps I have. Now I see what you are looking for. I still have it if interested. Glenn #62

Spiderman
August 23rd, 2007, 11:38 AM
Bob, what width are you looking for? I have some steel "U" channel here at work in varying widths... might be perfect...Lincoln, I'm not 100% sure (haven't measured), but I'm guessing around 6" wide would work.

Bob, those are the ramps I have. Now I see what you are looking for. I still have it if interested. Glenn #62Thanks Glenn, I'll shoot you a PM. 8)