PDA

View Full Version : Procedure Change Proposal – Calls during Opening Ceremonies

WolFeYeZ
January 21st, 2014, 06:53 PM
After my first year of racing I found one thing that bugged me a bit, the race calls during opening ceremonies. Every one of us has a routine during calls such as checking gas, gearing up, checking tire pressures, getting the GoPro started, warming up the bike, etc. Getting all this done during the opening ceremonies without some disrespect to the National Anthem or Boot’s prayers is nearly impossible. So I propose that instead of having 3rd call end the opening ceremonies, we end the ceremonies with 2nd or even 1st call. It would only delay the day by 2-3 minutes.

Additional Information:

Novice GTU is the first race on Saturday with calls during the ceremony. Is it really the best idea to have all of the Novices who do not have set routine yet freaking out trying to get everything done while attempting to pay respect to the opening ceremonies? It promotes a rushed mindset in the Novices and personally, that is not the best mindset to be racing with. It also makes it more likely for a Novice to forget something important.

Some may say you should just get ready before the calls or ceremony even start, but that is easier said than done. Often the ceremonies are delayed a little due to air fences and setup. It can be very hard to judge when racing for the day is actually going to start. Also, every other race does not have to worry about this.

Other Novices or Ex-Novices please post if you agree or have some other reasoning. Everyone else, bash away! :D

rforsythe
January 21st, 2014, 07:29 PM
He has a fair point, actually. Novices sometimes have a hard enough time as it is, giving them a couple extra minutes to settle themselves mentally definitely couldn't hurt.

The GECCO
January 21st, 2014, 10:51 PM
How is getting ready before the opening ceremonies easier said than done? There are three 20 min(?) practice sessions between novice fast and opening ceremonies, if that isn't enough time to change your tires, fuel the bike and put the warmers on then you need to enlist some help. The opening ceremonies is the perfect time to calm down and focus, and when the anthem is finished you get on your bike and head for the grid. Frankly, I don't see how you could ask for anything better.

As far as "every other race does not have to worry about this" - that's crap. Every time there's a red flag the guys in the next race are left wondering if that race will be restarted (which means a delay), or called complete (which means they're suddenly rushed). If there's cleanup needed as a result of the incident, that's another big question mark.

WolFeYeZ
January 22nd, 2014, 12:53 AM
How is getting ready before the opening ceremonies easier said than done? There are three 20 min(?) practice sessions between novice fast and opening ceremonies, if that isn't enough time to change your tires, fuel the bike and put the warmers on then you need to enlist some help. The opening ceremonies is the perfect time to calm down and focus, and when the anthem is finished you get on your bike and head for the grid. Frankly, I don't see how you could ask for anything better.
Im not talking about things that you can do far in advance such as warmers, but more checking pressures, getting back into your one piece on a 100 degree day, putting on your gloves, helmet, warming up the bike(rude if done during ceremony), etc. Its been a while since you were new to this stuff, right?

As far as "every other race does not have to worry about this" - that's crap. Every time there's a red flag the guys in the next race are left wondering if that race will be restarted (which means a delay), or called complete (which means they're suddenly rushed). If there's cleanup needed as a result of the incident, that's another big question mark.
Red flags are an unfortunate part of racing, but they do not happen before a specific race every weekend. You are right that people are delayed then rushed, but they still get 3 calls without ceremonies that should be respected. I've enjoyed the red flag rush much more than the ceremony rush personally. Also, have you not heard people complain about the rush caused by a red flag in the race before?

Louden
January 22nd, 2014, 10:17 AM
I was a novice just a few years ago and it didn't seem to be a problem.

I had everything done well before the opening ceremonies, so I can pay my respects.

If your rushing all that into 5 minuets before hand then you need to plan ahead or get some help because per the race day schedule you have one full hour on Saturday from the last novice practice to be ready for Novice GTU. Not many racers have that kind of luxury for their races as it is.

The GECCO
January 22nd, 2014, 01:24 PM
Im not talking about things that you can do far in advance such as warmers, but more checking pressures, getting back into your one piece on a 100 degree day, putting on your gloves, helmet, warming up the bike(rude if done during ceremony), etc. Its been a while since you were new to this stuff, right?

There's absolutely no reason that checking tires and getting into your gear can't be done before opening ceremonies. It's summer time and you just rode a practice session an hour ago, your bike gets all the warmup it needs riding to and sitting in pre-grid. And, yes, it's been a very long time since I was new to this. And when I was we adapted to the program instead of expecting the program to be adapted to us. Lots of racers want things changed to suit their individual needs but not everyone can be made happy, this is a fact of life.

Red flags are an unfortunate part of racing, but they do not happen before a specific race every weekend. You are right that people are delayed then rushed, but they still get 3 calls without ceremonies that should be respected. I've enjoyed the red flag rush much more than the ceremony rush personally. Also, have you not heard people complain about the rush caused by a red flag in the race before?

