PDA

View Full Version : La Junta has been cancelled

The GECCO
May 7th, 2007, 10:15 PM
see here http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?p=23210#23210

akuretz
May 7th, 2007, 11:26 PM
'Tis a shame, I actually kind of enjoyed La Junta.

bluedevil
May 8th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Me too...

Ashli
May 8th, 2007, 08:55 AM
WOOHOO! Sorry Dion, I know you liked that track, personally I never wanted to go back there. :?

bluedevil
May 8th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Im fixing up a nice road race track in my area.... Its goona be about 3.1 miles.
Goes from 128th and Colorado to Riverdale Rd (nice and curvy) back to hwy 7 (LONG straight), down to Washington frontage road (S section), and back again.

Ambulance services will be provided courtesy of 911
Entrance fees...well.... None I guess.
Contingency: Well on the contingency that you dont die, you get to race again.
track side fuel: Conoco is ringt on the final turn of the track, so if you pull a Honda in Daytona, U can fill er up and gring it to the finish line :lol:
Air Fence: Well there are some nice bushes and shrubs along this route, but Id reccomend just not falling down.....

So who's ready ? :roll:

uberwench
May 8th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I'm in! That's up in my neck of the woods. There's a golf course there, too - should we make it a biathlon?

Jon
May 8th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Then may I assume that the Kawi date moves to the Hastings event in July, or should we wait for our esteemed Vice President to comment? Thanks for letting us know well in advance and beleive me I will support the new facility. I just hope I'm still racing when it opens!

cu260r6
May 8th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Im fixing up a nice road race track in my area.... Its goona be about 3.1 miles.
Goes from 128th and Colorado to Riverdale Rd (nice and curvy) back to hwy 7 (LONG straight), down to Washington frontage road (S section), and back again.

Ambulance services will be provided courtesy of 911
Entrance fees...well.... None I guess.
Contingency: Well on the contingency that you dont die, you get to race again.
track side fuel: Conoco is ringt on the final turn of the track, so if you pull a Honda in Daytona, U can fill er up and gring it to the finish line :lol:
Air Fence: Well there are some nice bushes and shrubs along this route, but Id reccomend just not falling down.....

So who's ready ? :roll:

So basically an improvement on La Junta. :)

bluedevil
May 8th, 2007, 04:37 PM
So basically an improvement on La Junta. :)

Well the surface is better...but there are those damn SUV's.........

SUV or Concrete wall? ehh half dozen of 1, six of the other....right?

Wahooman
May 8th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Dion....you can use my garage as a PIT STOP.....you know where I am at :lol:

R1-2NV
May 16th, 2007, 05:51 PM
WOOHOO! Sorry Dion, I know you liked that track, personally I never wanted to go back there. :?

What she said!!!

Damm your avatar is :shock: :oops: Sorry Hoopty I had to say somthing. :oops:

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
August 30th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Hi everyone. I hate to do this, but I felt compelled to try to put the right view and hopefully some local pressure on the La Junta track management & city council ...

Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2008 10:51 AM
To: Info@CBRyouthconnect.org
Subject: CBR contribution & city issues w/La Junta raceway

Hi

I recently received mail from CBR YouthConnect requesting a donation. I definitely support your organization and the service you provide the La Junta community. I am a member of the Motorcycle Roadracing Association who hosted a “free entry” day for some of your youth a couple of years ago at La Junta raceway during one of our motorcycle race events. I suspect that’s how you got my contact information.

As you may or may not know, the La Junta track management was uncooperative in helping the MRA schedule races there last year. I don’t know all of the details, but it seems there were some city government officials who didn’t want motorcycle racing to return to La Junta after an accident in 2006. That accident happened during a La Junta racetrack sponsored event, not an MRA racing event. Unfortunately, it seems the track management (and possibly the city officials) decided motorcycles were the problem, not the organization running the event.

As a result, I will decline contributing to CBR YouthConnect. It troubles me to do this but if you can help convince the LaJunta City Council that the MRA should be invited back to the La Junta racetrack, I’d love to help your organization.

Best regards,
Jim Brewer
MRA #90

froth
August 30th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks Jim: you put it a lot nicer than I would have.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
August 31st, 2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks Jim: you put it a lot nicer than I would have.
Well, I know CBR has nothing to do with the dumbass decisions and behavior of the track management and the city council.

I'm hoping they will, however, tell the city government that dissing racers has a long lasting financial impact in many areas. I wrote a similar letter to The West Condominiums in Steamboat a few years back in response to a mailing where they asked me to come back.

Jon
August 31st, 2008, 12:07 PM
Was Lajunta on this years schedule originally? I could have sworn that the city counsel dropped us as they were agreeable to the terms we sat out for them in regards to some needed changes in order to make the track safe. News to me and kind of questioning the likelihood that we should ever go back as we will have a new home venue for the club next year as well as the new Genoa track too.

froth
August 31st, 2008, 12:11 PM
I would think it's not very likely, but I would like to run there just one more time. Last time I was there, I had yet to get a knee touching, so it would be fun to see how much I can improve my time. The large drive time, and heat (remember the bone chilling 139F track temp, brrrrrr! :lol: )

I'd go back, though. The massive groups at dinner was fun.