PDA

View Full Version : R6 ECU flashing?

zhimsel
May 2nd, 2017, 01:02 PM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to install a PCV and Autotune on my 2008 R6, but I bought the PCV itself used, and it didn't come with the O2 Optimizer. According to Dynojet, I need to retain the stock O2 sensor (using their $90 optimizer) and weld-in the Autotune's wide-band sensor. However, from what I understand, it's possible to disable the low-duty ECU map and the stock O2 sensor completely by flashing the ECU.

Does anyone near Boulder have a ECU flash kit for my bike already (that I can borrow for 20 min)? Or are there any respectable shops nearby that flash R6 ECUs?

Thanks!

TD675
May 2nd, 2017, 03:25 PM
Imperial and quickcycles have the Flashtune stuff. You'd need a dyno run though to get it right, same as the PCV with no autotune.

I'm pretty sure I have an O2 optimizer. Isn't that just the plug that plugs into the 02 on the harness to trick the ecu into thinking the sensor is still there so you can remove it? Anyway. my bike doesn't have an O2 and I have that little plug thing if you need it. It's for a Triumph, but I'm pretty sure it would work.

zhimsel
May 2nd, 2017, 05:24 PM
Imperial and quickcycles have the Flashtune stuff. You'd need a dyno run though to get it right, same as the PCV with no autotune.

I'm pretty sure I have an O2 optimizer. Isn't that just the plug that plugs into the 02 on the harness to trick the ecu into thinking the sensor is still there so you can remove it? Anyway. my bike doesn't have an O2 and I have that little plug thing if you need it. It's for a Triumph, but I'm pretty sure it would work.

I have a strong feeling that your optimizer would not work with my bike. From what DynoJet has told me, for the R6 of these model years, the stock O2 sensor is retained, and a device goes inline to modify the signal from the sensor. I know with some bikes it's eliminated and a device to fake a sensor reading 14.7 replaces it.

For what it's worth, I just finished my PCV and Autotune install and tested the bike. It seems to be working fine with the stock sensor completely unplugged. I won't know for sure until I go for a test ride and give the engine some load and speed.

Thanks for the heads up on Imperial and Quickcycles. I'll give them a call and see what they charge. I'm half-tempted to just pony up the dough and buy my own flash interface.