You're right, it happens before a specific race every race weekend, which means it should be pretty easy to prepare for. How is it a "ceremony rush" when YOU KNOW IT'S COMING?

Improvise, adapt, overcome.

JimWilson29
January 22nd, 2014, 01:26 PM
SATURDAY

Mandatory Riders Meeting 7:45am

Practice sessions from 8:00am to 11:15am
Novice Combined
Expert Slow/Medium Combined
Expert Fast
Novice Combined
Expert Slow/Medium Combined
Expert Fast
Novice Slow
Novice Fast
Expert Slow & Production Cup Qualifying
Expert Medium
Expert Fast

Opening Ceremonies

NGTU
Production 250/400/500 Cup - Race 1
Formula 40 GTO/GTU

Lunch

A Novice that runs Novice Fast practice will have at least an hour between practice and when the calls start for Novice GTU. I am having difficulty understanding the issue here.

bcmoore
January 22nd, 2014, 02:13 PM
I wasn't going to chime in but I think people are missing his point. Yes there is MORE than enough time to get everything prepped for the NGTU race after the novice practice session. What he is trying to say is that putting gloves and helmets on either during the National Anthem or immediately to make it to the grid is upsetting. My guess is that he would like to be able to just stand there and enjoy the ceremony as opposed to having to throw his stuff on for 3rd call.

I agree with him.. as a member of the military, i'm required to stand at attention during the anthem and show my respect.. I really don't think it's too much to ask for an extra 2 minutes after the national anthem for us to get our helmet and gloves on.

-Brian

JimWilson29
January 22nd, 2014, 02:30 PM
I wasn't going to chime in but I think people are missing his point. Yes there is MORE than enough time to get everything prepped for the NGTU race after the novice practice session. What he is trying to say is that putting gloves and helmets on either during the National Anthem or immediately to make it to the grid is upsetting. My guess is that he would like to be able to just stand there and enjoy the ceremony as opposed to having to throw his stuff on for 3rd call.

I agree with him.. as a member of the military, i'm required to stand at attention during the anthem and show my respect.. I really don't think it's too much to ask for an extra 2 minutes after the national anthem for us to get our helmet and gloves on.

-Brian

I don't think anyone is missing his point since he clearly stated he needs time for "checking gas, gearing up, checking tire pressures, getting the GoPro started, warming up the bike, etc". There is plenty of time for all of that.

However, I do agree with you that if you are running Nov GTU that you should have time to stand for our national anthem and still have time to get your helmet and gloves on and make it to the grid for third call. We will be sure to give everyone ample enough time for that.

WolFeYeZ
January 22nd, 2014, 03:02 PM
I don't think anyone is missing his point since he clearly stated he needs time for "checking gas, gearing up, checking tire pressures, getting the GoPro started, warming up the bike, etc". There is plenty of time for all of that.

Those were examples of things done during calls by many people. I'm not running Novice anymore so this no longer effects me. It is only something that I noticed last year. So I didn't "clearly state" any of the things you just said.

Essentially the current setup is equivalent to calling 1st, 2nd and 3rd call all at once. Its 1st call, stand and listen to the anthem, 2nd call, respectfully listen to Boots, 3rd call. From my point of view it defeats the purpose of the calls. You will also see a lot of Novices late to pregrid for this race compared to the later NOVO race.

Improvise, adapt, overcome.
Done that and won the NOVU championship.... Just trying to make things better for future Novices.

Do you do any kind of routine or setup during calls UglyDog or Gecco?

The GECCO
January 22nd, 2014, 03:29 PM
Do you do any kind of routine or setup during calls UglyDog or Gecco?

Yes, and it's nothing that can't be done around whatever else is going on as part of the MRA program.

You're going to find it hard to get sympathy from people who have to adapt their racing program around the daily duties required to run the club and/or the track itself. In 2009 I was the MRA president and the GM of HPR which was in it's very first season of operation. I finished 2nd (I think?) in Open Supersport and earned the #7 plate overall. If you think having to work around the opening ceremonies after an hour of downtime is a significant challenge, I have news for you.

Maybe I'm just an old grouch, but I'm seeing a significant increase in the number of people in the MRA and in the world in general who are used to having things made easy for them, and complain about the most insignificant things. It's pretty silly.

TRK
January 22nd, 2014, 06:56 PM
Interesting.

Yeeker
January 22nd, 2014, 11:05 PM
I never had a problem, but remember suiting up (and occasionally fueling or checking pressures) during ceremonies. Seemed that others had issues with it though because I remember people complaining that others weren't being respectful enough. Presumably, they were complaining about myself and other novices. Many people don't like change, but delaying 3rd call (or advancing ceremonies) seems like it might be easy enough.

cjmagnuss
January 23rd, 2014, 12:01 PM
I never had a problem with it either. I always had pressures checked, gas in the bike with leathers and boots on by 1st call which is when Boots does his invocation. 2nd call I put my helmet and gloves on. I always kind of liked standing for and hearing the national anthem with my helmet on knowing that when its done, it's time to GO!

