PDA

View Full Version : HPR R2 Thanks to Imperial Sportbikes and Sol Performance..from Todd#799

trackaddict
June 3rd, 2014, 02:01 PM
Big thanks to Tim and Tres from Imperial Sportbike who help sponsor my first year effort on a Ducati 848.

While I was very excited to get into the Sunday SuperTwins and Thunderbike races, a blown motor on Fri morning practice had it grounded in the pits early.
Turned out to be a seized head, stuck valve and shredded belt but at the time troubleshooting it just seemed "slow to turn over" and hard to start. DOH!

With many calls to Tim and Tres while I fumbled around troubleshooting it on Fri night and Sat am, they sent out spare coils, injectors and throttle bodies to "fix" the fuel/spark issue.
Once it was discovered to be a blown head and timing belt, Tres drove out from Denver with parts in hand on Sat afternoon and swapped out the head on site, in my pit.
Service doesn't get any better then that and it made it possible for me to take the grids on Sunday.

During the SuperTwins GTO race I quickly discovered a half worn takeoff is no match for the monster torque on this 848 and I was fighting a sliding rear end the whole race to manage a mid pack finish of 7th.
I needed a new Pirelli SC2 quickly and I managed to chase down Oscar from Sol Performance who was on the race wall at the time. Since I had another back to back race and little time to spare before Thunderbike , Oscar did a super fast 5min tire swap for me so I would be ready. Big Thanks!

ThunderBike was next for the Duc848 but a slower then expected transition from the back to back Open SB race left me missing the grid and starting from Hot Pit. Thanks to Geoff Snyder for helping with my warmers and transponder pin which I was bumbling around with my gloves on. The joke is with my terrible grid launches anyway I now kinda prefer blending into the race from Hot Pit. Can I always do that? haha
That sticky new Pirelli SC2 kept the Duc planted on the corner exits and I posted my best times so far while finishing with a 5th place. Maybe if I make the grids next round I can even do better.

AM-GTO was next so hopped on the GSXR-1K, made it to grid with equally sticky Pirelli's and took my 1st win of the year. WooHoo.
The GSXR was also plagued with an intermittent electrical issue causing it to cut off throttle on exits ( think high side city ) Thanks to Art, Geoff, Tim, Stave, Brandon and several others who helped me eventually track it down to the side stand switch which had become frayed and was grounding on the belly pan when leaned over. That was no fun during the 24 laps I managed to get out of it on the endurance. That's a whole different story. Better luck to us next yr right Geoff?

An exhausting and exciting R2.
See ya'll at Pueblo.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dm0tvbm770or6xu/2014-05-31%2015.20.36.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2dd2am4ygcv55f/2014-05-31%2014.51.37.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dm0tvbm770or6xu/2014-05-31%2015.20.36.jpg

cjmagnuss
June 3rd, 2014, 03:51 PM
Tim and Tres are awesome, talented dudes!

Nice job!

Sol Performance
June 3rd, 2014, 10:31 PM
Smiling while reading this post Todd. Although you had some rough waters, you paddled on and was able to hit some smooth seas. Very glad we were able to get that rear back on the bike and you posted some great lap times. Congrats and keep having fun buddy!