PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance, Major Medical???? Covers racing accidents?

Holymun
April 25th, 2014, 09:59 PM
I'm looking into getting health insurance, or some sort of major medical, now that I am starting to race. I spoke with an insurance broker, and I was told there is no insurance available that covers an on track racing accident. Or if I had regular health ins. or major medical, and got hurt racing, I would not be covered, because I am choosing to put myself at risk. Anyone have any experience or knowledge in this area? Everyone says to get health insurance if you're racing, which is a no brainer, but if it doesn't cover racing accidents, what's the point! And who all is going to call there insurance company to find out they are not covered in a racing accident? There's gotta be something out there????

JimWilson29
April 25th, 2014, 11:16 PM
http://ridersurance.com/Insurance-Plans

nobasin
April 26th, 2014, 07:41 AM
I am no expert on this, but i have researched fairly extensively recently having had to change health insurance providers. I believe your broker is wrong as part of new regulations in colorado and as part of the ACA, insurance companies cannot deny coverage for 'risky activities' any more as part of the 'medical underwriting' process. this typically included any type of motorsports racing, scuba, sky diving and even rock climbing. The ACA eliminated medical underwriting, which was where you had to put the last 40000 years of your medical history and if you had acne as a teen, you could get denied coverage because of a 'pre-existing' condition. However, regarding motorsports racing, the catch is that it must be uncompensated amateur racing. If you are getting paid in any way (and that does not include contingency or sponsorship) you won't be covered. They may still ask on the application if you engage in these activities, and your premiums may reflect that in the form of higher rates, but they cannot deny a claim if you are injured during a race and make a claim. I've talked with the underwriting and benefits departments of many insurance companies (painful) and though most are clueless initially, they all have confirmed that coverage or a claim cannot be denied if you get hurt at an MRA event. But please don't take my word for it and do the research yourself.

TD675
April 26th, 2014, 08:08 AM
I was involved in a racing incident last year and was not turned down when I sought treatment for my injuries. I have Kaiser. I've never called and asked anything specifically about whether or not racing is covered. I even told the at the hospital that it happened while racing and it was no one ever cared.

And there is your other option...don't tell them that it happened during a race.

nobasin
April 26th, 2014, 12:12 PM
And there is your other option...don't tell them that it happened during a race.

i wouldn't recommend doing that, because if the insurance company finds out you were not being truthful about the incident (and they often will do some research before paying out on a claim), that is for sure grounds to deny a claim.

even though open enrollment on the colorado exchange is closed, you can still call them and get a ton of answers regarding the policies that were available during open enrollment. all the policies on the exchange guaranteed you coverage no matter what your medical history or current participation in high risk activities. 855.752.6749

Bee833
April 26th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Good advice from nobasin. Usually only life insurance will prohibit coverage if you die doing something risky (sky diving, etc) but not health insurance. And it will be clearly spelled out in the policy. Ask for the plan document that explains all benefits and exclusions, as it will say exactly what is not covered.

I have Anthem, and work for them, and took an MRA member to the hospital last year post incident and used Anthem and had no problems, but this was a group policy and not an individual one. Just read the fine print.

Good luck and don't come to track without insurance!

Holymun
April 26th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm still looking into getting something in place before race one. I just couldn't believe I was being told by an insurance broker that racing accident coverage didn't exist. Too bad for them. I guess it's not everyday you get a phone call with someone looking for health ins. that covers motorcycle road racing accidents. Thanks again for all the info. Will be seeing everyone at the track in no time.

Clarkie
April 26th, 2014, 10:46 PM
One problem you may run into is because you pay an entry degree and prizes are awarded it can be considered a 'professional sporting event' abd can also be classified as an extreme sport.