I do see your point though about it being a conflicting situation to be in, especially for new novice nerves (aka bubble guts). However, I'm also not in favor of anything that could make the day run any longer.

303 cycle
January 23rd, 2014, 12:33 PM
Dumb idea but my 2 cents.

Why not have a 2-3 minute period (after the opening ceremony) via the race announcment letting fans attending know what's going on for the day?

For instance:
"Welcome race fans......racing....kick it off with Novice GTO........then XXX..... and finish up with XXX."

Then announce third call for Novice GTU?

That way attending race fans get an idea of whats going on for the day and that gives us Novices a chance to put on our helmets, etc......

Last time I checked it was: God/Country/Family/etc.

Not : God/Motorcycle Racing/Country

COS Mille
January 23rd, 2014, 07:00 PM
Bothers me when folks don't stop, stand up, take off your hats and show respect. Have second and third calls after opening, warmers off, helmets and gloves on, third call.

Louden
January 24th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Okay so if we add three more minuets what do I think is going to change?

Nothing, because people who are unprepared and "disrespectful" as stated above will still be doing the same thing because those who are habitually not ready will continue to be.

bcmoore
January 24th, 2014, 08:28 AM
My god people... we aren't talking about "not being ready" we are talking about 2 minutes after the anthem to put our helmets and gloves on... is that really to much to ask for?

JimWilson29
January 24th, 2014, 09:08 AM
My god people... we aren't talking about "not being ready" we are talking about 2 minutes after the anthem to put our helmets and gloves on... is that really to much to ask for?

I previously addressed this:

However, I do agree with you that if you are running Nov GTU that you should have time to stand for our national anthem and still have time to get your helmet and gloves on and make it to the grid for third call. We will be sure to give everyone ample enough time for that.

bcmoore
January 24th, 2014, 12:52 PM
I previously addressed this:

Yes.. I know you did.. thanks much prez..

This is what i was talking about..

[QUOTE=Louden;72351]Okay so if we add three more minuets what do I think is going to change?

Nothing, because people who are unprepared and "disrespectful" as stated above will still be doing the same thing because those who are habitually not ready will continue to be.[/QUOTE

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
January 26th, 2014, 12:08 PM
I think it's worth considering Brad & Brian's request to not intermingle open ceremonies with race calls. I totally know why we do it, but it seems like we're desperately trying to save a couple minutes where we really don't need to. It's probably been longer since I was a novice than anyone else on this thread, but I still remember the pre-race anxiousness.

Having just a couple minutes to get their race face on through 1st,2nd,3rd calls without also having to try to focus on opening ceremonies _I_think_ would be a reasonable courtesy to our novices. We could still combine them on Sunday when we really do have to save time.

If the AFM had mixed opening ceremonies with 1st and 2nd call when T-Bag was a novice, he wouldn't have had time for a much needed 2nd wipe.

jmaher
January 31st, 2014, 08:54 AM
I don't expect everyone will really understand this, but as someone who spent 27 years in the military, I have to say it does bug me a little when people are warming up bikes, wearing hats/helmets, getting ready and stuff when the anthem is being sung. I understand it is hard not to do this and hop on the bike right after the anthem at NovU 3rd call, but I do notice. Even some of my friends who come to the races have noticed. I'm sure some would still do this regardless, but maybe not as many.

Joe

TRK
January 31st, 2014, 03:31 PM
Like Jim said the schedule will be adjusted so everyone has the opportunity to pay their respects.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
February 1st, 2014, 12:33 PM
Like Jim said the schedule will be adjusted so everyone has the opportunity to pay their respects.

That's good to hear. Can you post some details about the adjustment?

TRK
February 5th, 2014, 01:14 PM
WE will implement some changes so fans and racers will have time to pay their respects. Jim will address it at the general meeting and at some point on the forum.

JimWilson29
February 6th, 2014, 10:07 AM
That's good to hear. Can you post some details about the adjustment?

After careful consideration, we have decided to make the following change so that everyone has ample enough time to pay their respects during the National Anthem and be prepared to make it to the pre-grid by 3rd call:

1st call will be made immediately following the National Anthem.
2nd call will be made 2 minutes later
3rd call will be made 2 minutes later

The impact to the race day schedule should only be an additional 4 minutes.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
February 9th, 2014, 12:22 PM
1st call will be made immediately following the National Anthem.
2nd call will be made 2 minutes later
3rd call will be made 2 minutes later

That's awesome. I'm sure even TrashCan Tony could finish his "prep" in that amount of time.